Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Life with the 99 C2 DD - Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013 | 10:07 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Weekend Update - Still a hot soggy mess in Florida, the minute you step outside you break out in a sweat. Temps running 94-95 with a killer heat index. My wife and I ran all the weekend errands and shopping, plus a quick run down I-95. The car ran great, AC blasting away, cooling fans running, never a hesitation on a restart. Starter spins fast and the engine starts right up. Engine runs sweet, strong and no problems (affirmation of thstone's comment - it does run better!). Interesting debate on battery life. I think either extreme environment, cold or hot, will bring out the weak link in a system. In my case, I don't blame the heat for the battery getting weak per se, just that it was getting old, pushing almost 4 years, and not able to keep up with demand. Seems a fresh battery corrected that issue and certainly has brought peace of mind. IMHO this would be the same for any vehicle anywhere, not just a Porsche specific issue. Tires, batteries, belts, etc. all age and have to be replaced. I am pleased with my choice of battery and just wanted to share that. Perhaps we should change the debate on how to slow the ravages of time, sun and heat on our lovely leather interiors! Work day and ready to pound out some more miles....have a good one!
Old 08-05-2013 | 02:05 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Glad you get it sorted out. Heat itself may not kill the battery directly but lead-acid batteries self discharge much faster at higher temperature. So if you cannot keep the battery fully charged most of the time, it's going to sulphate eventually more quickly at hotter climate.

The worst is a car used infrequently parked in a hot garage.

Quick Reply: Life with the 99 C2 DD - Battery Replacement