Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New member: from BMW to Porsche? New to me 996 GT3 clone (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Some great looking cars you have and the garage looks amazing

Congrats on the newly acquired 996 it looks like you got a stunner. I can hear the track calling your name already. Can't wait to hear your impressions of it after the first track day. I would also consider a LED Interior Lighting Kit
Old 03-01-2013, 12:00 PM
RDUBiker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love LED but am not keen on putting much into this car.

The driver's side seat leather has a small hole I didn't see before - does anyone sell covers that match well or OEM seat leather? Tried looking on Ebay but didn't find much.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.classic9leathershop.com/u...r-automobiles/

But im sure a local upholstery shop could repair.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great pics of current and past rides. What a garage set up you have, sweet. Welcome.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 PM
KC-944 Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great car! Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the party. Nice looking car (s).
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

The M5 and the superbike are sweet!

Welcome to p-cars. It's a whole 'nother level...
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome & enjoy!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

Welcome to RLot. Great looking GT3 Clone you got there.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Pchip
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great car. I was looking at that one also with similar plans to you I believe. I live in the RDU area and want to spend more time at VIR, so looking for a street/track car. With the grey one gone (congrats by the way) I am focused on a speed yellow 996 GT3 clone. Did you make it out to Cars and Coffee today? If so I didn't see you.
Chip
Old 03-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Welcome, beautiful garage and a sweet new ride, lucky guy !

Rennlist guys are the best, very open to discussing other vehicles and an all around fun bunch.
Probably because most RL people own a few different rides, not all Pcars.

Try posting a pic of your 911 on Bimmerfest and you'll get a lot of chit and a few worthwhile comments
Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the group and nice cars!

I've got a couple of BMWs also, an E38 and E34. Those E34s are built like a tank!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 PM
RDUBiker
Advanced

Thanks, everyone. We both really love the car so far. I can't wait to get past the engine break in and head back to VIR for the first time in years. I miss it tons.

A few questions if anyone has any quick input:

1. Is there a relatively easy way to add either aux in or bluetooth? I want to stream pandora while driving. I hate FM radio

2. Do all 996 take a while to fire up? The other cars I have seem to start instantly but it seems like the 996 has a bit of delay.

3. What's the deal with the clicking noise each time I press or let the clutch out?

4. My drivers door has something rattling. Before I pull the door trim panel off, any ideas?

5. I plan to hardware my radar soon. I assume I can tap into the sunroof switch. Anyone know offhand which wire is the right color?

6. What sites do y'all use for OEM parts?

7. Has anyone added heated seats? Mine could use them but I wonder how tricky the seat leather is to remove and replace.

8. Does anyone make a decent seat cover or leather replacement?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:21 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Is there a relatively easy way to add either aux in or bluetooth? I want to stream pandora while driving. I hate FM radio

- I think Becker makes a plug in cable kit to connect iPod/iPhone for the OEM radio, but you may be better off doing a double-DIN conversion and put in a modern doubl-DIN radio that has all the bells and whistles, and better audio quality.

2. Do all 996 take a while to fire up? The other cars I have seem to start instantly but it seems like the 996 has a bit of delay.

- If it's about 1/2 a second then sounds about right, you could always check with Jake at Flast Six for his thoughts.

3. What's the deal with the clicking noise each time I press or let the clutch out?

- Could be either one of the two switches for the clutch interlock for starting or cruise control release, or the assist spring in the clutch pedal hinge area wich some people remove to gain better clutch feel at the expense of requiring higher effort, you can try some lithium grease to see if it quiets the clicking.

4. My drivers door has something rattling. Before I pull the door trim panel off, any ideas?

5. I plan to hardware my radar soon. I assume I can tap into the sunroof switch. Anyone know offhand which wire is the right color?

6. What sites do y'all use for OEM parts?

- http://www.suncoastporsche.com/parts/
- https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...arts-page.html
- http://www.pelicanparts.com/

It pays to compare price as not one place will consistently have the best price, also factor in shipping costs too.

7. Has anyone added heated seats? Mine could use them but I wonder how tricky the seat leather is to remove and replace.

- I love my heated seats in thos early spring and late fall days when I try to stretch the driving season longer.

8. Does anyone make a decent seat cover or leather replacement?

http://www.classic9leathershop.com/ is well known outfit, not inexpensive but seem to be good quality, I am considering getting them to replace the worn driver side seat leather but I hope someone may provide other alternative shops in this thread.

Last edited by aviography; 03-03-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I'll answer #2 & 3

- I note that cars prior to 2004 do take a couple of extra revolutions to start over the later cars, but thats not a bad thing since the engine is able to build oil pressure before the engine fires up, which I prefer. Your car started as it should the last time I drove it.

- The noise the clutch makes is the springs in the pressure plate and or the clutch operation lever. If I listen hard enough I can hear the clutches operate in about 90% of the cars I test.

Neer forget that the car is over a decade old and is pushing 80K miles, having seen a lot of track time in the past while being well taken care of. Some rattles and imperfections are going to exist, no matter what. That car is super clean and with some TLC it'll live forever.

Quick Reply: New member: from BMW to Porsche? New to me 996 GT3 clone (PICS)