Sponsored by:

Motor Mount DIY Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DK570
That looks like the isolator that goes between the vehicle and the bottom of the airbox.
Thanks! I found it's home.

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Regarding the high engine position, did you confirm the mounts were fully seated before you started tightening things? If I recall correctly they have a square fitting in the bottom that needs to be seated in the correct orientation.

S.
I'm pretty sure it's seated well. I've only done one side. I've checked both sides, the length of the exposed threads at the bottom, the gaps, etc, and they look identical from what I can tell. I'll go do some measurements.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve, this my old mount compared to new. See the difference? Thats why the engine is "higher".

Last edited by KrazyK; 11-20-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Krazy, how close is the top of your engine to the sound insulation? The line over mine is pretty much flush. It's over an inch higher than it was before. I'll give the new mount 1/2 an inch maybe when I look at my old one to the new one side by side.

I am concerned that if I do the left side, it will drop initially like the right side did, and I can't lift the engine any higher than it is to line up the mount threads with the hole.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you are, but I put a small piece of a 2x4 (i.e. wood block) on my jack when I jacked up the engine. I did it for 2 reasons, to get more reach with the jack, and to diffuse the pressure across a wider area. I didn't pay too much attention to how much higher/lower the engine was when I completed it -- I know that the mounts were seated in properly, and torqued to the proper specs. There was DEFINITELY a sagging effect in my old mounts vs. the ones I replaced it with, so that could definitely be what you are seeing.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 PM
nymart
Instructor

Steve I just did mine today. I think if you are seeing roughly the same amount of exposure at the end of the mount you are fine. It's definitely a great DIY (and I've only done a couple so far). I took it out for a spin and what a difference. Especially when sitting idle (which in NJ is way too much of the time)...no vibration at all.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Exactly as I feared, I took off the bottom bolt, and even though the engine was supported (and I used a 2X4), it dipped on that side of the engine. Now the mounting bar is too low and the threads of the mount are too high for me to catch the nut on the threads. The engine is as high as I can get it. The muffler on the right side is flush with the fender.

I need a way of just jacking up the left side of the engine. I only have one jack and it's supporting the engine. Any ideas?
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Use another 2x4 block on top of the one you have, and that will get you what you need. It looks like you are about a half inch or less to getting there.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

The engine won't go any higher. My jack still has plenty of height to go. In other words, adding another 2x4 would be the same as me cranking the jack twice. I'm already digging into the insulation on the top of the engine bay.

One of my neighbors will have a car jack. I just need someplace safe to jack up the left side. There is a secondary drain area on the oil pan that looks reinforced on the left side. Can I use that spot?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I wasn't getting that. You will get mixed answers, but I would say you can jack at that point momentarily (I have), and I would use a 2x4 there as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:22 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

loosen the nut on the other side so that the engine cradle can equalize height enough to start the nut.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Used another jack to lift up the side and it worked. Drove it for 50 miles, and it felt good. No Cels, which means I actually hooked up the MAF correctly. Shocking with everything else that went wrong.

20-30 minute DIY complete!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All the joy coming from the other motor mount changeout thread inspired me to buy a set of mounts for my '99 Cab 6. My car has 65k miles.

I changed them out yesterday. Fairly drama free aside from losing a rotten rubber wellnut for an air injection pump bolt, and having to reinstall the air cleaner box 3 times due to discovering a rubber mount with my tools later and then getting the MAF sensor lead lost under the airbox after all was bolted in.

Observations; The car is smoother. Although idle was not changed, nor was the cold gearbox stiff shifting improved. But it rev's so amazingly smooth. It feels like a jet turbine, I love this car!

But here is a before and after pic of the mounts. You can see how much the mount extends with time, not miles.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Nice work Steve, glad you got it worked out!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Cefalu, it's a great mod that changed my '99 quite a bit as far as idle and smoothness of ride.

Cheers,

DS
Old 01-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Glad you stuck with it! WTG!

Quick Reply: Motor Mount DIY Help