Sponsored by:

Different Approach to DIY IMSB Retro / Parts and Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Don996cab
Well I've just read the whole thread! I'm no engineer but this has been both interesting and very informative

Any update?
I'm starting to wonder if this thread was a scam, or the iSB blew up the day after he installed it. So many here have asked for the info, and its not been supplied.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
I'm starting to wonder if this thread was a scam, or the iSB blew up the day after he installed it. So many here have asked for the info, and its not been supplied.
I'm guessing KK has not yet driven the car! He's still busy wiping down the tools with a fresh diaper. :-)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:30 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

BOH

Last edited by KrazyK; 11-28-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:37 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I know, I know. Im sorry but the parts list got absurdly long as I replaced everything. Its coming soon with tool list as well. Cars sounds and runs great. I am confident the IMSB will not explode knowing it is a CH bearing and being well lubed.

But, I will be dropping engine soon for AOS/OVS replacement, and other misc. things.
Sorry for the snarky message...just anxious to see the list, and get weary checking back every day...heh heh
Old 05-30-2013, 04:48 AM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I know, I know. Im sorry but the parts list got absurdly long as I replaced everything. Its coming soon with tool list as well.
Don't mean to hurry you up, but I'm keen to see the list too.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:25 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Tic tic tic
Old 06-15-2013, 01:59 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Will you get a kickback from Pelican if they sell "your" kit?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DK570
500 - thanks for the link http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...sign-idea.html This was an interesting read, I had not seen that thread before. I definitely enjoyed the video of a valvetrain at 14,000 rpm.

There is a lot of speculation in that thread, I believe a lot of it would be addressed in the discovery documents for the lawsuit detailed in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...r-12-a-18.html Has anyone asked for these yet? It needs to be someone with a 2003 or 2004 and less than 130,000 miles.

KK - I agree with you that it is possible to find a quality bearing for less than $600. A fix like yours is something I have contemplated before. With respect to using a seal or not, did you consider using a shielded bearing?
Shielded or unsealed in this environment makes no difference, so unsealed is the best bet.

Originally Posted by alpine003
On the surface, your reasoning is sound but gotta wonder why Porsche engineers didn't have the open design, even in their later models as it really wouldn't have added any additional cost to their bottom line?

But then again, you have the mindset that Porsche has used the wrong oil as well so maybe seeking an answer would be futile at best.

I'm not saying the open bearing is either better or worse but just trying to figure out why Porsche didn't do it with their vast knowledge and engineering resources.
The shaft was designed and built by an outside vendor. They gave the parameters and the vendor did the design. This is VERY common in ALL auto manufacturers. They would not deviate as that would mean they have no recourse in the event of a failure.

Also you can be sure that Porsche tested these engines to destruction and found no appreciable failures (to the point of warranty expiration). This is how it is done. What they may not have done is tested in engines where oil was never changed, wrong oil used, and a million other variables that no one can possibly think of. They then use statistics to determine exposure to risk and move forward with that.

Hmmm, the same experts that said you couldn't change the IMS bearing w/o disassembling the engine? The same experts that used a $12 (probably cheaper back then) sealed bearing to support a critical part of the engine?

Alp, sometimes "experts" miss something and sometimes they just don't care. Kind of like how some NASA employees warned the experts about sealing ring integrity for a at near freezing temperature Challenger space shuttle launch?

I would love to read the internal memos and emails between the Porsche employees concerning the IMS problems.
The 12$ bearing is probably fine for the application from a strict speed/load perspective. There is just another element that is causing this failure. Also the failures appear to be at around 5% which, while high in the auto industry, are not that bad compared to some of the ones out there. (think recalls)

Originally Posted by Skootnasty
This is no longer an option with Dual Mass Flywheels. The rubber member inside the flywheel cannot hold up to resurfacing. Honestly, it is likely worn out by the time your clutch disk is.

Skoot
How do you think the factory finished the flywheel? Magic pixi dust spread on to a thickness not to exceed 23 microns? </sarcasm>

seriously, the only way a dual mass flywheel cannot be resurfaced is if the rubber element has failed.

If there is no shuddering when you took apart the clutch (IE replace at the correct time) then there is no reason to replace the flywheel. Or even resurface it for that matter.

