barlowdo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give your wife a big kiss, I am sure she was stressing the purchase
Old 06-15-2013, 02:16 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

Sounds like you over-paid a bit. But, that being said... welcome to Porsche ownership! It's not like owning a Prius or Ford Focus... every decision isn't necessarily based on whether it makes the most financial sense.

Feel grateful that you have a cool wife that bought you a Porsche. It was not a "huge mistake". Just a bit misguided to buy it without more research. Find a good local shop that specializes in Porsches. Throw some more cash at it to fix the various problems. Then, enjoy the dream that you said you had about owning a Porsche. It will bring you immense pleasure.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

Edit: And, regarding your comment that Edmunds or whatever source saying it is a $14,000 car... ridiculous. Welcome to the real world. For $14,000 you can maybe find one that's been in a wreck and needs the entire front or rear quarter rebuilt.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:15 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Thanks for the replies. Does the AOS burn through oil quickly?

I usually try things myself first. The IMS seemed above my head though. I can't imagine bad rings at 36K. It was 2 quarts low. And the oil was brown and not black when I checked it. I assume this means the oil is new.

I got my fingers crossed it is just low from lack of adding oil. I had to work all night last night and until 5pm today so the only time I have seen the car is when my wife drove it to my work yesterday. I hope that no damage was done driving with low oil for 14 miles. The oil pressure was good but I know that does not mean much. It is killing me to get home and actually see if there is a leak.
The car can probably run around town on 5 litres of oil when they need nine. as long as oil pressure is good and you are not driving like you stole it. It very much sounds like the dealer said fvck it I'm not putting any more oil in there.

If the oil was clear and brown , yes, would be new oil.

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Edit: And, regarding your comment that Edmunds or whatever source saying it is a $14,000 car... ridiculous. Welcome to the real world. For $14,000 you can maybe find one that's been in a wreck and needs the entire front or rear quarter rebuilt.
These values are what has been going through the dealer auctions at the time it was published. So they don't reflect retail values.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:26 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

The short distance for the remote unlock is normal. There is a TSB on Renntech.org that explains how to increase the distance.
The "trunk" light that you're seeing is probably the spoiler light, which is normal.
If you feel more comfortable with 5w 40 synthetic oil, then use that - many 996 owners do.
You have a great wife.
You have a great car.
Life is good.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

The oil pressure goes up with revs, normal.

As for the clutch, maybe you are missing your clutch pedal helper spring? Search for the thread "dramatically improved my clutch..." to get more spring info.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Long read much info
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...matically.html

Clutch assist spring #9 in pic. It is shown with a pin in the rod. That is only for install/remove no pin for operation.
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2013, 12:32 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Appreciate the clutch info. You guys are great. Now time for the fun. Now, lets start with I try to DIY anything I can, end up ruining it, and then have to pay a lot to fix it. But first a pic of the car when my wife gave it to me.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:49 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Ok. Now I got the picture thing down. Take picture with phone, email to myself, go to my computer and download, then go to photobucket and upload, the go here and post. Man is that a lot of steps.

So first repair when I got home was to pain the license plate bracket and get rid of the rust. I contracted the work out for a ride in the Porsche. The painter wanted to ride in the front instead of the back.

Then I unloaded the hood. Have pieces from the tool kit, a spare tire, no inflator, and some pieces I am not sure what to do with. Where is the jack?
Anyone know what these are?

Now the fun part. One corner of the cover with the roll bar covers was loose.

So I tried to pry it up. Broke the other front bolt and part of the backside and it looked worse than before. The I took the seats and the back carpet out. Saw where it was broken and rigged it with a washer and screw. Now it is barely bolted on and I need a new one. Looked up prices and they ate $450 shipped to my house. The worst part is that if I would have taken the seats out and the carpet out before using the force method I could have fixed it easily. Oh, well. Sick to my stomach, but live and learn.

This post it getting long and I got a lot more questions, so I will keep posting. Sorry.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:05 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

So I did not get a manual with the car so I am flying blind. I was cleaning the car and saw this:

What is it?

Oh, and the car same with this, it says iSimple

If I plug phone into it then it charges my phone, but no music plays. I figured out how to turn on the Aux and still no luck.

I did get the radio code. Shout out to Loren and Renntech.

OK last game. It is called what options does that car have. I can look at any year BMW e60 and tell you what year and options is has, so I figure there are some guys like that here. Here are some pics. If you need pics of anything else let me know. Can you guys list the options for me?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice looking cab with hard top!

As for options, look in the fronk and there should be a sticker with all the option codes.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

The first black plastic piece in your photos is the cover for the hardtop latching mechanism, where it attaches to the the windshield frame. You only use it when the hardtop is on. Put it in your "frunk" for the summer.

The jack should be behind your spare tire. If you have wheel locks, the key should be stuck into a hole in the Styrofoam behind the tire.

That little round switch looks like an aftermarket add-on of some sort. You'll have to figure that one out for yourself.
Try Suncoast Porsche or Ebay for an owner's manual.

Btw - You may want to stop "modifying" stuff until you get a better handle on how these cars work.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:09 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Originally Posted by wyovino
Btw - You may want to stop "modifying" stuff until you get a better handle on how these cars work.
Would you be surprised if I have heard that before
Old 07-04-2013, 04:05 AM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and welcome to 911 ownership! I understand the "not as fabulous as the sales jackwad said it was" feeling. I think all of us who've bought cars via the internet (including me) have had that happen at one time or another. Sounds like you'll be able to shrug it off, put a few bucks into the cosmetics, and a year from now you won't remember any of it! I'd flush the brake fluid. I'll bet if it's ever been done, it's been a while. It should be done every two years regardless of miles for street-driven cars. Get a look at your brake pads and rotors while you're in there flushing fluid. Get your wheel alignment checked -- if it's off, it can eat your relatively expensive tires. (It's not just a matter of how the car tracks; excess camber or toe-in can eat tires even if the car tracks perfectly straight.) If you didn't already, you might pull a Carfax on it just so you have a history of the car's ownership, any reported accidents, etc.

Cheers, man! Better to have a 911 that needs a little TLC to come up to snuff than no 911 at all!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:35 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought mine from International Auto sports in NJ. I had a PPI on and all checked out. Then I get car and find the IMS was not replaced as told. 2500 dollars later I have the RMS and IMS LN Engineering done. The dealer was not truthful, yet I love my car. Still 500 dollars less so far than the 3k per year maintenance I figured to own.

Quick Reply: new 996