Sponsored by:

zip in replacement cab window

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:36 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default zip in replacement cab window

I have the dreaded glued in rear window. It separated a few years ago and I did the Fris fix the less stitching and it got me another two years. It's separating again and I want a more permanent solution. Has anyone seen this replacement zip in window? Can it be that simple? It's certainly cheaper than stitching in a new window or replacing the top.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-996-...20c0c0&vxp=mtr
Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Today I had the occasion to put the roof into service mode and did notice that my rear plastic window is in fact zipped in place. I have had no trouble with it. I had the top back solving a non working cab top. Incidentally I did solve the convertible top problem with fingers and legs crossed. Hope you solve your window problem. I don't know how easy/hard it would be to install a zip in window. If you needed glue I would be looking towards the world of scuba diving. Glue used in dry suits would be the ideal types.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:08 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

my window is zippered in but why have we gone to all this trouble with glue and stitching if it's that easy to just zip in a new one. Anyone know why this wouldn't work?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The zipper is for the headliner .The window is laminated to the top using a special apparatus .I tried the zipper window and it did not work .That was several years ago and they may have perfected the process . The zipper is small and difficult to align .Further the working space is awkward .
It is far easier to remove the top have a new window sewn in .
Before you go the zipper route find someone who has successfully done it .
Old 08-20-2013, 09:18 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
The zipper is for the headliner .The window is laminated to the top using a special apparatus .
I believe dc is correct. I messed with the zipper a few years ago. It does not seem to remove the plastic window.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

There are guys in Dallas that do tops for $1000-$1200 dollars so it wouldn't make sense to do the new stitch-in window. That runs about $700 so might as well replace the whole thing. I don't use the top much anyway so don't care if it's not German quality ($2300 is my best quote). There's ebay protection and maybe I can get the guy to commit to refunding me if it doesn't work. I would find it surprising that the guy would go to the trouble of creating a product with assurances that it will solve the problem that doesn't work. I know.....it's the internet. That's like saying it's surprising there are scam artists in this world. So if anyone has tried it I would love a testimonial.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 PM
DenverSteve
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Dallas is a Porsche quality/factory top, that sounds like a deal. If it's just an upholstery shop that does tops, be very wary. The Porsche top is extremely well made and quiet, and insulated, and....... not worth doing a less expensive replacement, just to save a few dollars. A lot of time, cheaper means unlined and uninsulated.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 PM
wucash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwiii
I have the dreaded glued in rear window. It separated a few years ago and I did the Fris fix the less stitching and it got me another two years. It's separating again and I want a more permanent solution. Has anyone seen this replacement zip in window? Can it be that simple? It's certainly cheaper than stitching in a new window or replacing the top.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-996-...20c0c0&vxp=mtr
What is the friss fix? My top window just seperated today. there is big gap at the bottom left corner, I have a feeling by tomorrow morning it will be full length wise.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:48 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

It must be the time for tops. I just ordered a new one for my '01. The TX heat caused a separation. I glued it together, but figured with it being 12 yr old, I'd replace it. Choice was for the plastic window, with seams from GAHH - $1400 installed. They also had glass windows for $800 more installed, but I couldn't see the value in that as I have the top down most of the time.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 PM
wucash
Racer

Originally Posted by wucash
What is the friss fix? My top window just seperated today. there is big gap at the bottom left corner, I have a feeling by tomorrow morning it will be full length wise.
I did check the car just now and I have the zipper, but that does not solve my problem. Even if I replace the part with the zipper the gap would still be there. So i think I just need to re-glue it.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:46 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just sayin'

The actual rear plastic window on early 996s is not zippered in. The OEM window was afixed to the canvas via a high heat/pressure method that cannot be replicated in the after market.

Once the window starts to separate, there are two reliable choices. One, have a new window sewn in. Two, replace the top and window. Labor costs for the two choices are about the same ($6-700) because in both cases the top must be removed/re-installed to get a quality fit/stretch.

While admitting I'm not an expert here, I have travelled this road a couple of times...FWIW.

relinuca
Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 AM
wucash
Racer

Originally Posted by relinuca
The actual rear plastic window on early 996s is not zippered in. The OEM window was afixed to the canvas via a high heat/pressure method that cannot be replicated in the after market.

Once the window starts to separate, there are two reliable choices. One, have a new window sewn in. Two, replace the top and window. Labor costs for the two choices are about the same ($6-700) because in both cases the top must be removed/re-installed to get a quality fit/stretch.

While admitting I'm not an expert here, I have travelled this road a couple of times...FWIW.

relinuca
I don't need new window its in good shape. Either way I am looking at around 600-700 job?
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:32 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by wucash
I don't need new window its in good shape. Either way I am looking at around 600-700 job?
Hey Wucash, how did you get a photo of my canvas top?

I wonder how many others have this problem. Probably more than experienced IMSB (had to work this in to the thread).

Porsche should be aware of this separation issue and take action to rectify the situation. Poor engineering and faulty design on this integral part of the auto. These tops should hold up for many years.

My canvas is still in great shape and it's a pity that the window seam has failed.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM
wucash
Racer

Originally Posted by babylonboots
Hey Wucash, how did you get a photo of my canvas top?

I wonder how many others have this problem. Probably more than experienced IMSB (had to work this in to the thread).

Porsche should be aware of this separation issue and take action to rectify the situation. Poor engineering and faulty design on this integral part of the auto. These tops should hold up for many years.

My canvas is still in great shape and it's a pity that the window seam has failed.
You said you glued yours? how long did that last for? Is there any temporary solutions, I am thinking of upgrading to Turbo next year so don't want to be spending too much money on this one.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The name of the waterproof glue we use in the scuba world is 'AQUA SEAL'. It is referred too as the Gorilla Glue of the scuba world. Put the top into 'service mode'. If you have the zipper then unzip along the side to be glued. If not then work from inside the back seat. Do the job and clamp it in position until completely dry. You could roll a small wooden roller along the glued part to move any bubbles by holding a piece of wood behind it. 24hours with clamps on the glued part would eb ample time for complete drying. Then zip the window back in place. Hey I have had no need (touch wood) to have worked on mine but have glued many parts of a scuba dry suit in this method with no leaks afterwards. When/If the time ever comes that mine is coming apart at the seams (Like my brain does owning a 996) that is the road I would take.

Quick Reply: zip in replacement cab window