Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New member: from BMW to Porsche? New to me 996 GT3 clone (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:40 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RDUBiker
Thanks, everyone. We both really love the car so far. I can't wait to get past the engine break in and head back to VIR for the first time in years. I miss it tons.

A few questions if anyone has any quick input:

1. Is there a relatively easy way to add either aux in or bluetooth? I want to stream pandora while driving. I hate FM radio

2. Do all 996 take a while to fire up? The other cars I have seem to start instantly but it seems like the 996 has a bit of delay.

3. What's the deal with the clicking noise each time I press or let the clutch out?

4. My drivers door has something rattling. Before I pull the door trim panel off, any ideas?

5. I plan to hardware my radar soon. I assume I can tap into the sunroof switch. Anyone know offhand which wire is the right color?

6. What sites do y'all use for OEM parts?

7. Has anyone added heated seats? Mine could use them but I wonder how tricky the seat leather is to remove and replace.

8. Does anyone make a decent seat cover or leather replacement?
Welcome! from a fellow motorcycle rider.

1. don't know, I generally listen to the flat 6

2. My previous '99 996, my Boxster and my Turbo generally fire instantly. If the battery was a bit low it may take a second or two. This hasn't happened for years as I now use a battery tender overnight even if drive every day. These cars will eat batteries if you don't.

3. CC and interlock switches

4. Speaker, window, or track

5. Don't know, mine have all been Cabs

6. Try FCP, I recently bought Mann German oil filters for $6.11, (Mann) Air filter for Boxster $13.11 and for the Turbo (Mahle) $24.15. Jeep Cherokee parts prices for my Porsches!

7. Do a search, there have been threads on this.

8. Don't know who, but yes

Good luck, you'll love these cars
Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 AM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1. If non MOST yes
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Brian! For parts you can also call Travis at Rennbay. No, he doesn't have an online ordering system for OEM parts but he does have the best prices if you take the time to call him. He knows me as "william." I just ordered a waterpump from him a few weeks ago. Enjoy the 996.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:38 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome. Nice looking car. Although the front is actually a C4S front. It differs very slightly from the Turbo front. The only difference is that the plastic piece on the bottom of the turbo runs straight across on the bottom and the one on the C4S goes up a little bit in the middle like yours.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
RDUBiker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Hi Brian! For parts you can also call Travis at Rennbay. No, he doesn't have an online ordering system for OEM parts but he does have the best prices if you take the time to call him. He knows me as "william." I just ordered a waterpump from him a few weeks ago. Enjoy the 996.
Good to know, "William" - thanks

Originally Posted by uberskier
Welcome. Nice looking car. Although the front is actually a C4S front. It differs very slightly from the Turbo front. The only difference is that the plastic piece on the bottom of the turbo runs straight across on the bottom and the one on the C4S goes up a little bit in the middle like yours.
Good to know...thanks for the clarification as I did not know that either.

Regardless of what car it came from though, I do like it 1000x better than the stock front end on the 996 C2 so I'm happy no matter what it's called.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Trojan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello from over in Greensboro! Great looking M5 too. I'm hoping to go to my first track days this year Hoping to be down at AMP in May and up at VIR later in the year. Cheers!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:16 PM
RDUBiker
Advanced

Great! New track drivers are the most fun. I plan to be at VIR instructing again soon. It's been about 5 years since I was on track Really miss it.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Nitrosobmw
Advanced

Very nice gt3 clone op, i am a previews 600 turbo e36 owner, sold it 3 months ago to purchse my 2000 996 c2, im a diyer aswell man and right now im thinking of building a custom exhaust system,

I see that u have a magnaflow system, i imagine is custom, i hope you dont mind posting pics of it or emailing a few to me, alex.sales2@hotmail.com

Thanks and again great car!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM
RDUBiker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nitrosobmw
Very nice gt3 clone op, i am a previews 600 turbo e36 owner, sold it 3 months ago to purchse my 2000 996 c2, im a diyer aswell man and right now im thinking of building a custom exhaust system,

I see that u have a magnaflow system, i imagine is custom, i hope you dont mind posting pics of it or emailing a few to me, alex.sales2@hotmail.com

Thanks and again great car!!!
The information about it being Magnaflow is all second hand. I haven't inspected it myself so I really don't know. I plan to get this thing up on my lift soon enough to change oil and pull the pan and do a few other things so I'll snap lots of photos and report back.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
RDUBiker
Advanced

Looks like I'll be putting the car up for sale. Watch for an ad soon.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Trojan
Advanced

Looks like I'll be putting the car up for sale. Watch for an ad soon.
Sorry to hear that. Issue(s) with the car? Ever get it to the track? Getting another, or something else?

I made it to AMP earlier in the year and had a blast. Going back this weekend, and still going to make it to VIR later this year.

Cheers from GSO.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 AM
RDUBiker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trojan
Sorry to hear that. Issue(s) with the car? Ever get it to the track? Getting another, or something else?

I made it to AMP earlier in the year and had a blast. Going back this weekend, and still going to make it to VIR later this year.

Cheers from GSO.
No, the car is awesome. My wife and daughter both love it and drive it daily. She prefers that over the other cars. We just have too many cars.

It's not seen the track. The engine was just refreshed by Raby a few months ago and I did the oil change to street oil (after break-in oil was removed) and have not put many miles on it since. Not replacing with anything - trying to downsize. Two drivers don't need four cars
Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Trojan
Advanced

No, the car is awesome. My wife and daughter both love it and drive it daily. She prefers that over the other cars. We just have too many cars.

It's not seen the track. The engine was just refreshed by Raby a few months ago and I did the oil change to street oil (after break-in oil was removed) and have not put many miles on it since. Not replacing with anything - trying to downsize. Two drivers don't need four cars
I hear you. I am getting a company car soon and the wife refuses to have 4 cars when we are the only 2 driving. In my case it's her car or the truck that will be going away.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 AM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

BMW's and Porsche's go hand in hand. I've been back and fourth since I was 16 with my 944's, E30's. Up to my E36 M3's, E46 M3, the wifes E70 X5. I'm also a motorcycle rider as well, but never found myself on a Beamer unfortunately (CBR's etc) although that S1000RR is tempting, just not while I live in Hawaii with no track or windy roads to use my knee sliders. Like you I am much more familiar with working on BMW's, this rear engine flat 6 thing is a little scary to dive into at first. But after tinkering around a little, I'm starting to learn it. Welcome to the club, gorgeous 996!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:06 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not replacing with anything - trying to downsize. Two drivers don't need four cars
That is a terrible excuse! My wife tells me to downsize, so sell one then eventually 2 seem to replace it lol. Between work vehicles and personal vehicles we have 6 vehicles and a 2 car garage and only 2 of us driving ha ha. Well at least one is in off site storage.

Quick Reply: New member: from BMW to Porsche? New to me 996 GT3 clone (PICS)