996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rolex 24hr at Daytona anyone going?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rolex 24hr at Daytona anyone going?

Rolex 24hr at Daytona anyone going?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I will be heading over for a bit. I will be stuck in Orlando at a conference but will may get the "flu" for a few hours and swing by. Wish I could spend all day.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

My wife and I have our 4 day tickets and Porsche paddock pass. We love the thrill and excitement, from the garage areas to the race track. We hang out at the west infield horseshoe bend with our chairs and cooler. We are really looking forward to four days of racing fun and fellow Porsche owners!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

I'm heading up Friday from Miami. I picked up 4 day Brumos Porsche Brigade tickets again this year and will be parking at the PCA Porsche Corral again.

Looking forward to seein the new 991 cup cars.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Scats
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be flying in. Along with my actual work responsibilities, I manage my company's motorsports sponsorships. We currently are a small sponsor of 2 IndyCar drivers and 1 of them is driving in the 24 hours.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
My wife and I have our 4 day tickets and Porsche paddock pass.
A word of WARNING!
Without those exact two items purchased by DBJoe996, you WILL NOT be parking in the Porsche Paddock on FRIDAY, SATURDAY, or SUNDAY. The old days of just showing up very early before the Porsche Paddock in the infield fills up ARE OVER. And yes that includes FRIDAY.

The PCA Porsche Paddock is limited to 200 cars this year. PORSCHES ONLY! No exceptions (except the support vehicle bringing the drinks and snacks). Those 200 cars will ONLY be the ones who have purchased the Porsche Paddock Parking Pass, and it is only available if you purchase the 4-day ticket. Without BOTH, you can still park in the infield (if you can get in at all) but you won't park in the PCA paddock.

No more, "I'm a PCA member, and this is a Porsche!"

No tickey, no parkey.

I didn't make the rules. I'm just letting you know what they are in advance of your arrivals.
You can expect the same rules for Sebring in March. In fact, this very process has been in place at Sebring for three years, now.

Last edited by Thundertub; 01-15-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Well. then I hope my 3 day Brumos Porsche Booster Brigade w/ paddock parking and Porsche's paddock parking are the same otherwise i won't be at Porsche Corral, LOL.

Why the change? Isn't the point of a Porsche Corral to well corral Porsche's, LOL.

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Hey MiamiC70 - with our ticket package came a separate numbered Porsche Corral parking pass to hang from the mirror. I had to specifically ask for it from the ticket counter.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Argh....
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

MiamiC70,
The issue is simple and yet complex. PCA was allotted the usual space that they have occupied for over two decades. There is room for no more than 200 Porsches to park in that space. It used to be less cars, but Space Coast Region and Florida Citrus Region, who host on Saturday, did some scientific parking re-engineering design to get that many in.

The Friday crowd (hosted by Florida Crown Region) has increased dramatically over the past few years as everyone finally figured out that it was the best day to get in and see everything and everyone.

The Saturday crowd has always overwhelmed the Porsche Paddock before 10:00 AM.
The last couple years, Daytona has closed the entrance to the infield by noon because by their count the field was full - even if you had a pefectly good pre-purchased infield pass.
If you came early Saturday, then later drove outside the gate for any reason, you could not get back in because the Daytona security folks did not have any plan for re-entry during the same day. And if you did get back in, there was nowhere left to park, even in the PCA Porsche Paddock.

So PCA decided to sell 200 Paddock Passes that allowed those folks entry regardless of which day and what time they arrived. In order to sell them through the normal Daytona ticket office, Daytona decided to require the 4-day pass as a minimum, and then sell the infield parking pass separately (which is what they do anyway and have for 40+ years). In order to get a PCA Paddock Parking Pass, the Daytona folks required their 4-day ticket.

As one who has had to stand many times at the entrance of the PCA Paddock and listen to 100+ more Porsche owners scream in anger at me because there was no more room for them, but that they should be let in anyway because they were PCA members, ... well, I applaud this new move by PCA National.

