996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New to me 02 seal grey cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 PM
ArniO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride - Congrats! What's a "dimming mirror with the homelink"?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be the rear view mirror that dims when bright headlights shine in them.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 PM
tdurden032
Advanced

Congrats on the purchase - looks like a beauty!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 PM
dallison28
Pro

Thanks, i got the new top on, new tires, wheelwell liners and a new alpine single din.

Next year i work on a stereo.

Once we finally get a nice day, i'll take much better pics.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:37 PM
dallison28
Pro

It's a much nicer day.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice looking car. And clean!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome!

Nice to see someone so enthusiastic about their car. I had a silver 996 Cab for 7 years and loved it. I also have a '99 Boxster that's my wife's fair weather toy.

You'll love the 996 coming from the Boxster. Not selling the Boxster short in any way, just nice to have a little storage area in the cabin, more leg and head room too. And the best is the 911 rear weight biased handling.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM
dallison28
Pro

thanks all. I wasn't sure if i would like this more than the boxster but i really do. I liked the sound of the boxster once it went above 3500rpm but i'm really enjoying the hell out of this car.

You are right about the space, we can fit a lot more in here behind the seats. This seems to be a bit more solid car but i still would possibly buy another boxster.

I was thinking of adding a sub and amp but i don't really know if i want to do that. I like hearing the motor and exhaust.

I think i might have to replace the plugs soon, it seems a little sluggish, but that could be the drive by wire. I would assume the coil packs will be fine for now. It still goes like you stuck a lit firecracker in its ***.

I cleaned the motor the other day and it seems to be more sluggish now or that's just my imagination. There aren't any codes but i'll keep an eye on it. I don't know when the plugs were last changed and were coming up on 90k.

I bought this car to drive, though it might not get driven much in the rain and there's a very small chance it'll get driven in the snow.

My thoughts are to drive this thing for as long as i can and get another later down the road. I think mrs dallison28 would like to have this one.

Originally Posted by nick49
Welcome!

Nice to see someone so enthusiastic about their car. I had a silver 996 Cab for 7 years and loved it. I also have a '99 Boxster that's my wife's fair weather toy.

You'll love the 996 coming from the Boxster. Not selling the Boxster short in any way, just nice to have a little storage area in the cabin, more leg and head room too. And the best is the 911 rear weight biased handling.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 PM
dallison28
Pro

I think i like the my02 wheels and they are easier to clean.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!

-Eric
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Your cab looks great, dirty and clean. Thanks for the pics.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM
dallison28
Pro

I notice how particular this car is with oil levels.

I changed the oil the other day and was adding 1/2 qt at a time and i must have added 1/4 too much, but didn't think much about it since there are 9+ in there.

I took it for a ride and opened it up on a 12-15% and i got a good amount of smoke out of it going up the hill at full throttle. It was warmed up nicely but i think that little bit that it was over may have burned off and gave me the smoke.

The other time i had smoke was when i jacked up the right side of the car pretty high for whatever reason and then had smoke on start up a couple times and then it went away.

It's as if some oil in each instance spilled like when you lean a cup over and the fluid falls out, but i could be wrong.

This car is fun, as if i had to tell you guys. I'm driving it like i stole it and that's what it's for.

I just need to get the ***** to drive it in the rain, except for those damn wheels that are so hard to clean.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:27 PM
dallison28
Pro

I changed the oil the other week and i had it filled to the top of the upper part of the dipstick. When i floored it going up a steep hill, it smoked pretty good. Once i drained a half a quart or so, it stopped.

But i may have jinxed the wife and i ..........................

Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 PM
ArniO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoyed the pictures. I laughed when I saw the one with the top partially deployed. After I got my car, I video taped the opening and closing - there are lots of things going on back there in transition.

Arni
Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 PM
dallison28
Pro

Originally Posted by ArniO
Enjoyed the pictures. I laughed when I saw the one with the top partially deployed. After I got my car, I video taped the opening and closing - there are lots of things going on back there in transition.

Arni
you got that right, it's a work of art.

So far so good. This car has been kind to us. we always enjoyed taking the boxster to the ice cream shop and missed that until we got this car. We sit in the parking lot with the top down in the evening enjoying our ice cream.

It doesn't have a ton of power but it does get to 140 in less than a 1/2 mile.

We took it to vermont in July and it was good and bad. The bad was that the roads were a bit more rough than i had remembered, and we had to really plan out what to take and bring back.

The good was that we got to drive around with the top down most of the time. The seats were so much more comfortable than the tsx. And i stress much more. My butt normally hurts for a day after the ride up, but not this time.

We managed good mileage that was around 24-27, Even with Mrs. Dallison's lead foot.

I have some things that i need to do this winter with the maintenance, but nothing major.

Everyone should own a fun car at least once in their lives, and we're enjoying this.

I still don't like the wheels and want to get some my02's. These are real hard to clean and we'll have to see where i can pick up a new set.

Quick Reply: New to me 02 seal grey cab