Seat Cover Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM
MODiesel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Cover Issue

Hello All!

I’m looking for a bit of help in trying to fix an issue with the driver’s side sport seat in our ’02 C2. I had a big friend sit in the car, and in doing so he pulled the leather seat cover out of the channel at the edge of the hard shell seatback. I’ve tried to no avail to tug and tuck the seat cover back into the channel, but it doesn’t want to stay put. There appear to be some tiny metal clips along the edge of the seat cover that hold it in place. I’m not sure if mine are now bent or if a few fell off for they no longer want to hold.

I called a local upholstery shop that specializes in repair to automotive leather. They said they can fix it but that I need to get new clips from Porsche. Unfortunately, calling the local Porsche dealer proved to be fruitless as the parts guy had no idea what I was talking about. To that end, I downloaded a version of PET and tried to find a part number for the clips, but it doesn’t seem like they are shown anywhere in there.

Has anyone else encountered this, and/or does anyone know the part number for the metal clips? This happened about 2mos ago, and in the interim the seat cover has worn some of the coating off the seatback (as evident in the picks). I’m not overly concerned about that as you can’t see it when the seat is positioned normally, but I’d also like to get it fixed before it gets worse. Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Personally, I'd find a new upholstery shop. If they are experts, they should be able to locate the necessary parts. They do this for a living, right?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^
This.

But if not, contact Suncoast Porsche, their people are great and will spend the time making sure you get the exact part you need. Plus, they usually sell their parts at a solid discount compared to other dealerships.

Cheers,

DS
Old 02-13-2016, 01:51 PM
Colman140
AutoX

MODiesel,
Did you ever figure out the part number for those clips? I have the same issue and just need a few extra upholstery clips to fix my seat.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Colman140
MODiesel,
Did you ever figure out the part number for those clips? I have the same issue and just need a few extra upholstery clips to fix my seat.
What year is the seat? & are you talking about a plastic clip or metal?
Old 02-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Colman140
AutoX

The Seat is the sport seat in a 2003 Carrera 4S. I changed out the hard plastic shell on the back along with the foam on the inside of the seat. I have clipped the leather into the center of the plastic shell. Now I am trying to reattach the leather along the rim of the plastic shell. It uses a small metal clip that folds over the plastic lip and pushes into the seam. I need a couple more metal clips and can't find them. I called Sonnen and AutoAtlanta, with no luck. Any clue what the part# is for reattaching the leather upholstery to the rim of the outer plastic sport seat?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

The Seat is the sport seat in a 2003 Carrera 4S. I changed out the hard plastic shell on the back along with the foam on the inside of the seat. I have clipped the leather into the center of the plastic shell. Now I am trying to reattach the leather along the rim of the plastic shell. It uses a small metal clip that folds over the plastic lip and pushes into the seam. I need a couple more metal clips and can't find them. I called Sonnen and AutoAtlanta, with no luck. Any clue what the part# is for reattaching the leather upholstery to the rim of the outer plastic sport seat?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
I have 2004 seats & am about to remove the hard shell to fix the back release which is stuck in the forward position. I get alot of resistance as I try to pull off the shell, must be caused by the clips you mentioned.
I'll post if I find a part #.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Colman140
AutoX

Someone previously posted a step by step pictorial guide for taking apart the top portion of the seat. I'll try and find it for you. Last thing you want to do is break any of the tabs on the back hard shell because replacing it is a quick $350-450 you probably don't want to spend.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Someone previously posted a step by step pictorial guide for taking apart the top portion of the seat. I'll try and find it for you. Last thing you want to do is break any of the tabs on the back hard shell because replacing it is a quick $350-450 you probably don't want to spend.
That would be great, I've been stuck on this step for 2 months.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:16 PM
Colman140
AutoX

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
That would be great, I've been stuck on this step for 2 months.
Byprodriver,

Sorry for the delayed response. Check out these two posts:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...m-sport-seats/
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...placement.html

I ended up getting my clip issue solved by taking the seat to a vehicle upholstery place. The guy there ordered 3 different types of clips before he came up with the right one. I would have preferred to do the work myself but it didn't appear anyone on the forum site knew where to get the clips (or atleast didn't send a response). I called 5 different places and asked about the clips with no luck. Like you, I'm ready to just fix the seat and drive the car for the summer. All good to go now.

Quick Reply: Seat Cover Issue