996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMSB +1 for PCNA

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This car had the original IMS bearing, it was the seal that had been replaced.
That seems like a very big mistake but glad you got a new engine. Congrats!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:13 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porrsha
So does your VIN correspond to the list posted in the 996 forum as one of the cars being at risk?
Yes it does. However, according to the dealer PCNA never referenced that in their decision. They wanted to know my history of Porsche ownership, dealer service history backed up with records, and a current car fax. Technically the settlement, if and once accepted, would have entitled me to 25% of the cost. 75% is still a chunk larger than I could handle right now, so again, I am grateful. I could rant about paying labor, especially since I left a check to pay in full for a 3rd party warranty that wasn't processed in a timely enough fashion. But hey, I am actually pretty excited about getting the car back and might even con the wife into agreeing that I take a solo road trip for a week or two now that I have the time (I simply will avoid the topic of road trip expenses while we have no income)

Originally Posted by KrazyK
That seems like a very big mistake but glad you got a new engine. Congrats!
I agree, I did ask the previous owner why he went out of pocket for a new clutch pack when the dealer told him the original was like new yet he didn't do the IMSB at the same time. He told me he wasn't aware that he should and that the mechanic never mentioned it.

I have to give the previous owner his props though, he definitely over maintained the car in all other areas, perhaps not as much as you because I did see a speck or two of dust on the old engine sitting in the shipping rack, but then again that could be from the 14k miles I put on the car in the past year.

He did change the oil 3 times in one year with a total of 1100 miles driven, and he even used Mobil 1. The car had a new interstate battery when he bought it, but he was an OEM believer kind of guy so he replaced it with Porsche spec OEM battery. And proper N spec tires, he went way out of his way to source two new N1 rear tires to match the N1's on the front. He was definitely krazy in my kind of way.

Fingers crossed that this engine gets me some trouble free miles for quite some time. Should have the car back early next week.

Just got back from helping my son close on his first new car, he was so excited and sort of apologetic for being such a PIA through the process. We went out to dinner and it turns out the waitress just got her first new car earlier today from the same dealer. I couldn't help myself, I said " wow, this is great, you both lost your virginity at XX motors". Luckily the waitress had a great sense of humor and, well, my kid knows me ................. he doesn't turn as bright red as he used to when I say dumb stuff.

When we were leaving he just stood in the parking lot staring at his brand new car and I thought he was going to jump up and down in excitement... I hugged him and said, "I know, I know".

Luckily for me he can't drive a manual - otherwise he might learn the truth about cars - "Porsche - there is no substitute".

I had a blast in the C2 on the way down and back today - was so happy to have a back up Porsche, would have been a long and boring ride otherwise.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM
silotwo
Banned

New engine in and car is back on the road. Labor on me came to $2,200 after some negotiation yet still higher than I expected after getting a quote of 16 hours shop time at $105.00 pr hr. I give up totally on the new service writer so I spoke to the dealers service manager. He said the "estimate" was before they realized that the DME wasn't directly compatible with the new engine and it took them about four hours to get the DME to read the oil pressure sending unit, which he stated is in a different location on this "newer design". I'll spare you all the details of what I feel was a senseless and illogical diiscussion. But I will note that I called their attention to the obvious use of my passengers seat as a parts bin.

Although I only drove her about 25 miles so far I must say she does run extremely strong and I don't think my C2 has a leg up on the C4S anymore. I'm heading out in a bit for a longer range cruise. Dealer is not aware of any break in requirements, just drive it for 1,000 miles and bring it back for a visual check for leaks. No paper work other than the receipt and dealer says that's all I need because it is in Porsche's global database because it is considered a warranty repair.

When I force myself to look on the bright side - it could have been much, much worse. Sure I prefer a car with it's original equipment, but when I look at what I would have needed to invest on the preventative items, I am confident I would have spent well beyond what I did on the the labor charges alone for the engine swap. And boy does it look pretty to open the engine bay lid and see everthing so clean and shiny, probably as close to a brand new Porsche as I will ever get.

So, I will maintain my attitude of gratitude on this one.

Thanks all for participating in the discussion.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

John, you got a brand new engine for $2200, thats a win. You now have the perfect car. Enjoy!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:50 AM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear it's all back together and going well! If it matters, I have no qualms about having a new engine in my car relative to the one that it left the factory with, it made the car more attractive to me when I got it rather than less. I was actually quite thrilled to learn that a replacement engine replaces pretty much everything that is attached to it...It's not like they couldn't easily swap the ancillaries while the two engines are sitting side by side in the shop out of the car. Basically you get to start over with much of the maintenance / wear items, which will probably remediate a chunk of that $2200 in labor over the next few years.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 AM
darbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incredible Story

Originally Posted by silotwo
Sorry for the confusion - two different cars - I replaced the IMSB in the C2 at 75k miles. That car is touching 80K miles now and still runs fantastic - always was a strong running car.

It's the lower mileage C4S that just had the original IMSB fail. Of course, the best scenario would be to not have this issue at all. But I was fully aware of the risk when I purchased the C4S.

The dealer did say that owning two Porsches might have helped him sway PCNA, they told me that originally the good will claim was denied but they followed some appeal process or something. Either way, I am fine with the outcome.
That is quite a story. It's a good thing this is not common. I did the IMS upgrade as well and would be bummed if that happened.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 PM
silotwo
Banned

Update - 200 miles on her so far and practicing restraint, I think she really, really wants to run but I'm holding her back to about 4500 rpm for now.

Had a momentary sinking feeling yesterday morning when the idiot light on the temp gauge began flashing but temp gauge read as normal, then a warning message "engine blower fan fail" came on with an audible chime. Never ever saw that one before. Drove it straight to the dealer, fortunately I left my C2 there "just in case". Swapped cars for the day, picked up the C4S last night and took her for an 80 mile drive and so far so good. Dealer said the problem was with a grommet that holds the fan connector which had come loose and they had to wait for the engine to cool down before they could reattach it, thus the reason for keeping the car for the day.

Confident enough at this point that both cars are back home. I am going to take the C4S to an appointment near philly tomorrow - will be sure to pack my AAA card - just in case.

Quick Reply: IMSB +1 for PCNA