Sponsored by:

code reader help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default code reader help

Looking to purchase an inexpensive(under $100) diagnostic code reader that doesn't require a laptop to function. Just want to have some knowledge before going to my mechanic and would like to be able to reset the CEL light...any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought an Actron 9580 Plus on eBay for $69, a new one is $249 at Advance Auto. A few scratches but works great, updated the software on it online for free. Reads and clears most codes and gives you common fixes for the codes. Use it on all our cars/trucks (VW, Ford's, Chevy) except for the 996. I have the Durametric for it.

For simply reading the codes the generic reader is fine but it won't do all that the Durametric will,
Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd reconsider your budget. It sounds expensive, but a Durametric can save you the cost of the unit in one go to the dealer/mechanic.

I bought one and have offered its services to locals, a couple of which have taken me up on the offer. You might see if someone else has one in your area.

But I'd skip the cheapie unit and get something that is loads more useful.

My $.02.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 PM
C4911
Racer

keytohwy-

I am not planning on doing any work/repair needed. Durametric( or anything else more sophisticated) is overkill for my purposes. Not that it matters but looks like a laptop is needed for some code readers-I don't own a laptop. My need is just to give me some information so when I have to go to my mechanic I have an idea what to expect. I'd also like to be able to clear the CEL light. Looking for an decent, entry level diagnostic tool. Basically what I said originally.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reader

I got his one on Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Can't go wrong for $20 ... used it on my daughter's BMW 325i - first time got CEL for fuel cap - reset light - second time diagnosed leak in Smog Pump circuit - cost me $0.59 to fix and probably saved $200+ at dealer. ALso used on friend's S-Type Jag - diagnosed TPS issue. Fortunately I have not had to use on the 911 yet !
Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

I got an Actron CP9125 OBDII code reader at Advanced Auto Parts for $54. I use it all the time to check/clear the CEL on both my Porsche and Mini Cooper. I also have the Durametric software on my laptop for more serious work. The CEL pops up on the Porsche because of the SAI, and the Mini gets a reset for EVAP, but I solved that problem with a new gas cap. It is simple, easy and works great...takes about 15 seconds to read the code and erase...no more CEL. Highly recommend keeping track of which code it reads before erasing.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be hesitant buying something that cheap as well, even if you only want to read codes. little OBD scanners like that are not necessarily compatible with all manufacturers. I don't know about the one you were looking at in particular but make sure it is Porsche Compatible. Also some cheap chinese code readers will misread codes (I dont know why but it does happen and there is lots of complaints about i on google) Lastly 90% of OBD2 code readers will only read the PCM they wont read other control modules, aka your ABS light goes on, it wont tell you anything, Airbag light is on, again wont tell you anything. a code reader is basically good for emissions and EVAP codes.

Even only being able to read Emissions or EVAP codes it wont tell you much besides the stored code. with a decent scanner it will be able to monitor sensor performance while the car is running, not just give you a stored code. Say you get an O2 sensor code, what is bad? The O2 sensor? the cat? or are you running pig rich for some other reason? with a scanner you can measure O2 sensor performance and tell which ones are functioning how they are reading etc making it easier to eliminate other options.

In my shop we have 1 Innova code reader which is alright for quick code clearing and identification, but always miscommunicates with my P-car, also wont show soft codes. we have the Launch X-431 Daigun scanner, Which I would suggest over anything else for you. I can be had for well under $3000, even sub $2000 if you look online, it scans most european cars including porsche (36 models to be exact) it has wireless bluetooth communication between the OBDport in the car and the actual tool so I can be sitting at my desk on a computer while scanning my car that is in the shop a couple hundred yards away. it is pretty user friendly, and in general a great tool for the price, my only complaint about it is that it can be slow to use. We have durametic as well in the shop which is a great program, and fairly close to the dealer equipment but it is cumbersome having to use a laptop (atleast we get use out of the laptop since we also have vagcom and other factory scan programs on it) and it is brand specific aka you can only scan Porsches with it, so screw your other cars if this is you only tool. Lastly we Have a Verus Pro which at the $12,000 it cost us is hard to justify for even a shop. but it is really the ultimate diagnostic tool, it is a vin specific scan tool with wireless capabilities that will not only give you codes but also go into a step by step process for diagnosing the problem, it is also doubles as a cylliscope and other diagnosing tools. problem is it does not have Porsche coverage, so only gives engine codes.

