Sponsored by:

Paint Correction Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Paint Correction Thread

Ok, I am starting up the paint correction thread as promised. This will be in multiple segments over the next few weeks. I will combine video and stills to show the steps and progress.

I spent the day in the garage filming the clay bar process but can't get the vid to import onto my iPad. I will fix that tomorrow.

The car: 1999 996 finished in Guard Red. Factory MK1 wing with Tech Art front bumper and side skirts.

Here is a picture of the paint in its true form; ie, no wax or sealants. This was after claying the paint. What you see are swirl marks from washing/drying, automatic car washes, etc. a lot of time, sweat and tears will be spent ridding the paint of these dreaded swirls.

Stay tuned, much more to come!
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed
Old 07-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

As a little teaser, here is a picture of a test spot I did today. Remarkable difference. Notice the clarity, reflection and depth of gloss. This test spot was done with Menzerna FG400 for the initial cut and two more polishing steps with Menzerna Super Finish.

I will talk more about why I chose Menzerna and the machine and pads used.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Gator996; 07-07-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:59 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 448 Likes on 290 Posts

No intention at all to hijack this thread... I will follow it with great interest!. I just thought this may be of interest, since I haven't seen anyone else post magnified paint pix.

I posted these pix a couple days ago to a different thread, but thought they might be of value here. The first picture is a 50x magnification of the paint (Lapis Blue metallic) , after using a paint cleaner and 3M Scratch Remover (I wish I had taken a picture before that treatment). The second picture is the same area after a clay bar treatment.

The surface debris remaining after paint cleaner and scratch remover treatment is circled in red. Note the vast improvement after clay bar treatment:
Attached Images   
Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Subscribed. I feel like I'm on Autogeek again...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Me too Alpine! We don't see many show and shines here.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great info Gator. Will you also be showing some how to's on paint thats not quite so bad as the one your doing now?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Hopefully your going to cover correcting orange peel, I had some paintwork done last year and the quality isnt what I would expect.
I underdstand wetsanding is the fix but I havent plucked up enough courage to try it yet
Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, unbelievable difference. Can't wait to see more.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Looking good Gator!!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

DISCLAIMER: If there is a detailing process that you use and products that you like, please continue to do what works for you. I am just one guy with one way of doing things over 20 years of polishing paint.

Here is video #1. In this video, I demonstrate the clay bar. This is by no means a professional production. Please forgive my sweaty appearance. It was easily 9000 degrees in my North Florida garage. Also, my helper dogs were barking at a squirrel in the background but the sound should be ok.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Krazy, my last set of vids will cover routine maintenance and tips to keep your car looking great. A lot of you guys are OCD like me when it comes to your cars so you know how to maintain your paint. We can make it a back and forth discussion with everybody tossing in there favorite ways and products.

Lets talk orange peel for a moment since Ross brought it up. Orange peel is insidious and the bane of all detailers that care. Unfortunately, orange peel is more and more common...even on high end luxury cars. How does it get there? Well, typically they are spraying the clear at a higher psi. More air equals less paint. Car makers are cheap and so are some body shops. The other issue are the EPA mandated water based paints. They just don't flow like the old fashioned enamels. The sad thing is, orange peel can be avoided if the painter gives a damn.

The most common fix for orange peel is to wet sand and then buff the paint. There are MAJOR risks to wet sanding your clear coat. First, it is thin. Second, if you sand through it then it's time for a respray. How thin is your clear? Factory clear is stupidly thin. Again, car makers are shaving off every penny these days. The typical clear coat from the factory is 2mils thick. That is 2000th of a millimeter. You little yellow post it note is 3mils thick. Sad isn't it.

So, if your car is factory paint with orange peel, I would not recommend sanding it. You really cant spare the clear. If your car was painted after the factory, talk to your body shop guy and see if he can tell you how much clear he sprayed on. That will give you and idea of what you are playing with. I would not learn to wetsand on my own car though. Get some junk panels from the scrap yard and play with those. There are also some very competent detailers out there that I would trust to sand my car. No easy answer on orange peel.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can we request that instead of you personally starring in the next sweaty video, it be the lady in your avatar? Actually, ANY lady from ANY of your avatars would be fine... :-)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

I will add the request to my production notes Walter!

And yes, HD video sucks for the presenter. I go on television almost weekly and those damn HD cams show every defect, even down to your dna. I look horrible on camera and am the first to admit it.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Video #2: In this segment, I show the paint defects after washing, clay barring and washing again. If you haven't heard of a swirl mark this is for you.

Quick Reply: Paint Correction Thread