Originally Posted by perryinva
I was serious too, not baiting or provoking a reaction. I'm sorry that people are sick of IMSB discussions. I belong to the camp of "If you don't like them, then don't read them." I can easily say I'm sick of the "Look at my car with 19" wheels" threads too..I just don't read them. Constructive discussion is what is required, not insults and degrading name calling.

For one, I agree that the seal removed and bearing open on both sides would promote more flow through of oil through the bearing. How much and whether this has any value is debateable. Again, I'm not making waves or preaching. I only want to explain that only in theory, is theory proof of what occurs in reality. In reality, we know that the greased sealed steel bearing has lasted in (pick a number) close to 95% of the M96 engines, and 5% resulted in failure. If grease wash out was such a sure thing, then the failure would be much higher. In theory many are assuming that it is the grease wash out that has caused the failure. In reality, no one knows for sure. It is not worth anyones time to analyze the bearings (except maybe to JR) as it is moot to most whether it was the seals that failed, which then caused the wash out, or a slow wash out of the grease that caused the seals to fail, then the bearing. However, if the seals are the problem, and a better longer lasting seal, in a better smoother bearing could be used, then the issue is closer to being solved, inexpensively. The amount of grease in a sealed bearing is actually pretty small, typically less than 30% of the free space. Most, if not all, (I know of none that aren't, but that is not anything remotely definitive) ball bearing and race bearings are designed to be used with grease, not oil, as even in an oil bath, the ***** and races wear at an accelerated rate. So all those IMSBs that have lasted 75k miles, must still have grease of some kind in them. Ergo, better grease retention, means longer life. You can never assume that an oiled ball bearing will have no wear, or last as long as a greased bearing. They don't. But for sure, an oiled bearing will outlast an unoiled one. That is what I meant by the lessor of evils.

Without looking at the detailed assembley of the IMS, bearing, flange, etc design, dynamically, I, as an engineer, know not to assume that oil in the tube is definitively caused by travel through the bearing seals. Could be around the bearing seals, or some other path. Again, we have people assuming that in theory more oil flow is all that is required. Where is the reality check, or proof of the pudding? If you and Imo000 are willing to use your engines to provide such data, that is great. Most of us clearly don't say things like "Im looking forward to the next tear-down to check my new CH bearing." !! I applaud the labor and time you are putting in to all this. It will not be wasted, I am sure. My first choice, as I stated, would be to use a far better sealed, greased, CH bearing, if a ball bearing design was to be used, and like you, treat it as a wear item. The added life from the increased durability of the CH bearing would greatly stack the odds in my favor of no failure that way. Since the seals in a true sealed bearing hold grease in, and oil out, since they are not under pressure, I would expect a long useful life. IF I didn't want to pony up the cash for The Solution, which is a far better, well, solution.

The question of debris in an open bearing has been mentioned. Any debris is catastrophic for any ball bearing design. Less so, for a full ceramic bearing because the races and bearings are harder, smoother and truer, so debris can not get to where it can do as much damage, compared to the softer, wider tolerance steel bearings and races. The CH naturally does fall in between the two. Again, a sealed bearing would have far less chance of any debris entry, and one side open CH, less chance than a both sides open bearing. So there are your hazards. If you are just aware of these items, then you can be prepared for their possible outcomes.
Well some of this is correct and some is not. The bearing from the factory is not 'filled' with grease, it is about 30% as you stated. This is because grease actually causes friction in the bearing and as the speed approaches maximum the heat can be terminal. Having said that oil IS used on bearings, but only in a mist configuration and not flooded. These engines (and more importantly the IMS) are nowhere near that speed. So flood or grease will not be a factor
in the life of the bearing. NO lubrication or very old oil might, though.

Tolerance and clearance in a bearing has nothing to do with materials they are manufactured from. The tolerance group is a size definition, not a material definition. The only thing about the CF bearing is the ***** are tougher and last longer. (they are the significant wear item in the assembly) so any contamination would have less of an effect.

Just an update. Trans ready to go back in. New flywheel, clutch, pressure plate installed. Remember to look for "gearbox side" printed on clutch disc. Also clean flywheel and PP surface with a good solvent and lint free cloth.

