Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The hardest part of owning a porsche is...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The hardest part of owning a porsche is...

.....selling a porsche.

As much as I hate to do it, and there are many reasons I HATE to do it, I'm seriously considering selling my 2002 996 C4S.

How on earth do I determine a selling price? I know it's worth what someone is willing to pay, but I gotta start somewhere. Is there somewhere besides KBB to look for a starting price. The car is in good shape, tons of records, 77K, Factory sport exhaust. A few minor scratches that can (And may) be fixed, the stock wheels have some rash.

I don't like haggling so I'd like to start with a realistic price that will make this as painless as possible.

Thanks in advance for you help. Mickey
Old 02-18-2013, 08:52 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I feel your pain. The wifie wants me to "thin the herd". I"m resisting hard! GL
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

JMO but if your not mechanically inclined (maybe even if you are), I would consider having a PPI done then repair issues if any or be honest about cars condition. I probably would not do this on most other makes.

To me as a buyer, I can live with honesty and repairing some issues versus a seller who is BS'ing about the cars condition. Others may say Im a completely ignorant fool about Porsches but it is an option to consider.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The hardest part of owning a Porsche is... all the girls that come and press their naked ***** against my windows. It leaves oil residue. Sheesh.

Oh. That's not what you were looking for. I would check RL, cars.com and autotrader for cars with similar features and mileage to get an idea. Unfortunately, a lot of 996's are coming down in price. Based on a quick survey of cars.com, you could start with low 30's, and come down if it doesn't sell.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What City & State (or country). Makes a big difference that KBB won't be as current on. I would do a search on AutoTrader and Cars.com with a very objective eye. Be one of the lowest for your year and model with similar mileage. I always act like a buyer when I am seller.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Zanzibar Red 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is that no banks today
Finance cars older than 4 years.
Do your buyer is going to be a guy who
gas 30 large in his pocket.
Your are going to have to compete as a Seller
with everybody who is desperate to raise cash
If you can fix every little thing and keep
it detailed get a car fax and advertise
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanzibar Red 996
Wondering who would finance with a bank? My CU will do a 8+ year old car at 3.74%. My Turbo was cash with a balance of $15K HELOC @2% . I can't see paying off a 2% loan with a CD earning 5%.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

I didn't mean to imply the car has issues, it doesn't, other than normal wear and tear.

This is one of the things I hate most about selling a car. What I consider a car in good condition someone else may think needs work, or is in perfect condition.

I've owned a 914, a 356 replica, an SC and now the 996. I've worked on all of them to some extent. The 996 the least. I've changed the oil every 3k, put on new pads and rotors, new tires and replaced teh cooliant tank since buying it last year. The car has every single record of every thing ever done to it.

I ran into the same issues with my SC. I had a binder full of records, detailed pics, etc... and to some it still wasn't enough.

As a seller I think all you can do is represent the car as honestly as possible. I think its up to the buyer to arrange PPIs, inspections, etc... Hell, when I sold the SC I offered to drive it up to the guy who bought it in Cape Cod. He opted out of a PPI and flew in and drove it home, without so much as a hiccup, I might add. And the last I heard from him the car was still running like a clock. Same think with the replica. I saw the guy last year at an event and he couldn't thank me enough. Anyway, I guess what will happen is what will happen.

I agree with the bank thing, I wouldn't even be considering a $30K + car if I had to borrow the money. CU, thats a different story. Probably a good way to go if needed.

Thanks for the tip on the sites to look for comp pricing. Much appreciated.

Annnnd, I always carry a pack of glass wipes to get rid of the residue
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 2,844 Posts

also most banks won't loan on cars with more than 100K miles or cars getting close to that number.

i've noticed many porsche owners are either people who think they want to sell their car or know they want to sell their car - unfortunately most think they want to sell their car and have no business wasting buyers time with asking prices that are ridiculous and everyone in the forum cheerleading them to death

i like to purchase drive and sell my 911's every year or 2 because its fun experiencing different cars - i like the hunt and enjoy traveling to california to buy and enjoying the drive home by myself without the family. great for clearing the head
just my deal and its a horrible addiction which i've tried shaking but can't.

when i sell a car i price it to sell - 1.5 yrs ago i sold my 99 996 w/114K miles for $16.5K and just did the IMS/clutch AOS/RMS - it was a very fair selling price and there was no back and forth BS and lots of people test driving my car - same holds true with my 82 911sc that i just sold in october - buyer wanted it because it was riced right.

