996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Radio reception reeks. Any suggestons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:19 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts
Default Radio reception reeks. Any suggestons?

The radio reception in my 2003 C2 is horrendous. I can barely get any AM stations at all, and they have lots of static. I like to listen to talk radio during long drives, so I'd really like to improve the reception.

As far as I can tell from extensive internet research, there is no way to add an antenna that increases AM reception. I am thinking of putting in a whole new double-DIN receiver with all the toys so that I can add I-pod capability, GPS, phone., etc. Will that improve the reception? Also, can you guys tell me roughly what to expect cost-wise (receiver plus installation) ? Thank you in advance.

(I'll also post this on the A/V forum, but I wanted 996-specific replies, so that's why it's posted here too.)

Last edited by Cuda911; 06-25-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:59 AM
RV4Flyer
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have exactly the same problem with my 03 C2. FM is also a problem although not as bad. I was going to pull my radio out and check the antenna connections. Aside from the reception the sound quality is terrible, these are really crappy radios.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM
MichaelEverson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went aftermarket double DIN. Its even worse now. I only get 2 FM channels. No AM
Mike
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

I have the same problem (CDR220) with AM reception, though FM isn't bad. Luckily the sports talk station around here added an FM station and it comes in very clear. I added an iPad cable (from Becker Sound) and use my iPod Touch for music. I'm very happy with this set-up.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM
trapperdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is amazing that such an expensive car came with such a pitiful radio. Even under warranty the dealership said the AM reception could not be fixed and "that's just the way the car is from the factory." My after-market radio also does not pick up any AM stations, just engine whine. I believe there is some kind of AM interference being produced by the alternator so maybe some kind of alternator noise filter might help... but I doubt it.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

FWIW, My aftermarket Double Din Pioneer gets perfect AM/FM. No issues at all on the rare occasion I actuality listen to AM or FM
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I listen to my engine :/
Old 06-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
The radio reception in my 2003 C2 is horrendous. I can barely get any AM stations at all, and they have lots of static. I like to listen to talk radio during long drives, so I'd really like to improve the reception.

As far as I can tell from extensive internet research, there is no way to add an antenna that increases AM reception. I am thinking of putting in a whole new double-DIN receiver with all the toys so that I can add I-pod capability, GPS, phone., etc. Will that improve the reception? Also, can you guys tell me roughly what to expect cost-wise (receiver plus installation) ? Thank you in advance.

(I'll also post this on the A/V forum, but I wanted 996-specific replies, so that's why it's posted here too.)
Suffering the same behavior from my '02 Boxster's radio.

What I did to resurrect the radio was to remove the plastic panel at the passenger side A-pillar and remove the screw that holds a small box to the A-pillar metal.

I take some emory cloth and rub where the tang/tab of the box presses against the body metal and the surface of the tang/tab then bolt the box into place. Do not over-tighten the screw.

Just this relatively simple "fix" greatly improves the radio reception.

Unfortunately the improvement doesn't last and it seems each time I do this the improvement lasts less long than the time before.

The last time I tried coating the body metal and the screw threads
with some grease thinking this would postpone the surface corrosion the aluminum tab developed from exposure to oxygen but the grease didn't help.

So after a while the radio has just gotten worse. I can use it locally since AM signal is so strong for the traffic radio I listen to but for any other stations or for any radio reception when the signals are weaker forget it.

And I just haven't had the desire to repeat this "fix" every so often. My concern is breaking the plastic panel that I have to remove.

My 996 Turbo's radio reception is slowly going downhill though at a slower rate than the Boxster's. I have not yet bothered to try to "fix" the Turbo's radio reception as it is not bad enough to put out the effort.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I listen to my engine :/
Old 06-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

My after-market radio also does not pick up any AM stations, just engine whine. I believe there is some kind of AM interference being produced by the alternator so maybe some kind of alternator noise filter might help... but I doubt it.
Yeah, I think that in general the electrical system has poor isolation. When I plug my cell phone into the cigarette lighter, I hear static through the radio. I wonder if an A/V guru can isolate things, and if that would help? Further, how would I find such a guru?

I have ready many places that the OEM Porsche radios are poor... hence my question.... will a new radio improve things? Or is there something inherent about the whole car that makes radio reception poor?

I do often enjoy listening to the engine, but when stuck in 3 mph traffic, a good radio talk show would help. Maybe I need to throw the car into neutral and rev the engine, for my listening pleasure.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM
RV4Flyer
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Vas dis? You vant za radio to vewk....NINE! You vil only listen to zee engine! Dumkaf Americans vith ur silly little rock and roll. Nine! you vill not leesen to zee baseball match, you vill need to buy zee teeket und cheer for za fatherland at zee football match.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Thanks, Macster... I'll check that electrical contact. In fact, I do greatly suspect that some contact is loose somewhere.

Anyone else want to weigh in on the issue? And what about cost?... surely plenty have done a radio upgrade. I guess the readers of the A/V forum are a lame bunch... ZERO replies from my posting in that forum. Sheesh!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:35 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Update: Getting rid of the Porsche OEM deck.

Having a Pioneer AVIC-X850BT system installed. It's in the shop now. Should be done by tomorrow afternoon.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...on/AVIC-X850BT
Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,814 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Another possibility...

996's have an antenna amplifier for the windshield antenna. If it isn't being fed power or has failed, you will get terrible reception.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:00 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Thanks, PFBZ. I guess it's all a moot point now, since everything is being replaced. I'll post here after I pick up the car tomorrow and see how the reception is. Also, the new system will let me play internet streaming radio by plugging in my smartphone, and also added a satellite radio tuner..

Quick Reply: Radio reception reeks. Any suggestons?