Sponsored by:

IMS Solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:25 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I cant believe some of the long time members are going to pile on. Are you guys really forgetting how the answer(s) to the IMSB came about. Makes for some great reading. Looks like some need to re-read the story.

Even if the "solution" does or does not add .5 HP or some imagined smoothness, isnt the engine less likely to have an IMSB failure? Hasnt the issue been addressed by the owner?

JR knows he can not make any false claims about his products or he would quickly be out of business. Im sure there was more testing on the M96 than we can imagine.
Wow. You need a lesson in marketing.

Caveat Emptor....
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I cant believe some of the long time members are going to pile on. Are you guys really forgetting how the answer(s) to the IMSB came about. Makes for some great reading. Looks like some need to re-read the story.

Even if the "solution" does or does not add .5 HP or some imagined smoothness, isnt the engine less likely to have an IMSB failure? Hasnt the issue been addressed by the owner?

JR knows he can not make any false claims about his products or he would quickly be out of business. Im sure there was more testing on the M96 than we can imagine.
Not totally sure what your point is?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:30 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Cmon guys, give JR a break. I cant prove my new CH bearing and JG DT40 make my car run smoother but it sure seems like it. I KNOW I feel better having done it.

While I personally believe the "solution" is overkill to not such a complex problem, I will be happy just treating my new bearing as a maintenance item to be checked/replaced each time with clutch.

As usual, thanks JR for all you do for the 996 community and chumps like me who were actually dumb enough to believe in and buy one. We are lucky to have any support at all for the platform so, DONT COMPLAIN ABOUT JR.

I am happy with my $100 "temporary" solution vs. the $3500 "solution". Which really means that "your IMSB will not explode but your cylinders may D-chunk, cams may break in half, blah, blah, etc.

Krazy, by chance, did you and Jake meet on eHarmony???
Old 06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I know for a fact...absolute FACT...that my car runs infinitely better after a car wash.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I personally can't believe that the haters haven't insinuated that the OP is even a real person or is a "plant" yet. You guys are kind of disappointing me now. Especially with such a low post count.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Teddy Roosevelt

As my Dad always said, if you are not pissing them off, you aren't accomplishing anything.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

That's not what the OP wrote.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

So, knower of all things, how do you perceive what he stated?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Holy #$% Imre, you as well as me and everyone else here owes JR a ton of respect. Im sure you based your choice of IMSB replacement on his research as did I. Granted it took some digging but there is no way we could have done this without using what he knows.

Why are you giving him such a hard time? I expect it from some of the wanna-be wrench crowd but not you. I admit using others FREE knowledge for my repairs. I choose to do them myself as you do. I knew absolutely zero about the M96 engine before this forum and JR's info. I now feel comfortable pulling and rebuilding the engine as do you. Give the guy some credit.

Im sure there is a way to measure some small HP increase and smoothness but it seems silly at this point.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

JR has done alot of investment / research and in the process of 'Marketing' this I presume he has made alot of money.

On the positive side it has saved a few cars (i think less then people think), but arguably has also devalued the 996 with the surrounding IMS hysteria.

Each to their own opinion
Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I personally can't believe that the haters haven't insinuated that the OP is even a real person or is a "plant" yet. You guys are kind of disappointing me now. Especially with such a low post count.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Teddy Roosevelt

As my Dad always said, if you are not pissing them off, you aren't accomplishing anything.

Dude, you take yourself way too seriously…but I guess it’s better than your usual scare the sh*t out of ‘em posts which typically go something like:

“Got 78 calls today from owners whose cars blew up on them nearly killing 247 innocent bystanders…I currently have blown cars here at my shop from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and several countries in Europe…In fact, the line of wrecked cars stretches as far as the eye can see…it can be seen from outer space with the naked eye. But have no fear my two employees and I will have all of these cars, all 3,042 of them, repaired before the delivery trucks arrive bringing in a new load of 2,886 blown M96/97 engine cars…You P owners out there really have no idea of the worthless, self-destructing, piles of sh*t you bought, but I do. I do all of these repairs in between the 18 hours a day I spend in the lab…did I mention the fact that I work harder than anyone else in this U.S. of A…Did I mention these engines can experience up to 4,660 modes of failure...Oh yeah, one of them is going to get your a$$.. Please view the attached, and completely unnecessary pics of engine carnage…don’t forget to click on my Facebook page to see my translation of the Holy Grail(I can’t tell you this info here, so don’t ask)oh and don’t forget to BE AFRAID…BE VERY AFRAID…”
Old 06-06-2013, 07:36 PM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

speaking on behalf of the haters ... of course, that was our first assumption. But then we realized Jake wouldn't spring for membership on a throwaway account.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM
awksedgreep
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9 is right next to 0 on my keyboard, fat fingered that one. 2002 996 . . . . also, why all the hate. I'm just happy to have my IMS replaced so I can drive my nearly new 996 as long as I want.

My RMS was shot when Flat6 got the car and it was leaking badly. I'm very happy with the service I've received. They even did a dyno run after the car was put back together.

Here are the pictures if anyone's interested.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4914693&type=1

'njoy,
awk
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 85 Posts

All you have to say Jake is replacing one good bearing with another good bearing won't make the engine run smoother. It will make it all go away!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

So, knower of all things, how do you perceive what he stated?
English is not my first language so maybe I missed something but I don't think I have. " I talked to Jake and he said that they have noticed cars running more smoothly after the install and have gotten the same feedback."
Old 06-06-2013, 08:21 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

DreamCarerra, tell us how you really feel? :lol:

I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that you left out the mention of his book.

To me, there are two things being discussed and leave it up to KK to stir the pot.

I haven't agreed with Jake on everything in the past but I don't think anyone discredits or think that he's not a valuable asset to this community in terms of his Porsche knowledge. Not everyone might be appreciative on the info he offers not might they agree with his marketing tactics.

This originally started out with debating whether the op could actually notice anything. Don't know how it got off on this tangent...

Quick Reply: IMS Solution