F_cking around answering the phone and wasting time selling a car that is overpriced must be fun for people who are lonely.

do some research, check out the market and figure your car has a bit higher miles than most C4S's out there - the nice examples i've looked at were in the 50-60K miles range and selling prices(the price the owner would part with car) were in the low 30's. and these were really pristine examples in california.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 2,844 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
I feel your pain. The wifie wants me to "thin the herd". I"m resisting hard! GL
for a second there tim i thought maybe she wanted you to knock off one of her boyfriends?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve's MLC
The hardest part of owning a Porsche is... all the girls that come and press their naked ***** against my windows. It leaves oil residue. Sheesh.

Oh. That's not what you were looking for. I would check RL, cars.com and autotrader for cars with similar features and mileage to get an idea. Unfortunately, a lot of 996's are coming down in price. Based on a quick survey of cars.com, you could start with low 30's, and come down if it doesn't sell.
That's another reason to drive the Porsche in the winter. No sun screen oil on the breasts pressed against the windows.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zanzibar Red 996
Bank of America
Wells Fargo
Etc...

All more than happy to help out with a used car loan
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Credit Unions will finance them with very little hassle. My old one was willing to finance mine when I bought it, but I ended up going with Pentagon Federal Credit Union and they didn't care about age ('99...bought last year) or miles (79k) when I bought it. The PO actually mentioned PenFed to me, when I already had everything done with my usual credit union because they were quite a bit cheaper and easy to work with...both of which they were. I have no affiliation with them, but if you get a serious buyer who is having any issue with getting his bank to finance based on age, have them check them out.

GLWS,

DS
Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
also most banks won't loan on cars with more than 100K miles or cars getting close to that number.

i've noticed many porsche owners are either people who think they want to sell their car or know they want to sell their car - unfortunately most think they want to sell their car and have no business wasting buyers time with asking prices that are ridiculous and everyone in the forum cheerleading them to death

i like to purchase drive and sell my 911's every year or 2 because its fun experiencing different cars - i like the hunt and enjoy traveling to california to buy and enjoying the drive home by myself without the family. great for clearing the head
just my deal and its a horrible addiction which i've tried shaking but can't.

when i sell a car i price it to sell - 1.5 yrs ago i sold my 99 996 w/114K miles for $16.5K and just did the IMS/clutch AOS/RMS - it was a very fair selling price and there was no back and forth BS and lots of people test driving my car - same holds true with my 82 911sc that i just sold in october - buyer wanted it because it was riced right.

F_cking around answering the phone and wasting time selling a car that is overpriced must be fun for people who are lonely.

do some research, check out the market and figure your car has a bit higher miles than most C4S's out there - the nice examples i've looked at were in the 50-60K miles range and selling prices(the price the owner would part with car) were in the low 30's. and these were really pristine examples in california.
Yes, knowing and thinking are two different things. I guess I should have been specific. I KNOW I want to sell the car. I'm THINKING (or getting input) on a price.

I'm with you 100% and I share your same "span of enjoyment" with these cars too. I'm kinda surprised I'm bailing so quickly on this one (only a year). Next up..... 912.
My goal always is to keep it short and sweet. I thought I had my 356 replica and my SC priced fairly and still had to waste time with low-ballers and tire kickers. I love these cars. I hate selling them.

Got a pretty good idea of what to list it at. Just gotta get some pics done and get it listed.
Thanks to all for the help.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The hardest thing this morning...

Watching my wife drive off to work in the 911 when I wanted to drive it today. Her car is in the shop and she insisted!

Quick Reply: The hardest part of owning a porsche is...