Sponsored by:

Eternal IMS Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:32 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
Look at the site. Comes with new stock or ceramic bearing.
http://tunersmotorsports.com/?page_id=103
Also discussion on Pelican with manufacturer
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...injection.html
Good catch, looks like I was a bit too quick reading their page.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Bristol
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the ad for the Eternal IMS fix also and this got me to looking at what people were saying about it and the other fixes. I have not weighed in on this topic much, until the last few days. I thought I'd weigh in on this one too.

Frankly the Eternal IMS fix from Vertex scares me. No data, no information to really back up their product, not a word.

1. The roller bearing is traditionally great for radial loads but bearing manufacturers rate it as "unsuitable" for thrust loads. Vertex calls it a "thrust" roller bearing but does not explain (again no technical detail) how it handles thrust loads. The bearing at the other end of the IMS was not made to handle thrust loads. The stock ball bearing that is so much trouble was indeed made to handle thrust loads. So the stock bearing is weak when it comes to radial loads, but probably sufficient for the limited axial loads you would see. The Eternal IMS addresses the one issue - radial loads, but fails to provide a means to handle the axial loads.

2. This is a steel bearing with even greater contact area than a ball bearing, but still with marginal, at best, lubrication. This bearing needs MORE lubrication than the stock bearing and a lot more than the ceramic ball bearing. The fact that no provision is given for additional lubrication likewise scares me.

I don't think this is a viable option... best to look at the other ball bearing options, direct oil feed, or plain bearing. Now IF there was a provision to handle thrust and a direct oil feed was added, then this might be a very nice solution. Without those two issues addressed though I would not dare put this product in either of my cars needing an IMS fix.

Kirk Bristol
Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Crossfire
3rd Gear

If somebody interested i Have a Ln Engeneering doble bearing never installed brand NEW for sale

paid 650$ 4 days ago , i let it go for 600
bimmerbenz87@hotmail.com

787 218 4877
Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM
White, Walter
AutoX

Hello Rennlist! My first post, new owner of my first Porsche, a Boxster, '04 basic.
I like the Tune RS Direct Oil Feed solution, but tapping into the oiling system scares me a little. The Tune RS web site mentions a .5 PSI drop in pressure using their system, but they do not mention at what oil viscosity (if I am correct). If there is a Standard Oil Viscosity that is used in the industry, I am not aware.

What I would like to see is a manual Direct Grease Injection, where a stock IMS cover could have a hole drilled and tapped into it for a fitting that the owner could fit a grease gun onto and squirt grease into the bearing at regular intervals (while doing an oil change for instance). Maybe an additional grease exit tube could be fit so that the excess grease could be captured for 2 reasons. The escaping grease could be compared by volume or weight to the grease injected. This could verify that the front seal of the bearing is intact. The exit grease could also be checked for any debris, verifying the condition of bearing and seal.

I believe a tapered roller bearing can handle thrust, like many wheel bearings these days. But I think that the Tune RS site mentions that rollers conduct too much heat into the bearing because of the increased surface area of the rollers, compared to ball.

Last edited by White, Walter; 10-31-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:26 PM
M3BimmerBilly
Instructor

the best fix for IMS, slipping sleeves, cracked heads, exploding AOS, and pourus blocks is to buy part number: Porsche 997.2 9A1 DFI
Old 10-31-2013, 05:18 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing porous about this statement, M3!
But this thread will have long expired by the time some of us will be able to afford one such as a decent '09 C2 which is still well north of $60k ... or around $70k, north of the 49th parallel.
Kirk Bristol: Thanks for the technical content: Appreciated!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Direct grease injection......not a bad idea. Build it and see how it does.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by M3BimmerBilly
the best fix for IMS, slipping sleeves, cracked heads, exploding AOS, and pourus blocks is to buy part number: Porsche 997.2 9A1 DFI
You mean one of these beasts?? Been developing the DFI engine since 2010 now :-) The first one we pulled apart had 11 miles on the car..

This one is brand new, never ran outside the factory and is on my bench now... There's a reason why its here. Waiting on contact back from Porsche on what we've found on this engine and the one that we took apart just before it with 4,160 miles on it.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:43 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Another one missing an o-ring?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Another one missing an o-ring?
Fully documented and when it was pulled apart I had 8 verifiers standing by to see it.

I am now looking to get 10-15 cars into the shop of various body styles, Boxster, Cayman, 991 and etc from 12-13 model years and inspect them to carry out my own study.

The only issue is doing this inspection will kill the engine warranty, which might be needed.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:50 PM
White, Walter
AutoX

I have done a little research on the single row bearing and have a theory that it is the ball cage that is coming apart, leading to rapid destruction of the races and *****, and even displacement of the inner race (timing chain slips).
Further research about the ball cage shows that a solid brass cage would be far better than the very thin, frail, stamped soft metal cage found on the single row bearing. But brass cannot be used on the smaller sized bearings like the single row IMSB.
So I am wondering if the 2005 - 2008 larger sized IMS bearing has the brass cage. Anyone have one of these larger bearings or a picture?
Old 11-18-2013, 12:58 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Walter maybe you should stick to cooking m#$% cause your way off base.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:15 PM
White, Walter
AutoX

Originally Posted by KrazyK
.... your way off base.
Why? Does this mean the later, larger bearing uses the same stamped metal cage?

Last edited by White, Walter; 11-18-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

What research did you do?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:31 PM
White, Walter
AutoX

I am continuing my research. I may start a Ball Bearing thread when I have more information. Just wish I could get a look at the 987 bearing cage.
The cage on the left is the cage I think would be very helpful with the IMS bearing. The cages in the middle are typical of what is used on the size bearing that the IMSB is (6204). The photo on the right is what can happen when the cage comes apart.
Attached Images    

Last edited by White, Walter; 11-20-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Eternal IMS Fix?