996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Cab Firewall - Guardian Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013 | 09:35 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Default 996 Cab Firewall - Guardian Install

I've been traveling a lot lately but took off a little early today to try to finish up the IMS Guardian install I started earlier. The only real problem I've run into so far is trying to figure out how to get the wiring through to the engine. I've spent enough time searching that I'm starting to feel stupid. I've pulled apart quite a bit of the interior in the rear, too, and I can't find anywhere that will provide straight forward access to the engine bay.

I'm not comfortable with pulling out a drill. Does anyone have a Diagram for Dummies on how to get the wiring to the engine in a Cab?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Eric
Old 04-13-2013 | 01:54 AM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

You need to take of the rear passenger panel. Once the panel is off its a lot of padding to be pulled out and there will be a rubber grommet with wiring that goes to the engine compartment. Use a screwdriver to get a hole in it and some steel wire (wire hanger) to run your wire with it. There is a hidden screw under the panel that you will need to get to in order to remove the panel. Use a flash light to find it. If I recall its on the top corner closest to the seatbelt area. I ran a reverse camera to the head unit that way.
Old 04-13-2013 | 03:01 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PcarDrmr
You need to take of the rear passenger panel. Once the panel is off its a lot of padding to be pulled out and there will be a rubber grommet with wiring that goes to the engine compartment. Use a screwdriver to get a hole in it and some steel wire (wire hanger) to run your wire with it. There is a hidden screw under the panel that you will need to get to in order to remove the panel. Use a flash light to find it. If I recall its on the top corner closest to the seatbelt area. I ran a reverse camera to the head unit that way.
Are you talking about a cab or a coupe? My car is a cab. I pulled the back panel and the rear side panel on the driver's side and there wasn't really a lot of padding anywhere. The whole system is hooked up but for the fact that I can't get through the firewall. I located one grommet under the carpeted area where the soft top sits when it's down but then the wiring isn't long enough to reach anywhere near the plug.

-Eric
Old 04-13-2013 | 05:24 PM
DK570
Racer

It's been a while since I poked around back there, but as I recall there are two holes behind where the rear passengers legs would be. One on each side. These holes can get filled with overspray from the factory, but you can poke through very easily.
Old 04-13-2013 | 05:38 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The fact that the car is a cab makes no difference. I always locate a factory pass through point, pop off the rubber plugs, cut them to make a grommet and run the wires through them. We've installed a ton of these and haven't ever had issues with cabs more than coupes.

There are many ways to run the wires to the engine, some have ran them through the boot that allows the shift cables to pass through the cabin, others run them the way that I explained above and others have drilled and used a grommet. As long as the wires are not near a heat source, don't pose a road hazard, or don't contact mechanical workings there really is no problem with running the wires however you see fit.
Old 04-13-2013 | 06:25 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

right rear, this is a coupe, but basically the same area. You have to pull a lot of foam to get to the grommet.

Old 04-14-2013 | 10:24 AM
B r i a n
Racer

I went through where the shift cables go through. After removing most of the interior I couldn't find a good place without going through with starting to remove the convertible top parts.
Old 04-15-2013 | 11:25 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The good news is that I actually found a solution on Saturday -- there's a grommet on the rear passenger side floor that provides access through another grommet in the wheel well.

The bad news (for me, at least) is that within 30 seconds of feeding the wiring through the grommets, I was hit with symptoms of the flu (or some nasty bug). At least, I now know why I've been keeping an empty bucket in my garage. Project cut short again.

I will say this about the kit: It's actually a very straight forward install. The install really shouldn't take more than a few hours for even a novice -- assuming they know the location(s) of grommets to pass through the firewall. It should be much quicker for someone with experience. The actual electrical connections couldn't be easier.

My only real criticism is with respect to the pass through -- at least on the cab. I know Jake said that there's no difference between a coupe and a cab and I won't argue since I have no clue. All I can tell you is that to someone who has never seen the underside of their 996 before trying to tackle this project, it's a learning experience. I found plenty of grommets. Where their counterparts existed within the car still remains a mystery. I have no doubt there may be some behind all of the rollover protection behind the back seat but I wasn't going near that. Brian's suggestion was the only other place I was prepared to start pulling apart since I had to imagine there was a way through the shift linkage cables. Some of it may be second nature to folks who work on these cars but to the novice some of these things just didn't jump out at me.

Anyway, once I'm feeling better and able to get out of bed (maybe by the weekend?) I'll button everything up underneath the car, connect the wires to the plug and make sure it actually works.

I guess one other bit of good news is that when I pulled off the shifter cover before holding off on that approach I discovered a B&M short shifter on my car. I've always loved the way the car has shifted and I could never imagine why anyone would change out their shifter. I guess I now know why!

-Eric

Quick Reply: 996 Cab Firewall - Guardian Install