996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMSB +1 for PCNA

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013 | 01:46 PM
silotwo
Banned

Default IMSB +1 for PCNA

My 2004 C4S has an IMSB failure at 37k miles. I bought it private party in Oct 2011 with 23k miles on the clock.

I did catch it before there was a catastrophic failure, it still starts and runs seemingly fine, but a seat of the pants had me feeling that something was wrong, and a quick listen with the engine deck lid open reavealed an odd yet inconsistent sound, similar to a pulley failing on an accessory. So I parked it and had it flat bedded to the dealer. At first the tech said it couldn't be the IMSB because the engine was dry, running, and we weren't standing in a lake of oil. He was convinced that a failed IMSB doesn't provide enough of a warning to prevent a total failure. A quick drop of the oil filter housing revealed a substantial amount of metal particles, add the magnet test and the tech was convinced enough to tell everyone to NEVER start the car again.

There is a bit to the story, including my attempt to continue the 3rd party warranty, even left a check for $4,600 and change with the dealers finance department in January - but things didn't work out with the warranty company and the warranty was never issued. Loss of my substantially paying job shortly thereafter had me not thinking about cars or warranties.

Bottom line, I learned yesterday that Porsche agreed to good will a complete engine and the dealer estimates my out of pocket for labor and fluids will be around $2k. Fine with me as I was praying that we could save the engine with the LNE retrofit and expected to pay around $2k for that anyway. I was very concerned though about the metal that definitely would be circulating through the oiling system, and not being a guy that could have the LNE installed and then pass the car off without full disclosure, I was trying to accept that even if we caught it in time, I'd always be nagged by the "what if" or would need to sell the car at a significant discount.

My perspective is now forever changed, I fought off the fear of the IMSB on my 04 C2 for five years and reluctantly replaced it last fall with 75K miles on the clock while the clutch was being replaced. That bearing appeared to be perfect.

Yet here I am with a perfectly maintained car with 37K miles on the clock with an IMSB failure. No rhyme or reason to this issue.

I am grateful to the dealer, when I requested that they attempt to get Porsche to good will some dollars, any dollars at all, they told me that they highly doubted that Porsche would agree to anything. 9 year old car, purchased private party - no real obligation on their part.

It wasn't a slam dunk, Porsche asked about my length of Porsche ownership, my loyalty to dealership service, wanted service records and even required a current car fax.

As many have said here, you can play the statistics game all you want, until it happens to you. I feel soooooooooo humbled at the moment.

But I am also extremely grateful and feel lucky enough to maybe buy a couple of lottery tickets.
Old 04-16-2013 | 02:09 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

All's well that ends well, sorta. Glad you caught it in time!
Old 04-16-2013 | 02:41 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

congrats on a positive outcome.
however did I just read that " reluctantly replaced it last fall with 75K miles on the clock while the clutch was being replaced. That bearing appeared to be perfect." - are you saying the replacement bearing failed? What bearing was it?
Old 04-16-2013 | 02:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

That's qutie a story and thanks for sharing. Glad to hear the great outcome.
Could you describe the noise you heard more? Also, do you think the metal shavings would have triggered the IMS guardian if it was there?
Old 04-16-2013 | 02:48 PM
silotwo
Banned

Originally Posted by roadsession
congrats on a positive outcome.
however did I just read that " reluctantly replaced it last fall with 75K miles on the clock while the clutch was being replaced. That bearing appeared to be perfect." - are you saying the replacement bearing failed? What bearing was it?
Sorry for the confusion - two different cars - I replaced the IMSB in the C2 at 75k miles. That car is touching 80K miles now and still runs fantastic - always was a strong running car.

It's the lower mileage C4S that just had the original IMSB fail. Of course, the best scenario would be to not have this issue at all. But I was fully aware of the risk when I purchased the C4S.

The dealer did say that owning two Porsches might have helped him sway PCNA, they told me that originally the good will claim was denied but they followed some appeal process or something. Either way, I am fine with the outcome.
Old 04-16-2013 | 03:37 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Your car has to be included in the most recent "class action event" that Porsche decided to address? Your C4S is definately single row, hasn't been in service for 10 years and by all accounts should have a vin that is listed on the impacted cars list (can't see why it wouldn't be listed). My point being, that is probably why Porsche decided to good wiill the engine.

I realize that since you are not the original owner and you bought it from a private party so you are only eligible for 25% reimburement (if memory serves). Porsche is probably getting some heat from this class action event so the goodwill may be "goodwill" they are hoping is directed at them.
Old 04-16-2013 | 04:25 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Very interesting story and glad you shared!
This engine caught prior to failure, represents an excellent analysis test bed for Porsche. They can analyze multitude of conditions of your engine, as is and add to their IMSB lessons learned.
It would be interesting to know who made the IMSB in your C2 (long-lasting) and the one in your C4S (much shorter lifetime for whatever reasons). Just curious what this would reveal.
Old 04-16-2013 | 04:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

John, good for you. Congrats. What engine did they use for the replacement in your 2004 C4S? What's to keep that one from going "boom"??
Old 04-16-2013 | 04:42 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

One theory is lack of use. C2 ~10k yr, C4 ~ 4 k
Old 04-16-2013 | 04:46 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Did you add it to the poll at the top of the forum?
Old 04-16-2013 | 05:19 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silotwo
My 2004 C4S has an IMSB failure at 37k miles. I bought it private party in Oct 2011 with 23k miles on the clock.

As many have said here, you can play the statistics game all you want, until it happens to you. I feel soooooooooo humbled at the moment.

But I am also extremely grateful and feel lucky enough to maybe buy a couple of lottery tickets.
I remember reading about your problem when you first posted, so glad Porsche has relented to do the right thing. I am sure the lawsuit helped Porsche decide.

Interesting you mention the lottery correlation. As low as the chance of IMSB failure is, I am sure it is much higher than the chances of winning the lottery.
Maybe someone will start a poll to see how many have a oem IMSB & buy lottery tickets regularly.

Glad you ended up winning this time!
Old 04-16-2013 | 05:52 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Wow!!! Way to go for your Dealer to Stand Up!!! I have heard of other Dealers doing the same "Good Will" replacement. Congrats on the new Engine
Old 04-16-2013 | 08:27 PM
street rod
Drifting

Amazing story and even better ending. John I am very happy for you and its good to see PCNA standing up and doing the right thing.
Old 04-16-2013 | 09:18 PM
Zanzibar Red 996
Rennlist Member

Aware the cars tip or
Manual ??
Old 04-16-2013 | 09:20 PM
Zanzibar Red 996
Rennlist Member

Were the cars tip, or manual ?

Quick Reply: IMSB +1 for PCNA