Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan on engine lid question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013 | 05:19 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

I guess that Trendy996 knows more about the design of the Porsche cooling systems than the Porsche Designers back there in Stuttgart for him to remove the fan from the engine compartment. I wonder was that move another of the so called mods that some Porsche owners like to do because it is a TRENDY thing to do ( excuse the pun)? I think it is time to smash my head against the wall again.
Old 06-26-2013 | 08:54 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

It really sounds like some here (Cuda911?) are mixing up the sounds of the engine compartment cooling fan and the air injection (fan) pump, which, from the drivers seat can sound similar. For years I thought it was my compartment fan coming on that I would hear at stop lights or coming off the interstate (it's not like you're going to jump out of your car and check!) and wondered why the heck the engine compartment was getting so hot, only to finally discover it was just the injection pump. My compartment fan comes on very rarely, in fact only once that I know of for sure. I wondered if it even worked, but I was able to switch it on to check it.
Old 06-26-2013 | 10:10 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Interesting! I don't know that one could ever confuse the whine of the SAI pump with the engine compartment fan. For that matter, the SAI pump runs at first start in the morning but I have never ever heard it run after the car is warmed up, even after multiple stops during the day. However, we have had a span of really hot days here in Florida, some close to 100. Coolant temp at a little bit north of 180 and I hear the engine compartment fan running as well as the rad fans stepping up from low to high. Of course, AC blasting on maximum, sitting in traffic, engine on high idle because of the AC and so on. I am very reassured when the engine compartment fan runs at it's pleasure whenever the car decides it is needed. As a daily driver, when I get home and park in the garage, I leave the garage door open and have even gone as far as opening the engine lid to release the heat. I picked up that trick at the track and watching the Porsche's go to the garage after hot laps. One of the first things they do is park and open that engine lid. Have a great day!
Old 06-26-2013 | 02:47 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

It really sounds like some here (Cuda911?) are mixing up the sounds of the engine compartment cooling fan and the air injection (fan) pump,
To follow up... no, the fan I am hearing is definitely the engine compartment fan. In all cases that I hear the fan, it has kicked on after the car has been shut off and key removed.
Old 06-26-2013 | 03:46 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

When its really hot outside I have heard my engine cover fan come on many times. I will double check the temp sensor as well. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-27-2013 | 09:25 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

OK, just saying, in case anyone made the same mistakes as me. Mine has never come on after parked, as far as I know, certainly never in my garage, or after I get to work, as I always check the car out afterwards. But heck, now you have me wondering again, if after my spirited drives, what I hear is the compartment fan or the SAI pump!? Time to fire up the Autoenginuity software again.
Old 06-27-2013 | 09:54 AM
leejo
Burning Brakes

I've only had mine a few weeks, but the engine cooling fan (I assume) often comes on after the car is parked and the key is removed. I live in Houston, TX, so maybe what is unusual for some is typical for others? Or should I check the temp sensor?

Quick Reply: Cooling fan on engine lid question