996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has YOUR car suffered an IMS failure
Yes, the IMS failed
8.67%
No issues with IMS
91.33%
Voters: 1591. You may not vote on this poll

IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
Good plan for peace of mind, though your car may have the dual bearing original IMS which has proven to be quite durable. Which replacement bearing are you planning? IMS replacement or The Solution?
I think this was directed at me? Eventually I will do a replacement. "The solution" isn't practical for me as the nearest shop is around 375 miles from me. I plan to drive it for a bit and feel pretty good about it given it should have dual row IMSB (12/99 build date). Once it gets time for some maintenance will get new seats, bearing, and whatever else.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:36 PM
gibson8687
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had posted prior regarding my 2000 996 Carrera and the fact I had no issues but I was living/driving in Europe where the IMS does not seem to be as big a problem. Upon my return to the U.S. and now having to drive extremely slow (in comparison) I began to think of the IMS. Subsequently, at 108,000+ I decided to have it replaced. There was no indication of failure but I am still convinced the driving habits/conditions in the U.S. contributes to the failures.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:13 PM
dspcole
Rennlist Member

OK, I've done some research and the shop I use (in Gardiner) is certified for "The Solution" so I suspect that is what they will recommend. Since I'm at 71000 miles and have the Tiptronic I'll ask them about other options and we'll see what they say.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:15 PM
dspcole
Rennlist Member

Also, I believe we are not supposed to be having a discussion on this thread, but I'm new, so what do I know?
Old 01-17-2017, 04:50 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by dspcole
Also, I believe we are not supposed to be having a discussion on this thread, but I'm new, so what do I know?
Keep us posted!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new to me 02 has original IMS. 110,000 miles now. In the maintenance records there was reference to replacing IMS Seals? Nothing on IMS itself.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:31 PM
Tovasco
5th Gear

2000 C4 Cabriolet. For peace of mind I had mine replaced last year at 100,000Km by Flat 06 in Cagnes sur Mer. The cost for the replacement with a ceramic bearing, new RMS and oil and filter change was 1800 euros and I had the car back the same evening. I cut the old bearing open. It was dry with just granulated lube/carbon remaining. Wear was appearing, probably no more than another 4 or 5,000Km and BANG! I really feel that I dodged a bullet there. Some posters here seem to be pinning their hopes on double row bearings... take a look at mine.

Last edited by Tovasco; 01-18-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:57 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, I've done some research and the shop I use (in Gardiner) is certified for "The Solution" so I suspect that is what they will recommend. Since I'm at 71000 miles and have the Tiptronic I'll ask them about other options and we'll see what they say.
Hey - I did a similar path to you. Bought a C2 with 71k miles and had a certified shop install the solution. It's understood that 71k miles is a little long in the tooth to pay for the IMSS but my plan is to drive this car a lot of miles out west & enjoy it until a rebuild is needed. Now at 81k miles and she purrs as a healthy m96 should

GL with your adventure-
Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Tovasco
2000 C4 Cabriolet. For peace of mind I had mine replaced last year at 100,000Km by Flat 06 in Cagnes sur Mer. The cost for the replacement with a ceramic bearing, new RMS and oil and filter change was 1800 euros and I had the car back the same evening. I cut the old bearing open. It was dry with just granulated lube/carbon remaining. Wear was appearing, probably no more than another 4 or 5,000Km and BANG! I really feel that I dodged a bullet there. Some posters here seem to be pinning their hopes on double row bearings... take a look at mine.
Yes, that does indeed look like it was not going to last much longer...
Old 01-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Anestheticg
Racer

looks like I'll have to reconsider getting the bearing swapped
Old 01-22-2017, 07:26 PM
cliveballard
Track Day

2002 996 targa 102k miles only ever been serviced
Old 01-23-2017, 02:52 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible to take more detailed photos of the races and *****? I'm certainly seeing discoloration from the oil but I'm not seeing any spalling or anything.. but to be fair my monitor on my tablet sucks.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Tovasco
5th Gear

I am sorry, I threw the bearing out, this is the best photo of the race that I have. The black specs you can see in the original photo are remains of the lube, nothing resembling grease remained. The inside of the seals are covered in that muck. You can see a piece of the bearing cage is missing. Many of the ***** were slightly pitted as were the races. The bearing was completely dry with no sign of crankcase oil ingress. It would not have lasted much longer.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I am sorry, I threw the bearing out, this is the best photo of the race that I have. The black specs you can see in the original photo are remains of the lube, nothing resembling grease remained. The inside of the seals are covered in that muck. You can see a piece of the bearing cage is missing. Many of the ***** were slightly pitted as were the races. The bearing was completely dry with no sign of crankcase oil ingress. It would not have lasted much longer.

Classic photos of a dual row IMSB. If this one would have been a single row bearing, it would have completely failed. This bearing is at stage 3 failure, and the single row pretty much skips that stage and goes straight to stage 4, which is the end of the line.

I see corrosive wear in this one, for sure... It must have had some long oil service intervals sometime in it's life.

Looks like it was barely caught in time, BUT you still need to ensure that the oil system isn't debris laden. Employ a spin on filter, with filter mag, magnetic drain plug, and a few very short oil service intervals, backed up with used oil analysis to see how much iron remains in the engine.

This one would be a tough call for me if a Certified Installer was doing the work. I'd likely down the job, and DQ it, but I'd need to see the parts and an oil sample first before making that call.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Anestheticg
Racer

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
I think this was directed at me? Eventually I will do a replacement. "The solution" isn't practical for me as the nearest shop is around 375 miles from me. I plan to drive it for a bit and feel pretty good about it given it should have dual row IMSB (12/99 build date). Once it gets time for some maintenance will get new seats, bearing, and whatever else.
car is in the shop for IMS. Around $2500 (tiptronic). Going to get the AOS done along with whatever else (coils, belts, etc) and new tires. Going to get a LN bearing. Even though the car has 378xx miles given it hasn't been driven much in 17 years I didn't want to risk engine failure and what would be a loss of the car (doesn't make sense to get a new engine or engine swap). Hopefully after this wallet hit she's good to go to be driven hard for a bit. Looking forward to getting her out in limerock park for some DE come spring/summer

Quick Reply: IMS bearing failure for your 996, Y or N? tell us (yr, 996 Mk1 or MK2 failure mode)