Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know what this window seal is called and where I can buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Razkal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know what this window seal is called and where I can buy it?

Hello all,

I have an 02 C4 cab and one of my rear window seals is shredded. I covered it in duct tape as a temp fix but need to get this sorted asap. I have searched everywhere for this piece but had no luck yet. Can anyone tell me if they have had this issue before and if they were able to buy the part that I have circled?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

This is my first post with an answer rather than a dumb question or comment.

I just did both of these in my car. Wind noise almost stopped.

Part number
996 543 615 (left) 03 and 996 543 616 (right) 03

I got mine from sonnen Porsche online. Go to their website. Put in year and make of car. Go to body section, then view all 66 part diagrams. then scroll down until you see the picture of it. They call it "quarter glass gasket". It is part number 2 ( need to specify left or right). You can't find it by Porsche part number on their website. It is $34.28 plus shipping.

To remove put the top down. Then push the microswitch where the latch goes. It is at the top of the windshield. You can just use your finger. When you do this you will be able to raise the rear quarter window. Start at the bottom and pull the seal out.

The only tough part is that at the top it is glued. I used a plastic scraper and screwdriver to remove the remnants of the gasket. This can be a pain. Be patient. Then use some soap/water to lube the channel and start from the bottom and slide the gasket in. There is a catch at the top to hold the gasket. I just used a drop of superglue to hold the gasket.

Only takes a few minutes per side. Just make sure you get all of the glue/gasket out or it won't sit right.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Razkal
Advanced

Originally Posted by dgjks6
This is my first post with an answer rather than a dumb question or comment.

I just did both of these in my car. Wind noise almost stopped.

Part number
996 543 615 (left) 03 and 996 543 616 (right) 03

I got mine from sonnen Porsche online. Go to their website. Put in year and make of car. Go to body section, then view all 66 part diagrams. then scroll down until you see the picture of it. They call it "quarter glass gasket". It is part number 2 ( need to specify left or right). You can't find it by Porsche part number on their website. It is $34.28 plus shipping.

To remove put the top down. Then push the microswitch where the latch goes. It is at the top of the windshield. You can just use your finger. When you do this you will be able to raise the rear quarter window. Start at the bottom and pull the seal out.

The only tough part is that at the top it is glued. I used a plastic scraper and screwdriver to remove the remnants of the gasket. This can be a pain. Be patient. Then use some soap/water to lube the channel and start from the bottom and slide the gasket in. There is a catch at the top to hold the gasket. I just used a drop of superglue to hold the gasket.

Only takes a few minutes per side. Just make sure you get all of the glue/gasket out or it won't sit right.
Thank you so much!!!! This question was driving me crazy as I am very good at sourcing things, but this one had me beat. At least I know what I am after now.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 AM
jimmybeer
4th Gear

hello i have same issue with worn gasket on rear quarterlight, i have purchased the part and am going to attempt the replacement.
one thing i dont understand is where is the microswitch to make the rear window raise? i have a 911 997 cab?
thanks in advance

jamie

Only takes a few minutes per side. Just make sure you get all of the glue/gasket out or it won't sit right.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-17-2014, 11:39 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

There is a switch inside where the hook from the top of the roof connects at the top of the windshield.

Just put a screw driver up where the hook connects and you can raise the windows
Old 03-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
There is a switch inside where the hook from the top of the roof connects at the top of the windshield.

Just put a screw driver up where the hook connects and you can raise the windows
On a 996, you can just use your pinkie finger to push the switch. The 997 might be different tho.
I use this feature to raise the quarter windows along with the front windows when I am driving with the top down if it is a cold day. When the top is down I think it looks better with all four windows up than just the front two up.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:23 AM
jimmybeer
4th Gear

oh i see, i have a switch that can raise the rear windows, i assumed you meant i could raise the windows higher so you can access the bottom.

ok, i hope its easy, having a go this weekend

thanks for your replies
Old 03-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Razkal
Advanced

when I replaced mine, I found it much easier to remove them vs. install the new ones. I ended up getting my shop to do it as I did not want to risk ripping them since they were special order and took weeks to arrive.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM
jimmybeer
4th Gear

for anyones interest.
completed job on saturday, found it a bit fiddly, but got there in there end, about fifteen mins all in one side

thanks for your help
Old 03-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine this morning - waiting for the rain to stop for a test drive. Everyone is spot on for the process - I would add one thing, when you take them out make sure you break the glue seal in the top and then they just slide out from the bottom (after you loosen the piece along the way). This way you won't tear the old one getting it out and then have to fiddle getting the remnants out of the channel the replacement goes into.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 AM
jimmybeer
4th Gear

yes top tip, wish i had read this before i did the other side at the weekend!

pulled from the bottom up, left a big sliver in the track that i couldnt initially see, got very hot under the collar expecting a garage visit!

fished it out and all good

Quick Reply: Does anyone know what this window seal is called and where I can buy it?