996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rotors and brake pads DIY - complete & easy

Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rotors and brake pads DIY - complete & easy

Thanks to the excellent instructional video by Van and the constant encouragement to do it yourself by KrazyK (and an outrageous quote by my local dealer) I decided to take the plunge. Happy to report that it was an extremely easy task with just a floor jack and jack stands.

First thing that I did was accumulate all of the new parts I thought I needed.
Then watched Van's video to consider tools and any parts I might have missed.

Learned a long time ago that any kind of job is a lot easier if you take the time to prep, making sure all materials, supplies, and tools are on hand. I was missing new caliper bolts, learned that they aren't included in the brake hardware kit after I received the kit.

Another lesson learned long ago, never assume that everything you expect to be in any box is actually in the box, open everything up and check it before you start. Also was missing a couple of tools, but a quick and extremely inexpensive trip to my local Harbor Freight had that solved.

Then I watched Van's video again and made a couple of mental notes like torque specs and the use of anti sieze.

So I figured today was the day to DIY brakes on the C2. All went well, no head banging or forhead slapping.

I took my time, as Krazy constantly suggests, especially in figuring out the wear indicator replacement as that is not in Van's video, pretty much a no brainer, just simple logic.

I probably spent about an hour all in on the 1st side and maybe 20 minutes on the next side.

I did replace everything with new parts, including the pad dampers. I had OEM pads and wear sensors in stock that I purchased from Sunset Porsche quite some time ago, and recently purchased Zimmerman rotors and the hardware from Pelican.

Next up - "Motor Mounts" that I also purchased from Pelican when I ordered the brake parts. The only business I gave my dealer on this one was purchasing 4 caliper bolts for a total of $19.00.

Even after a nice long but easy drive to bed in the pads, (I always look for a justification to drive these cars as often and as far as I can) I had ample time left over to put a gleaming shine on the C4S. And, I have more confidence in the work I did than if the dealer had done it, I didn't have to hassle with transportation to drop off the car and pick it up, and with my dealer I also avoided the predictable "oops, just bring it back and we'll fix what we did wrong" crap.

All in all, a great Porsche day!

Thanks again Van and KrazyK!!
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 AM
thstone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job! Motor mount replacement is 10x easier than the brakes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ne-mounts.html

DIY instructions: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Good job! Nice and shiny too.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice to hear another member saving $ by doing the brake job with the help of a video and related posts. It really isn't hard to do some work on these Porsches even if you don't have every tool available. Also a great feeling of satisfaction when the job is done. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a link to Van's video? I'm changing my pads this Saturday....
Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks great, I did mine last year. the Youtube video was a big help. I had alot of corrosions, and the dampers were falling apart in my hands, so getting the metal part out of the caliper was a PITA.

I did my mounts this past weekend, definitely 10x easier to do.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
Do you have a link to Van's video? I'm changing my pads this Saturday....
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-tutorial.html

this should get you there.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM
mak24seven
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I will be doing mine on Saturday weather permitting

Through the help of this forum I replaced my water pump last weekend and although not a pleasant job it is quite easy with the right tools, I happen to have a pit in my garage which is a fantastic aid for certain jobs although I generally have to sike myself up to climb in it and keep the spiders company .
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

DIY projects are very rewarding plus you get to know the technical workings of your Porsche pretty fast!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotors and brake pads DIY - complete & easy