Sponsored by:

996 - a step child?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I love them anyway, but all 911's are 'disaster' cars by any unemotional standard.

Every single generation had significant issues both mechanically and with public perception in comparison to whatever beloved 911 it replaced.

On air-cooled cars, the list goes on and on. Just a few examples include broken head studs, soft valves and valve guides, exploding airboxes, crappy chain tensioners, unstoppable oil leaks, dis-functional air conditioning, sloppy shifting, early failure on gearbox syncros, significant cosmetic and structural rust issues, terrible starters, failing ignition switches and ground cables, sagging door hinges, finicky fuel injection, unreliable oil level gauges, failing electric windows, etc. etc. etc. Many of these problems are quite expensive to address.

Despite a small minority of folks on this forum who constantly feed the gloom and doom mentality, the 996 is a much more reliable car with lower cost of ownership than any 911 before it, all while providing higher performance levels and comfort. I wonder how these 996 G&D'ers would have coped with rust issues in long-noses, the problem set of early 911 SC's or the 993's notorious valve issues.

If there was a fundamental fault of the 996, it is that it was too good. It broke the 'enthusiast car' paradigm and became a car for anybody with a medium to fat checkbook. Too easy to drive, too reasonably priced, too reliable, too comfortable, and too many made. All resulting in too many sold to non-enthusiast owners just looking for a sporty status car (as evidenced by the huge number of tiptronic cab's)

As long as 996's are viewed as enthusiast cars along with all other 911's, they are fantastic. Easily the best Porsche you can get for under $30K if you aren't looking for a garage queen.
This might be the best thing I have ever read on this forum ever.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why would you pick an image of a modified, wide-body, aero-kitted 993 (particularly one with 996 turbo twists on it) to defend the basic styling of a 993?
I might be wrong but I think you could get the 993 C4S with the wing and wheels as factory options. Maybe someone else knows? Its one of my favorites, thats why.

Sure looks like it to me.

Last edited by KrazyK; 04-27-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I've educated myself plenty. The 928 has timing belts, and half of the motors are interference. That alone is silly (and yes, its silly when ferrari does it). Water pump impellars score the block. Oiling. GTS oil burning.

Show me a 928 owner that doesn't have a spare shortblock sitting around and I'll be surprised.

Superior how? They are more spacious, more comfortable, and have better air conditioning. Beyond that...well...I got nothing. Don't even get me started on the Pasha interior, which looks like a bad acid trip. way to go 70s

Now, you threw a supercharger on your car and it will keep up with 996TTs. I threw a blower and some other **** onto a POS mustang and it would keep up with an Enzo till nearly 200 mph. That means what?

The body looks like a door stop with a lump of mozzerlla welded onto the back. How you think it looks modern, I have no idea. P.s. its not a supercar.
I see that we will never have an intelligent conversation since you already have your mind set. Too bad as thia could have been a good one. Do you judge and put down people based on no first hand experience like you do with cars?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It seems the 993 is really the perfect car for you... You hate the M96 engine, plus you never drive your car and want a perfectly detailed specimen sitting inside the garage.
I notice you didn't dispute the value comment. The 993 value continues to climb while ours plummets faster than a 90's tech stock.

Imre, youve been here 10 years and you have to ask this?
Do you judge and put down people based on no first hand experience like you do with cars?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

To clarify, the 996 does NOT share its front end with the Boxster. Rather, it is the other way around: it's the Boxster that shares its front end with the 996. The 996 was designed first. As a cost-saving measure, the later Boxster was adapted from some 996 components.

Oh, and for a $3 roll of shelf paper and a razor blade, instant oval headlights for the 996! (at least that's what it looks like this guy did):
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM
bkjwhipple
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love them anyway, but all 911's are 'disaster' cars by any unemotional standard.

Every single generation had significant issues both mechanically and with public perception in comparison to whatever beloved 911 it replaced.

On air-cooled cars, the list goes on and on. Just a few examples include broken head studs, soft valves and valve guides, exploding airboxes, crappy chain tensioners, unstoppable oil leaks, dis-functional air conditioning, sloppy shifting, early failure on gearbox syncros, significant cosmetic and structural rust issues, terrible starters, failing ignition switches and ground cables, sagging door hinges, finicky fuel injection, unreliable oil level gauges, failing electric windows, etc. etc. etc. Many of these problems are quite expensive to address.

