Sponsored by:

Blackstone Oil Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 03:36 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Not Blackstone, but here are my two reports:

In between these two reports I had an IMS solution installed.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:21 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Old 11-22-2018, 05:35 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Forgot to cross-post here from my other thread. Not sure why my silicone is on the higher side. It was an 8 at the last oil change in August and I promptly changed the air filter in response to it. ALS claims this is within spec, though.

Latest update with 83,454 miles on her. 3894 miles and 7 months on the oil.

"All wear rates normal. Abrasive and other contaminant
levels are acceptable. Viscosity within specified
operating range."

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 4
Chromium (Cr) <1
Lead (Pb) <1
Copper (Cu) 3
Tin (Sn) <1
Aluminium (Al) 3
Nickel (Ni) <1
Silver (Ag) <1
Titanium (Ti) <1
Vanadium (V) <1

Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 10
Sodium (Na) 6
Potassium (K) <1

Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 11
Calcium (Ca) 2585
Barium (Ba) <1
Phosphorus (P) 1058
Zinc (Zn) 1248
Molybdenum (Mo) 109
Boron (B) 22

Contaminants
Water (%) <0.05
Coolant No

Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 12.6

Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 6.5
In light of the thread bump, I figured I'd follow up on a prior post of mine. I did another analysis last month and the silicon was again around 10 or so. I then spoke with the person who ran the analysis at ALS Tribology and he stated that a warning sign for silicon would be of a value in the triple digits, or a large jump in value (i.e. from 10 to 60). He stated that my silicon levels were very low in his opinion and the trend of their reports on my engine show that the engine is "incredibly healthy" if I'm correctly remembering his statement.

I know this is a Blackstone thread, but I've been very happy with ALS. I get their test kit at O'Reilly's for about $20. It is actually labeled as a Wix kit, but the paperwork inside contains the address and info for ALS. They also provide TBN results at no additional charge. TIFWIW.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:22 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this thread was brought back to life, thought I would share my reports. I am always curious on how others stack up so figured others were also. Note the following:

1st sample on 9/13/17 is when I switched from Mobil 1 to DT40 (no, I did not due a complete flush)
2nd sample on 11/11/17 at only 500 miles was pulled through dipstick (I wanted more of a control sample of the DT40)
3rd and 4th samples were normal oil changes (still DT40), I drove 3500 miles on 4th sample to be more in line with the universal averages. I typically change at 3000 miles.

I always make a day of changing my oil checking other fluids, crankcase pressure check (for AOS, typ 4.5 - 4.9 in WC), tires, brakes, ect.. I dropped the sump pan during the 1st 9/13/17 (just to inspect) and installed a magnetic plug at that time. Still have OEM filter, find it easier to cut open and check filter. I also empty the oil filter into a clear glass jar to inspect oil within filter and use an endoscope through drain plug hole to check inside of sump. (guess I'm a bit ****)

Old 12-08-2018, 02:52 PM
todcp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is mine....
Interesting on the concern for an air filtration leak. I am using a BMC filter with the old style Fabspeed exhaust and intake (with the stock filter box).
Installed LN filter conversion using NAPA filter at the previous oil change. Cut open filter and could not find any junk.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:36 PM
zenocchio
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is my report, iron, copper and aluminum seems high.
what is the general consensus about this values?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

You have to remember the mileage that you put on the oil. The particle count is going to be proportional to it, the longer the oil is in service, the higher the particle count.

My copper always seems to be a little bit higher than others, it's closer to 7 or 8 PPM. Others are closer to 3 o 4....but once again, you have to take into account the miles on the oil.

With your mileage I personally wouldn't worry about a thing....nothing seems to jump out at me....I'm no expert, but I do look at copper a lot.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:32 AM
zenocchio
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
You have to remember the mileage that you put on the oil. The particle count is going to be proportional to it, the longer the oil is in service, the higher the particle count.

My copper always seems to be a little bit higher than others, it's closer to 7 or 8 PPM. Others are closer to 3 o 4....but once again, you have to take into account the miles on the oil.

With your mileage I personally wouldn't worry about a thing....nothing seems to jump out at me....I'm no expert, but I do look at copper a lot.
the mileage shown is actually KM. 155k km is about 90k miles. oil intervals are less than 5k miles.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:44 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by zenocchio
the mileage shown is actually KM. 155k km is about 90k miles. oil intervals are less than 5k miles.
Did Blackstone provide a descriptive analysis? If not, you should reach out to them to get their opinion.

In my humble (and very non-scientific) opinion, it appears that you’re trending in the wrong direction. But it’s also really hard to capture what “normal” is for your engine with only two analyses. You may find out that theses values plateau and remain approximately the same for every subsequent analysis.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:52 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by todcp
Here is mine....
Interesting on the concern for an air filtration leak. I am using a BMC filter with the old style Fabspeed exhaust and intake (with the stock filter box).
Installed LN filter conversion using NAPA filter at the previous oil change. Cut open filter and could not find any junk.

Are you running Driven DT-40? I’ve read that some modern oils shed silicon as part of the anti-foaming properties of the oil. It could also be from excess sealant that has somehow circulated through the engine. Change back to the stock filter and see what your next report shows.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:16 PM
zenocchio
Intermediate

Originally Posted by islaTurbine

Did Blackstone provide a descriptive analysis? If not, you should reach out to them to get their opinion.

In my humble (and very non-scientific) opinion, it appears that you’re trending in the wrong direction. But it’s also really hard to capture what “normal” is for your engine with only two analyses. You may find out that theses values plateau and remain approximately the same for every subsequent analysis.
the report was good:

" The metals are low and look great compared to universal averages and the previous report. You didn't see any visible metal in the filter and that's another good sign that all is well mechanically. There's no fuel or moisture present and the air and oil filters kept silicon and insolubles low. Excellent report."

Old 12-22-2018, 02:10 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by zenocchio
the report was good:

" The metals are low and look great compared to universal averages and the previous report. You didn't see any visible metal in the filter and that's another good sign that all is well mechanically. There's no fuel or moisture present and the air and oil filters kept silicon and insolubles low. Excellent report."
I’d say you shouldn’t worry too much and just continue to change the oil and do analyses every 6 months/5000 miles, whichever is sooner. That’s what I’d do.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:48 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,128 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Worn valve guides in these engines show up in our UOA as manganese. The only deviation to this is the 1997 Boxster engines that used a higher silicon/ bronze level in their composition over manganese than all other M96 engines we have noted to date.
When you see elevated manganese due to valve guide wear, approximately what PPM of material are we talking? 10/100/1000? Asking for a friend... 9A1 3.8 991 C2S. No octane boosters used. All other wear metals look good, 1.5% fuel dilution

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 03-10-2023 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Blackstone Oil Analysis