Sponsored by:

new 996

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013 | 05:20 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Great wife! Nice 996! Now the fun starts!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-07-2013 | 12:42 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Time for the almost 1 month update. 1000 miles on car, oil still clear, and non burned. Did have a few interesting things happen. First, while cleaning the car opened the hood and trunk with the soft top half open. Cleaned the seals in the hood and the rest of the car. Tried to put the roof down and would not go. So for I opened and closed in manually. Then found out the trunk was open. By the time I figured this out it was out of sync. Went to Porsche of North Olmsted and they fixed it for $250. Plus they inspected the car. Found a loos break line and dirty air filter. Said mechanically the car was perfect otherwise.

Had a 2 week vacation and spent the entire time in the garage with the car. I replaced seals and cleaned drains. Changed break fluid (found some air) and the car stops great.

Then changed the air filter. The car was running good prior to this but I was only getting about 15 mpg. Figured this was because it was all local stuff, no highway driving. Car also idled a little funny. Was told it was just adjusting the air fuel mixture. This is what I found under the air filter.

Now the car idles perfectly and runs even better and the fuel mileage has improved.

Other stories. Took off tires for the brake fluid flush and tire fell forward and scratched the tire. I learned how to refinish wheels and can make them look stock with spray cans. However color is a little off. I used the 1Z spray cause it was cheaper than the Wurth.

When I was doing the rims I noticed a cut in the sidewall. Tire place said no structural damage, just the skin, but they can't guarantee it. Left it up to me to replace. Guess I am getting new rear tires.

Oh, and figured out what this is:

I think it cuts the antenna. I get no radio reception, but then the ipod plays clearly through the radio.

And this:

It is to hold the manual.

And I fixed the roll bar cover with epoxy and good to go.

So to sum up:

Love the wife

Love the car

3 mistakes so far only costing me $300

Another $500 in misc expenses trying to get manuals, tools, jacks, seals, etc.
Old 07-07-2013 | 04:16 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Thanks for the update. So many threads die out unresolved. Glad to see it seems to be working out well for you!
Old 07-07-2013 | 02:51 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgjks6
...while cleaning the car opened the hood and trunk with the soft top half open....Tried to put the roof down and would not go.

Went to Porsche of North Olmsted and they fixed it for $250. Plus they inspected the car. Found a loos break line and dirty air filter.

This is what I found under the air filter.

If I'm understanding this correctly, he dealer billed you $250 to:
  • Connect a PST2 to your car and set the cabrio top calibration (5 minutes tops).
  • Do an 'inspection'.
But the inspection wasn't thorough enough to spot a bag of tobacco left under the air filter?

Wow....

I'm glad you are enjoying your car though, and starting to work on it yourself. With dealers like that, best to make friends with the Porsche service manual.

Quick Reply: new 996