Sponsored by:

Restarting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Restarting Issue

I have an intermittently occurring issue with restarting. I posted in another thread and am starting a new thread on advice of a post in that thread:

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Not sure if this is worthy of its own thread -- I am having the opposite trouble. I will park to run into a store for a minute or two and when I come out she won't start; dash lights come on and it does a half-hearted attempt at cranking but then nothing. Pull the key out and wait a few seconds and then it sometimes starts sometimes doesn't.
Originally Posted by Ahsai
Best is to start your own thread to get ppl focused.

Please tell us if it also happens when the engine is cold. If it feels like the starter is struggling (i.e., spinning slower than usual), then it could be the battery or the starter. If you mean it cranks at normal speed but just will not fire up, that's something else.
When the engine is cold I have a little chain rattle but it starts right away first attempt.

When I drive it for a little while and then stop or a couple minutes I then have some trouble. Some of the time I will go to start the car (clutch fully depressed) and the dash lights will all fire up and either it kinda cranks and doesn't turn over or nothing other than the lights coming on happens.

I will then remove the key and wait a few seconds and try again. Most of the time it will fire right up. Some times it will take 3-4 times of cycling through this process to get it to fire up.

Thoughts?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I have an intermittently occurring issue with restarting. I posted in another thread and am starting a new thread on advice of a post in that thread:

When the engine is cold I have a little chain rattle but it starts right away first attempt.

When I drive it for a little while and then stop or a couple minutes I then have some trouble. Some of the time I will go to start the car (clutch fully depressed) and the dash lights will all fire up and either it kinda cranks and doesn't turn over or nothing other than the lights coming on happens.

I will then remove the key and wait a few seconds and try again. Most of the time it will fire right up. Some times it will take 3-4 times of cycling through this process to get it to fire up.

Thoughts?
Does sound like a heat soaked starter since if it was the ignition switch/clutch switch, you should experience the same even when the engine is cold. How old is the battery?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Same problem about 2 years ago....bad starter. Replaced starter and all is well. Got a Bosch starter from Auto Atlanta (Porsche parts) for about $300. Put it in myself and no more problems. I made absolutely sure all connections were clean from the battery back to the starter and the engine ground was good.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:49 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Does sound like a heat soaked starter since if it was the ignition switch/clutch switch, you should experience the same even when the engine is cold. How old is the battery?
Brand new battery.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:54 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Same problem about 2 years ago....bad starter. Replaced starter and all is well. Got a Bosch starter from Auto Atlanta (Porsche parts) for about $300. Put it in myself and no more problems. I made absolutely sure all connections were clean from the battery back to the starter and the engine ground was good.
Is this the right part: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...l/starter.html

Any DIY step by step guides you can point to?

Edit to add: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...EC-Starter.htm
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Known bad crimp on one of the starter wires. Common issue
Old 06-19-2013, 09:49 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Seems like the right part, but with that cost of $188...that just leaves me wondering. Here is the Auto Atlanta parts list http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-05/902-05.php
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Others have discovered a damaged lead between the starter and alternator. If it's damaged, that alone may resolve the problem...but I'd probably replace the starter while I was in there.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Good point on the starter cable. You could remove the starter to bench test it and check the cable at the same time. May want to use a heat gun or something to heat it up to about 200F to simulate the hot start condition.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine acted that way. It was the starter.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Just got it back from the shop. They ran some tests and they concluded the starter was fine but the wiring harness was bad. Haven't had a reoccurrence yet but I also haven't driven it much.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:55 AM
drf24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, definitely sounds like the starter.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:40 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Honestly, it's easier to remove the starter/alternator cable than the stater. Search my user name and you'll find a new way to remove that cable without having to mess with the intake plenum, power steering or AC compressor. If the cable looks ok, then remove the starter while your in there. Even is the cable looks ok, go ahead and replace it. It's not that expensive and WILL fail eventually.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:13 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Warning: If you drop a few hundred dollars resolving this issue, your hood crest might become your avatar.

Quick Reply: Restarting Issue