Despite a small minority of folks on this forum who constantly feed the gloom and doom mentality, the 996 is a much more reliable car with lower cost of ownership than any 911 before it, all while providing higher performance levels and comfort. I wonder how these 996 G&D'ers would have coped with rust issues in long-noses, the problem set of early 911 SC's or the 993's notorious valve issues.

If there was a fundamental fault of the 996, it is that it was too good. It broke the 'enthusiast car' paradigm and became a car for anybody with a medium to fat checkbook. Too easy to drive, too reasonably priced, too reliable, too comfortable, and too many made. All resulting in too many sold to non-enthusiast owners just looking for a sporty status car (as evidenced by the huge number of tiptronic cab's)

As long as 996's are viewed as enthusiast cars along with all other 911's, they are fantastic. Easily the best Porsche you can get for under $30K if you aren't looking for a garage queen.
Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
This might be the best thing I have ever read on this forum ever.
agreed. well put. / thread
Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
This thread is absurd.

So far three out of my friends asked if my 2002 996 was a brand new Porsche. To the outside public, there is absolutely no difference between 993, 996, or 991. Less than 1% of the world's population owns a Porsche 911; other 99%+ look at 911 Porsches and either smile, point, or shake fists at them.

Total production number of 996 cars was 162,000 + ~15,000 or so 1998 and 2005 cars cars (Source). In 2011 there were total of 59,929,016 passenger cars produced (Source). This makes ALL of 996 Porsches produced a mere 0.3% a total number of cars produced in 2011 ALONE. 996 is a rare, great performing, and iconic car. General public sees it a super car and couldn't care less about which headlights you have. All 911s still sound and look the same to outsiders. Very few people in this world can afford a late model Porsche, most settle for the wall poster. Enjoy your cars gents (and ladies), don't argue about headlights or car values.
Well put!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is my step child - 04 GT3 with 4k miles. It is hideous.

Last edited by Riz; 09-04-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Soaringman
Racer

993 front end = Volkswagen
996 front end = modern and beautiful, that's why the boxter copied it

Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^. Fabulous ! Style preference is subjective, makes no sense to argue what "looks" better.. Riz that car looks Great to me !
Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I might be wrong but I think you could get the 993 C4S with the wing and wheels as factory options. Maybe someone else knows? Its one of my favorites, thats why.

Sure looks like it to me.
Looks like a turbo that has S styling added. See turbo + turbo S side by side below:
Name:  33880848.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  240.2 KB

Turbo twist was around for 993.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 PM
thedugger1
Instructor

Well, I for one couldn't be happier with my 996, even if it's apparently the biggest piece of **** Porsche the world ever experienced. I guess I'm in to poop!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Stand corrected...
A very similar looking twist style wheel came on some 993 Turbo's

Still, tons of 996 turbo-twists retrofitted onto 993's!

Last edited by pfbz; 08-15-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by thedugger1
Well, I for one couldn't be happier with my 996, even if it's apparently the biggest piece of **** Porsche the world ever experienced. I guess I'm in to poop!
no no, that was the 928, get it right

I'm pretty sure turbo-twists were first introduced on the 996 Turbo in 2000. Originally hollow-spoked for light weight, then built more conventionally but visually identical.

Never available on the 993, just a very popular owner upgrade with the air-cooled folks wanting to 'update' the look of their car!

seriously? How many pictures does the guy have to post? Hollow spoke turbo twists came on the 993 turbo. the same style is on the 993 in the picture on the previous page. Yes, the 996 also has turbo twists of a different style.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:55 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

KrazyK puts up the perfect example of how beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Right from day one the 993 turbo looked awkward to me. The rear fenders are too wide, and that heavy looking melted cheese looking tail is just the icing on the cake.

Boy I'm glad you like it dude, but it sure as shootin' isn't perfect styling. Way far from it....count me out.

The MkII 996 GT3 on the other hand. Now that's a looker.

Hey - Maybe the air cooled fanboys should ..you know...shuffle off to their own forum?

Quick Reply: 996 - a step child?