Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What tires should I get?
Sumitomo HTR Z II, 360 A A, $524
2.47%
Sumitomo HTR Z III, 300 AA A, $558
38.27%
Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110, 280 AA A, $716
25.93%
Continental ExtremeContact DWS, 540 A A, $742
4.94%
Continental ExtremeContact DW, 340 AA A, $826
12.35%
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, 500 AA A, $1000
8.64%
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, 280 AA A, $1024
7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Summer tires for a DD

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I ran PS2's for four+ years, they were the best of any tire I had run. Last summer I went to the PSS and consider them a step up from the PS2. Quieter, better ride, better traction wet and dry, less expensive and supposed to be longer lasting. Not sure what sjfehr means by luxury performance tire? Maybe because they are quieter and ride better than the PS2. But the also out perform them!

There are some tires that may be better on a dry track but this poll is for DD tires.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's interesting that the Michelin tires keep being mentioned. I looked at the Michelin site and the only tires that come up in a search are:

-Pilot Sport A/S Plus
-Pilot Sport Cup
-Pilot Sport PS2

Yet, I did a search on Discount Tire, and got results for both 225/40-18 and 265/35-18 in a Pilot Super Sport. So, I figured out Tire Rack and Michelin were only searching for 285/30-18 in the rear. I now see there are more options.

The PS2's are $1,284, too expensive IMO. The Bridgestone RE-11 is $1,124 which is still really more than I'd like to spend. The PSS is $962, this may now be a likely candidate. I also may consider the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, $758. If it's possible to add them to the poll, I will.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:20 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DK570
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's interesting that the Michelin tires keep being mentioned. I looked at the Michelin site and the only tires that come up in a search are:

-Pilot Sport A/S Plus
-Pilot Sport Cup
-Pilot Sport PS2

Yet, I did a search on Discount Tire, and got results for both 225/40-18 and 265/35-18 in a Pilot Super Sport. So, I figured out Tire Rack and Michelin were only searching for 285/30-18 in the rear. I now see there are more options.

The PS2's are $1,284, too expensive IMO. The Bridgestone RE-11 is $1,124 which is still really more than I'd like to spend. The PSS is $962, this may now be a likely candidate. I also may consider the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, $758. If it's possible to add them to the poll, I will.
I would not suggest the RE-11, BFG Rival, or Starspec ZII. They are fairly agressive track tires, not really suitable for the DD which you intend to use them for, they are slightly noisy, if they are anything like the old RE11 or Starspec ZI. The GY Asymmetric 2 is a nice affordable tire I have not used them myself, but my cousin runs them on his S2k and is fairly happy with them.

The PS2 is a nice tire but you are mainly paying for the N-rating IMO. I think the reason they are still so popular in the C4S and Turbo community is because they are offered in the OEM fitment while the PSS's are not.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Yeah, it's BRAND new, as in, was just released about 3 weeks ago. BFG's had a launch promo in New Orleans; they didn't have timers up, but there's a ton of anecdotal reports. They all say pretty much the same thing, which is overwhelmingly positive: http://www.solomatters.com/2013/02/t...what-it-means/

Dunlop Direzza ZII was released about the same time, and is also supposed to be really good as well. Bridgestone RE11A will be coming out in the next 2-3 weeks, too.
This user is requesting a tire for his Daily Driver, he is looking for long tire life, and the car doesn't see track days. The three tires you suggested are fairly impractical for what he is looking for.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

My comments about ZII, Rival & RE11A were in reply to Hal, who suggested HTRZIII was too low performance.
Originally Posted by Dharn55
Not sure what sjfehr means by luxury performance tire? Maybe because they are quieter and ride better than the PS2. But the also out perform them!
Yes, I was referring to comfort, quietness, and price when I said "luxury". This technology is a compromise, so PS2/PSS give up quantitative performance for highly subjective features, and charge a premium to do it. I always find it crazy how many people buy a porsche and then complain that it's got a stiff suspension. Of course it does, it's a Porsche! If you want hundreds of pounds of sound dampening for a whisper quiet ride on soft feathery suspension, you bought the wrong car.