Everything back together and running. On intial startup there was the usual valvetrain noise from having oil drained for several weeks but after 5 minutes engine is nice and quite and runs perfect.

Any idea how many miles I should take it easy on the new ceramic hybrid bearing?

Note about LNE, Casper Labs, and Pelican IMS bearings. Everyone concerned about "debri" in my sealess bearing does realize that both the LNE and Casper are at risk for this "debri" problem if there is one?

The LNE bearing is "open" on trans side and sealed on IMS tube side.
The Casper Labs bearing is "open" on both sides but has a freeze plug in tube.
The Pelican bearing is a "sealed" OEM type and runs the same risk as the OEM bearing.

So exactly how is my sealess bearing such a huge mistake and "risk" for debri?
No need to break in the bearing. You are not stressing the bearing from a speed perspective (IMS runs at half engine speed). so drive it like you stole it.

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
The big v6 2 stroke outboards are some examples of excellent engineering and manufacturing .The point was that ball bearings will survive in a similar(not exact) environment without grease .That's it and I will drop it .
It has been a while since I have been in a 2 stroke engine, but as long as they don't have a crankcase full of oil the difference is HUGE! The bearings are oil mist fed and this is the way a non greased bearing must be in order to survive high revs. So you cannot compare the two.

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Will you get a kickback from Pelican if they sell "your" kit?
I certainly hope so. His work should be compensated. How much that compensation is, is a whole 'nuther story.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:01 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

BOT

Last edited by KrazyK; 11-28-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

You capitalistic scum.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:36 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
You capitalistic scum.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:49 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation

His work should be compensated. How much that compensation is, is a whole 'nuther story.
Don't really know what "work" he did besides researching info that was already out there and performing your avg imsb update. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I'm concerned.

However if he does come out with a plug and play kit, I wouldn't be surprised if its successful, as he's already done a great job of bad mouthing and spreading the fear.

I wonder if PCA has blacklisted KK from joining yet...
Old 06-15-2013, 04:04 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many great products do we use that are modifications of what's already been in existence that just took the right person to bring them to fruition. Nothing wrong with criticism and skeptical discussion. Let each person judge and make their own decision. KK has got some of us thinking. That's worthy of applause IMO.

Last edited by dennis hiip; 06-15-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
How many great products do we use that are modifications of what's already been in existence that just took the right person to bring them to fruition. Nothing wrong with criticism and skeptical discussion. Let each person judge and make their own decision. KK has got some of us thinking. That's worthy of applause IMO.
His next DIY is to fill his tires with cement. Since he doesn't drive it, they will never get out of round + no loss of pressure. That's important when your car is a piece of furniture.

Paranoia is an awful thing...isn't it?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:59 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Don't really know what "work" he did besides researching info that was already out there and performing your avg imsb update. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I'm concerned.

However if he does come out with a plug and play kit, I wouldn't be surprised if its successful, as he's already done a great job of bad mouthing and spreading the fear.

I wonder if PCA has blacklisted KK from joining yet...

+1000

It has nothing to do with being a capitalist scum. It does, however, have everything to do with being a lying and deceiving scum. A few posts ago KK insinuated that the parts list was being delayed because it "got absurdly long". Then a few posts later he posts the truth, which is that he is waiting to hear back from Pelican before he divulges his "secrets".

KK not only learned a good bit of his IM** technical knowledge from JR, he also learned about IM** marketing from him as well. Either that or they both have read "IM** Guerrilla Internet Marketing for Dummies".

It all comes down to integrity, of which KK has none(and JR has little) IMHO. KK has been on this forum slamming the 996 in almost every single one of his posts, AND NOW WE KNOW WHY. Like Raby, Krazy, has littered this forum with fear mongering for years. However, unlike Raby, KK was deceitful in his agenda(at least it only took half a brain to discern JR's agenda).

All of this has served no purpose, IMHO, but to degrade this forum and sully the 996 ownership experience for many of us here. I'd personally push around a broken 996 than give either of these two one red cent.

Quick Reply: Different Approach to DIY IMSB Retro / Parts and Pics