Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fluid Smell

Sorry for another newbie question or two. Changing my transmission fluid today. Let it drain for about an hour and the garage door was shut. I came out and was blasted with a delicious mesquite smoked/burning smell with a tinge of metal mixed in there. Is the smoked burning smell normal?

Also, when I run it the first time after the refill, is there anything I need to do, or a break in period before I kick up the rpm?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Normal. Gear oil frickin stinks!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Manual transmission oil makes me gag. Horrible smelling.

No break in or special action required after a transmission fluid change. You just have to be sure you refilled the transmission with the right amount and type of fluid and the drain and refill plugs are properly installed and torqued down correctly.

Then you just drive the car. 'course as before the fluid change so it should be after and that is you do not hurry the shifts when the transmission is cold but let the shifter resistance be your guide as to how fast you can shift.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve, your becoming a great DIY'er. Way to go.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell us how you like the Motul Gear 300 75W-90... Looks like comparable performance as OEM recommended...
Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe a little late now but have you checked the magnet behind the drain plug?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Maybe a little late now but have you checked the magnet behind the drain plug?
I checked the drain plug itself but is there another magnet? If so, yes, too late. The drain plug looked pretty good.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve's MLC
I checked the drain plug itself but is there another magnet? If so, yes, too late. The drain plug looked pretty good.
The magnet is not on the drain plug, it's right next to the drain hole inside the tranmission case (toward the rear of the car if I remember right). You have to use your pinky to reach it to check for sludge...well next time then. I change mine almost ~20k miles with OE fluid. Always even smoother shifting afterwards.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Manual transmission oil makes me gag. Horrible smelling.
+1. Love the smell of tires, gas and paint... can't stand gear/transmission oil.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
No break in or special action required after a transmission fluid change. You just have to be sure you refilled the transmission with the right amount and type of fluid and the drain and refill plugs are properly installed and torqued down correctly.

Then you just drive the car. 'course as before the fluid change so it should be after and that is you do not hurry the shifts when the transmission is cold but let the shifter resistance be your guide as to how fast you can shift.
Thanks Macster. Thorough as always.

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Steve, your becoming a great DIY'er. Way to go.
Thanks for the support! If this keeps up, I may tackle the engine in a year or two. Next up in the next 1-2 weeks are the spark plugs. Prepare for another newbie post.

Originally Posted by Viper6
Tell us how you like the Motul Gear 300 75W-90... Looks like comparable performance as OEM recommended...
I got the Motul Gear Competition 75W 140. I can definitely tell a difference in the smoothness/ease of the shifting, but I concede that may just be due to the oil being new. Another peace of mind item for that coming April DE date.

It may be a while before I change the tranny fluid again, but I broke 2 of the local auto store's pumps getting in 3 liters. If anyone has a link to a nice durable pump or siphon to get the fluid in there, I would appreciate it.

After 3 DIY's that garage lift is pushing it's way to the top of my Geekin My Garage list.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Smell