FWIW, I've been running star specs for 5 years now with 0 complaints about road noise or ride comfort. From full tread to the point of delamination, I just don't notice any road noise; it's there if a listen for it, but it's certainly never bothered me. It's all relative, I suppose. OP seemed pretty clear he was not looking to spend a fortune on tires, so PS2/PSS are probably out with that respect alone. HTRZIII seems to be his best fit.

Last edited by sjfehr; 03-04-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The Mich PS2 "N3" are a little more and ride rough but best grip on DRY pavement. How often do you drive on wet pavement anyway? Ive never driven in rain so cant vouch for wet road handling. They are Porsche certified OEM replacement. Just buy a few at a time over a few months to spread out the cost. Some of the other tires are cheap knock offs and wil not deliver the performance of the Mich.

You can forget about "quite and comfortable" when talking Porsche. You can add "cheap" in there too. Youre not going to find cheap Porsche tires.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Michelin super sports. Too bad they dont make them in 4S sizes. Sumis 3s are aweful but get the job done for half the price. Dont bother using them at the track. The super sports have great reviews, less $ than PS2 and wear better with improved grip.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
The Mich PS2 "N3" are a little more and ride rough but best grip on DRY pavement. How often do you drive on wet pavement anyway? Ive never driven in rain so cant vouch for wet road handling. They are Porsche certified OEM replacement. Just buy a few at a time over a few months to spread out the cost. Some of the other tires are cheap knock offs and wil not deliver the performance of the Mich.

You can forget about "quite and comfortable" when talking Porsche. You can add "cheap" in there too. Youre not going to find cheap Porsche tires.
Interesting comments about the PS2 N3 ride quality. That's what I'm currently running for my summer tires, and I think they provide the best combination of ride quality and performance of any tire that I've had on the C4S. I've had no issues at all with them in the rain - they do fine.

I tried the Sumis once after hearing everybody talk about them, and I found them to be harder than the PS2s and they were much, much louder as they began to wear.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

I keep the air pressure at close to max on rear. Maybe thats why.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:48 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this may be heresy for some, but I have replaced the Toyo TR1 with Sumis and then with the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus - an ALL Season Tire (gasp) - and it's been the best tire I've run. I bought the A/S plus thinking I'd run with it 4 seasons before I moved out of the city and now have the space for a dedicated setup.

Even though I now have dedicated winter setup - I run the Michelin A/S Plus 3 seasons *AND* I've tracked with it - it's amazing that an A/S tire does so much better than the lesser summer tires.

I hate to say it but the 2X price difference can't all be attributed to marketing. I can understand at 25% price difference but at 2X, I just think Michelin ends up making better tires - Now I can imagine what the PS will do in the summer!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Im usually pretty cheap about buying but you cant afford to "cheap out" on tires. Just buy the Mich's and get it over with.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:13 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hardback
Michelin super sports. Too bad they dont make them in 4S sizes.
You can make them work if you want. P285/35R18 rears and P225/45R18 fronts. They fit pretty good, I have run this combination on my C4S last year and will probably do the same again this summer since there is no other tire on the market I really want to try.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been running the Sumitomo HTR ZIII for a few years. For street use, they are fine. Mine are getting worn now, but I don't notice the noise compared to the top-down wind noise and the Fister-style muffler Mod . As far as grip and ride, they have been more than adequate, and better than the previous Continentals I had. As far a wear, I'm getting the expected 15k+ miles, maybe 18k if I'm lucky.

If you want a performance tire for the track or AutoX, spend the money. For the street, I'm good with the Sumi's.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Michelin supposed to release the super sport in n series soon,they started making ps2s again in 18 inch sizes(225-40/285-30 and 295-30) IMO the best overall tire,also can highly recommend Bridgestone so2a both OEM equipment....a little more cash of course but worth it!!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:59 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randy308@optonline.net
Michelin supposed to release the super sport in n series soon,they started making ps2s again in 18 inch sizes(225-40/285-30 and 295-30) IMO the best overall tire,also can highly recommend Bridgestone so2a both OEM equipment....a little more cash of course but worth it!!
Do you have any actual info on release time and documentation of an n-rated PSS? I have been hearing about them releasing N-rated since last spring, but my michelin rep says there is still nothing confirmed yet. If they are coming out soon, I may hold off on my order of normal PSS's right now until they are released.

Quick Reply: Summer tires for a DD