Sponsored by:

Where to Buy - Muffler Bypass Pipes - 996

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to Buy - Muffler Bypass Pipes - 996

Where can I find and will the Bypass pipes fit stock tips? Notice that most of the bypass pipes have tips on them? 2002 996 C2
Would a local muffler/exhaust shop be able to make them?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a set off Fleabay for $159 delivered (Justspeed vendor?)... polished stainless steel and fit is perfect centered... oval tips look great... only thing is it required 2 new clamps since the OEM ones were made for larger diameter sleeves and could not tighten down enough... Car sounds like an angry stock car at low rpm and wails like an exotic up to redline... I'm a big fan, it really quickens your pulse, this is not my daily driver or I may not be able to accept such raucous operating conditions.

Also measured it... 54 lbs off the tail end in dropping stock cans.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

yea those stock mufflers were incredibly heavy. If it was my daily I wouldn't have done it but its a secondary vehicle.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

I want to use my stock tip as they are powder coated in black and not a big fan of the cheap after market tips.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Viper6
Racer

Easier to get those E-bay ones powder coated maybe is what I'd do? They do not look cheap to me, especially after you murder them out.

Otherwise custom fab work with a local muffler shop? Good luck
Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
I just got a set off Fleabay for $159 delivered (Justspeed vendor?)... polished stainless steel and fit is perfect centered... oval tips look great... only thing is it required 2 new clamps since the OEM ones were made for larger diameter sleeves and could not tighten down enough... Car sounds like an angry stock car at low rpm and wails like an exotic up to redline... I'm a big fan, it really quickens your pulse, this is not my daily driver or I may not be able to accept such raucous operating conditions.

A loss in the tail end of our porsches of 54 lbs. is amazing, nice.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 PM
palestar
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6

Just did this as well and actually impressed with the fitment. I bought the same ones from eBay, why anyone would pay Fabspeed 3x the price is beyond me.

I actually took the two hoops off each off the OEM clamps and reused those for the straight pipes, worked perfectly.

Went for a drive this weekend with a C4S with full fabspeed exhaust and headers, my muffler bypass sounded very similar for a fraction of the cost and a huge weight savings.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:16 PM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these even legal? These will completely bypass the mufflers? What about sound polution?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:48 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Its TOO LOUD! You want get away with this, bruh, especially in Canada.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Why not chip in a bit more and get the Fister D mod? A good exhaust/muffler shop should be able to work on your stock mufflers. If its not the weight savings you're after (again, for track purposes I assume), bypass pipes are obnoxious. Tonnes of threads here saying they drone pretty badly and can't be lived with on a daily basis.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:42 PM
palestar
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 48 Posts

Tons of guys also won't drive their cars in the rain for some ridiculous fear of god knows what... I've been driving the car with the bypass pipes for a couple weeks and they are no louder than any other sport exhaust I've had on previous cars.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the responses...some more helpful than others. :-)
My question was " where to buy muffler bypass pipes that uses the stock tips"

Appreciate your concern about loudness and practicality...and I have the stock mufflers replace with GHL and looking for something a little more aggressive.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

They are obnoxiously loud for a DD but totally worth it for goosing the throttle, especially under an overpass where you can hear it resonate or if you are going to an autox or track day. I keep them on mine but I am usually driving the whisper-quiet BMW.

I think they are illegally loud if you get into the throttle around police. I've taken them to a few SCCA events where they had sound monitoring and didn't get flagged so I think they are under the limit, which is 94db I think.

I no joke got turned down for a job because of them. I got feedback after the interview that "my Porsche was too loud" and the place was in Daytona of all places!

Mine were used for $75 on ebay. Worth it for the weight savings. I have never seen ones that need separate tips but you could get them made for sure by a muffler shop.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:07 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Any decent muffler shop will be able to do it for very little $$$$. You can even do it yourself if you have a spot welder. I've seen auto parts stores selling already bent 90 degree exhaust pipes in various sizes and lengths that you can cut and modify to your specs.

knfeparty do you mind sharing what type of a job/position you were applying....
Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Sure. It was a company that makes components for aircraft engines, and I was applying as a facilities manager i.e. process improvement, making sure all of the manufacturing equipment stays up and running. Basic mech. engineering job.

You would think they would have been all about high speed loud stuff!

Quick Reply: Where to Buy - Muffler Bypass Pipes - 996