Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The hardest part of owning a porsche is...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

listening to everyone bitch about how costly repairs are and thinking, wtf were you thinking? You bought a PORSCHE
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DId I miss something? Who's bitching about repairs?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,443 Likes on 2,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
listening to everyone bitch about how costly repairs are and thinking, wtf were you thinking? You bought a PORSCHE
its always a crapshoot - but if you do your homework, good chance you limit the repair bills!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mickey356
Awesome info!!!
I've been getting a lot of PMs with interest. I just want to get proper pics and info before posting ad.

So, the fact that the engine only has 35k on it has no influence on price? I know it's a unique situation but I thought it would give the car a little more of a "premium" being that it essentially is a very low mileage car for a 2002. It doesn't make much sense that all the "defects" lower the price but the one "bonus" has no affect.
mickey - not to get all crazy and start another IMS drama post but if you figure the engine was replaced at 41K miles and you stated that the engine most likely had an IMS failure, this doesn't really help the value of the car having the same replacement engine with 35K miles. there is a possibility the engine could have an IMS failure again since what i have read the iMS failures generally happen in the lower mileage range.
in other words if the original engine was in the car with 77K miles and an upgraded bearing, i would be more inclined to buy the car because the odds of the engine having a failure is much lower. also too is the fact that many porsche buyers like having the original engine in the car - i think a win win would be to do the IMS and clutch for $2K and the car would sell for $3K more and sell a lot quicker?
or is this just silly talk? should i be taking meds or go to bed?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
I feel your pain. The wifie wants me to "thin the herd". I"m resisting hard! GL
Hold firm - giving in will only breed resentment
Originally Posted by Steve's MLC
The hardest part of owning a Porsche is... all the girls that come and press their naked ***** against my windows. It leaves oil residue. Sheesh.
If the boys in the IHI thread find out you did not get pics.............
Old 02-21-2013, 12:33 AM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groovzilla
mickey - not to get all crazy and start another IMS drama post but if you figure the engine was replaced at 41K miles and you stated that the engine most likely had an IMS failure, this doesn't really help the value of the car having the same replacement engine with 35K miles. there is a possibility the engine could have an IMS failure again since what i have read the iMS failures generally happen in the lower mileage range.
in other words if the original engine was in the car with 77K miles and an upgraded bearing, i would be more inclined to buy the car because the odds of the engine having a failure is much lower. also too is the fact that many porsche buyers like having the original engine in the car - i think a win win would be to do the IMS and clutch for $2K and the car would sell for $3K more and sell a lot quicker?
Oh my GOD!!!
This is why I despise selling these cars, there's just no way out. Low miles. High miles. Doesn't matter. IMS & new clutch in and I'll get "Well that's what you SHOULD do. Why should I, the buyer, have to do ANYTHING to the car after buying it?" What's next, post purchase guarantees?

I've decided to get the curb rash fixed and fix the seat. Thats understandable. Beside that if someone wants a new Porsche I guess they should write the $130k check.

The thing that cracks me up is these RS "Tribute" cars are getting $60-$70k. Really? I mean for heavens sake, a stock car has been touched, painted, changed, modded, etc... the curse in all other cases. (I'm kidding of course. I totally get it)
I remember when I sold my SC I had put on SSIs, Rotas, M&K, RS seats, Rennshift shifter, Momo wheel, duck tail and some other things and all I heard was it wasn't stock. All those mods were worthless. As well as the top end. Buyers were telling me they could buy a stock SC with 90k miles on it for the same price, or less, than I was asking. Someone explained to me as "Porsche Math".

I'll never understand why people expect a pristine 10,20,30 year old car. They either have to be "projects" or perfect.

Ok. I'm done my rant now. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You ought to be able to sell your Porsche without doing the IMSB replacement by negotiating your sell price slightly once you have a serious buyer. There are so many non Rennlist people who most likely don't even know about that issue. Stay positive, you'll sell it.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

mickey - you'll have no problem selling your car - the C4S is a nice design and i've always been crazy about those wheels - clean it up, take great interior/exterior photos and post it on the vehicle for sale forum, peilican forum CL and i'd also do auto trader - considering it has the paint touch up on the hood and you say its somewhat noticeable, be happy with a $27K sell price but ask $29.5K - keep it below $30K and you should get lots of interest. i'd really like to see the photos when you have them ready - please update this thread so we can check them out.

if you ask any more you will be competing with pristine examples in the $31-$33K range with low miles

i am sure you will sell it and have fun with the 912 hunt.

heres my 912 back in 2006 on my drive back from the purchase in salt lake city - silver/black of course!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2013, 11:20 PM
UK2
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Hey Groovzilla, do you know a shop in the PNW that will do IMS and clutch for $2K?
Thanks

Last edited by UK2; 02-21-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leathers101
Hey Groovzilla, do you know a shop in the PNW that will do IMS and clutch for $2K?
Thanks
i am certain Akers porsche on capitol hill will do it for $2K - cost of clutch is $500-$600, IMS bearing $650 and $800 labor - tell them william said hi.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Groove, that pic is awesome!!!