So summary, if you want cheap get OBD2 code reader, but be prepared for basic PCM code reading, and sometimes inaccurate. For best scanning go Durametic, but only if you only plan to use in on your P-Car and is quite cumbersome. For portability, versatility and overall the best compromise imo go for the Launch x-431 daigun.

Launch x431 Daigun Launch x431 Daigun
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

If you own an Android smartphone, you can get a cheap OBDII bluetooth scanner ($15) and the Torque app ($5). Best bang for the buck. It displayed real-time data and can reset OBDII codes.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I paid around $39 for a code reader from Harbor Freight tools. It won't clear the air bag code, but otherwise works great on all OBD2 cars.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM
C4911
Racer

Thanks guys...people always helpful here. Joining this website was money well spent.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My cheap scanner has saved me a few trips to the shop. If I can't figure out the problem with that - then I would want to come to a shop with equipment like yours to figure out and fix the problem - but I think the OP was looking for the $25 model - not $3K one - but point taken - the cheapo ones have many limitations - but a good start for a DIY owner ....

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
I would be hesitant buying something that cheap as well, even if you only want to read codes. little OBD scanners like that are not necessarily compatible with all manufacturers. I don't know about the one you were looking at in particular but make sure it is Porsche Compatible. Also some cheap chinese code readers will misread codes (I dont know why but it does happen and there is lots of complaints about i on google) Lastly 90% of OBD2 code readers will only read the PCM they wont read other control modules, aka your ABS light goes on, it wont tell you anything, Airbag light is on, again wont tell you anything. a code reader is basically good for emissions and EVAP codes.

Even only being able to read Emissions or EVAP codes it wont tell you much besides the stored code. with a decent scanner it will be able to monitor sensor performance while the car is running, not just give you a stored code. Say you get an O2 sensor code, what is bad? The O2 sensor? the cat? or are you running pig rich for some other reason? with a scanner you can measure O2 sensor performance and tell which ones are functioning how they are reading etc making it easier to eliminate other options.

In my shop we have 1 Innova code reader which is alright for quick code clearing and identification, but always miscommunicates with my P-car, also wont show soft codes. we have the Launch X-431 Daigun scanner, Which I would suggest over anything else for you. I can be had for well under $3000, even sub $2000 if you look online, it scans most european cars including porsche (36 models to be exact) it has wireless bluetooth communication between the OBDport in the car and the actual tool so I can be sitting at my desk on a computer while scanning my car that is in the shop a couple hundred yards away. it is pretty user friendly, and in general a great tool for the price, my only complaint about it is that it can be slow to use. We have durametic as well in the shop which is a great program, and fairly close to the dealer equipment but it is cumbersome having to use a laptop (atleast we get use out of the laptop since we also have vagcom and other factory scan programs on it) and it is brand specific aka you can only scan Porsches with it, so screw your other cars if this is you only tool. Lastly we Have a Verus Pro which at the $12,000 it cost us is hard to justify for even a shop. but it is really the ultimate diagnostic tool, it is a vin specific scan tool with wireless capabilities that will not only give you codes but also go into a step by step process for diagnosing the problem, it is also doubles as a cylliscope and other diagnosing tools. problem is it does not have Porsche coverage, so only gives engine codes.

So summary, if you want cheap get OBD2 code reader, but be prepared for basic PCM code reading, and sometimes inaccurate. For best scanning go Durametic, but only if you only plan to use in on your P-Car and is quite cumbersome. For portability, versatility and overall the best compromise imo go for the Launch x-431 daigun.

Launch x431 Daigun
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use a Kiwi Wifi with my Iphone. Works great! I keep it in the car and the other day on the way home from the track I got a CEL. While sitting at a red light, I plugged it in, opened the app on my phone, and read the code without ever having to pull over.

I also have a Durametric which is much better for diagnostics. The Kiwi is great for just reading codes or getting a bit of info quickly.

Quick Reply: code reader help