996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Motor Mount DIY Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve, just think about how much you learned from this. Bet its easy the next time you do it.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 178 Posts

Rather than start my own thread, thought I would bump this one with some pics. Just did the install today, took about 2 hours, with about 30 minutes of that running around the neighborhood looking to borrow a floor jack after mine went caput after the car was on jack stands.

Before:

Drivers side mount compare:

Passenger side mount compare:

Driver's side in:

Passenger side in:

After:

There isn't a huge visual difference in the tailpipes but even on a quick jaunt around the neighborhood I could feel the difference between the stock mounts and the RSS mounts.

Hardest part was breaking them loose from under the car.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Question. Why do people hide their license plates on photos posted on the internet?

A license plate is visible to 100% of the public when you drive your car around, but for some reason the internet is suspected to be less private than being in public? Obviously I am missing something.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cefalu
Question. Why do people hide their license plates on photos posted on the internet?

A license plate is visible to 100% of the public when you drive your car around, but for some reason the internet is suspected to be less private than being in public? Obviously I am missing something.
It's because some people think their cars look better with rags draped over the plates. Strictly a vanity thing.

I don't get it myself.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

DTMiller;
Your old mounts appeared to be in good shape, with very little rubber pull.
How do your RSS mounts compare to the old ones from a vibration standpoint? Worth it?
Martin
Old 09-24-2013, 06:39 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
DTMiller;
Your old mounts appeared to be in good shape, with very little rubber pull.
How do your RSS mounts compare to the old ones from a vibration standpoint? Worth it?
Martin
Yeah. They weren't in bad shape. I have experienced a few clunk/thumps in shifting that some thought might be motor mount related so I decided to pull the trigger and swap them out. I haven't put more than 3 miles on the car since the swap today but initial impressions are a much more solid feel to shifts and acceleration seems more direct. There is more sense of vibration with these mounts but I kind of like it. It isn't a violent shake or anything. It is more like it is a more palpable connection between the car and driver. Hard to explain.

As for covering the plate, I dunno. I always have.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:50 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Im also thinking of doing the RSS mounts soon my car is already pretty stiff from the suspension and I get a little bit of vibration on idle that I can see in my passenger seat which I don't mind. DT how stiff is your suspension? Anyone have experience with these mounts and stiffer suspension then stock?

p.s. I also don't get the idea of covered license plates...
Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996pp
Im also thinking of doing the RSS mounts soon my car is already pretty stiff from the suspension and I get a little bit of vibration on idle that I can see in my passenger seat which I don't mind. DT how stiff is your suspension? Anyone have experience with these mounts and stiffer suspension then stock?

p.s. I also don't get the idea of covered license plates...
I have stock suspension. Will probably do sport springs in the spring. Currently enjoying this for my job well done:

Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for some empirical way to measure if mine motor mounts are shot or not. Does anyone who has recently replaced stock mounts have a way to measure the stock "sag" that can be measured somehow? My passenger seat shakes at idle (such that wife mentioned it), but my car only has 14k and I did just drop the mufflers for cat back pipes, assume that change may add to the shake. I know age is a factor for rubber parts, but stock pipes looked a decent height and even before the swap.

I don't want to replace good parts that ain't broken, there's no satisfaction in it. For those who have been under there, anything you can measure for engine height off frame or other we can use to compare?

thx

Quick Reply: Motor Mount DIY Help