I'm actually starting to get a little freaked out about buying a 912. I think I'd enjoy the car, and like all of my previous cars, I'd take good care of it and likely improve on what I bought. The scary part is knowing I'll probably want to sell it in a few years and I can't go through another "porsche selling masacre". I'm torn because I LOVE these cars but the selling process is just too much for me to take. Is it me, or does everyone out there that buys and sells these cars take the hit. And I often do a lot of the work on my cars so I'm not even paying all the labor.

Here’s what I’ve found online –
All the below cars are 2002 Porsche 996 C4S (it is not specified if IMS was done in any of these listings)

33,450 miles - $42,995
53,000 miles - $35,999
60,000 miles - $31,888
99,000 miles - $26,500 sold
31,800 miles - $39,900
33,000 miles - $35,000
17,000 miles - $37,000
58,000 miles - $34,999
78,000 miles - $29,999 (2 of them)

What am I missing here? There doesn’t really seem to be any rhyme or reason to these prices. I’m just not clear on why I should list my car @ $30,000 and take less when most cars are listed way higher. I mean, there’s a car listed at $37K with 17,000 miles on it, but one with 58,000 miles on it is only $2K less?
I know I may seem like a pain in the *** here, but I really want to make this as painless and simple as possible without being unrealistic on either end of the price. And since these types of cars are sometimes bought from a distance how can anyone be so sure the higher priced cars are in any better shape than the lower priced ones?
The post I put up on my car about the “problems” was me being very honest. I would venture to say that my car, once the wheels are repaired and the seat is folding again, is about as good as one could hope for in a 11 year old car. How do I go about convincing a potential buyer that they are getting a well taken care of car. I have EVERY record of EVERYTHING ever done to the car. It has Porsche Sport Exhaust. It has an engine with only 35,000 miles on it. Why would these things not bring a premium price?
I feel like no matter what a car has, or doesn’t, it makes no difference. What’s the secret to selling a good car at a fair price without being low-balled.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 AM
UK2
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote "What’s the secret to selling a good car at a fair price without being low-balled."

One secret to selling, well it's not really a secret, is to just list it at a price you think is fair and reasonable instead of talking about listing it!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:20 AM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leathers101
Quote "What’s the secret to selling a good car at a fair price without being low-balled."

One secret to selling, well it's not really a secret, is to just list it at a price you think is fair and reasonable instead of talking about listing it!!!
Point taken. You're right. I just hate opening the gates of hell

I'll take my lumps. Stop whining. And post it.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM
jd02c2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mickey356
Groove, that pic is awesome!!!

Here’s what I’ve found online –
All the below cars are 2002 Porsche 996 C4S (it is not specified if IMS was done in any of these listings)

33,450 miles - $42,995
53,000 miles - $35,999
60,000 miles - $31,888
99,000 miles - $26,500 sold
31,800 miles - $39,900
33,000 miles - $35,000
17,000 miles - $37,000
58,000 miles - $34,999
78,000 miles - $29,999 (2 of them)
Maybe I can provide a point of reference as a I spent the better part of Oct through Dec looking at MKII's. C2s and 4s. Coupes and Cabs.

Ended up with a 2002 C2 with about 31K miles, full service records, consistently driven about 3K miles per year by single owner, virtually no cosmetic flaws on interior/exterior, new rubber and brakes, IMS and RMS installed at local Indy by seller as part of the deal along with new filters and oil change, no mods. Paid $35,000 which I felt was acceptable deal considering all factors. Others may have different opinion on my purchase but in the end its the value that a given buyer sees in a car rather than what a seller believes the value to be. In other words as a seller you need to distance yourself from the object. Not easy to do but.....

Based on what I was seeing in the marketplace your car will be competing against very nice MKII c4 examples with considerably lower miles on the overall package that are priced anywhere between $20-40+K. Its really a matter of where you feel your vehicle fits within that range all emotions aside.

Given your statements about the condition of the vehicle IMO a list price of between $25-27 is reasonable and I would use the few easily fixable items (seat, wheel rash, IMS) as negotiating items off of that price.

As leaters101 said.....just post it and see what happens.

Good luck with the sale and your next purchase.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If anything, 912 pricing is rising for decent examples anyway. The 996s have only been heading in one direction. 912s used to be the under powered, affordable, Porsche, that few thought were the better choice than a 911. Now they're coming back and prices are rising. Unless your 996 is a GT3,Turbo, or GT2 we may level off price wise, but it'll be sometime before interest causes higher pricing.

Quick Reply: The hardest part of owning a porsche is...