If you do get into the infield on any given day, you can park anywhere else you find, and come to the PCA hospitality tent and cool off, or warm up, with a fresh soft drink or water and a snack. We also plan to have several guest speakers throughout the weekend.

Your Brumos Boosters Brigade ticket allows you to enjoy their Start/Finish Line luxury suites for the entire weekend, which includes inside or outside seating, free food and drink, live telecast, Brumos Goodie Store, and the chance to meet some very interesting people. They also provide a Brumos shuttle from the suites to the infield and PCA hosting tent.

However, Brumos and PCA are separate entities.

Last edited by Thundertub; 01-15-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Which is why I get them

Originally Posted by Thundertub
MiamiC70,
The issue is simple and yet complex. PCA was allotted the usual space that they have occupied for over two decades. There is room for no more than 200 Porsches to park in that space. It used to be less cars, but Space Coast Region and Florida Citrus Region, who host on Saturday, did some scientific parking re-engineering design to get that many in.

The Friday crowd (hosted by Florida Crown Region) has increased dramatically over the past few years as everyone finally figured out that it was the best day to get in and see everything and everyone.

The Saturday crowd has always overwhelmed the Porsche Paddock before 10:00 AM.

The last couple years, Daytona has closed the entrance to the infield by noon because by their count the field was full - even if you had a pefectly good pre-purchased infield pass.
If you came early Saturday, then later drove outside the gate for any reason, you could not get back in because the Daytona security folks did not have any plan for re-entry during the same day. And if you did get back in, there was nowhere left to park, even in the PCA Porsche Paddock.

So PCA decided to sell 200 Paddock Passes that allowed those folks entry regardless of which day and what time they arrived. In order to sell them through the normal Daytona ticket office, Daytona decided to require the 4-day pass as a minimum, and then sell the infield parking pass separately (which is what they do anyway and have for 40+ years). In order to get a PCA Paddock Parking Pass, the Daytona folks required their 4-day ticket.

As one who has had to stand many times at the entrance of the PCA Paddock and listen to 100+ more Porsche owners scream in anger at me because there was no more room for them, but that they should be let in anyway because they were PCA members, ... well, I applaud this new move by PCA National.
  • Solution seems easy all those bitching should just get up and get there early which is what I did

If you do get into the infield on any given day, you can park anywhere else you find, and come to the PCA hospitality tent and cool off, or warm up, with a fresh soft drink or water and a snack. We also plan to have several guest speakers throughout the weekend.
  • Yep, did that last year but nice to park in Porsche Corral as was just down the way from there.

Your Brumos Boosters Brigade ticket allows you to enjoy their Start/Finish Line luxury suites for the entire weekend, which includes inside or outside seating, free food and drink, live telecast, Brumos Goodie Store, and the chance to meet some very interesting people. They also provide a Brumos shuttle from the suites to the infield and PCA hosting tent.
  • Which is why I get them instead

However, Brumos and PCA are separate entities.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 PM
matthewbounds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be there but not in my Pcar. I am working for VWoA and will be in their coral.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Looking forward to seein the new 991 cup cars.

Is this true? I was under the impression that the cars this year would still be the 997 Cup cars...I thought the 991 Cup cars would not be ready until later this year, or possibly even next year.

I was hoping to make it down for the 24 this year(I attended last years 50th anniversary race and had a blast), unfortunately I cannot make it this year.

Cheers to everyone that is going and don't forget to POST SOME PICS of the race...
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Hmm, so I won't be parking in the corral and I won't be seeing 991 cup cars. WTF and I going again?

I think I am renting a Yaris to drive up there
Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Hmm, so I won't be parking in the corral and I won't be seeing 991 cup cars. WTF and I going again?

I think I am renting a Yaris to drive up there
I bet you'll still have a great time.

In the "Roar Before the 24" two weeks ago, 997 Cup car teams set the 3 fastest times of the weekend in the GT class. The other teams may have been sandbagging a bit but my money is on the 997 to win the 24. I'll be pulling for Brumos but I would not mind seeing a Magnus repeat...

Quick Reply: Rolex 24hr at Daytona anyone going?