Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

I used Lucas gear oil with LSD additive in it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTgears
Here's why your tech is telling you your LSD is toast:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sd-buster.html

The 2004 996 Anniversary vehicles got the same LSD as the 2004 GT3s, so they actually have decent ramps in them. All you need to do to make it a fully functional LSD is reclutch it...
Well I was freakin excited to find out I have a GT3 LSD. That lasted about 5 minutes until I read that thread. lol.

The big let down about that thread is when Bernie says there's a big difference in the gear oil you use, and then didn't say which ones were good.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Off topic but I used a Quaife in my previous car with great results.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:17 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Come on Matt, you can do better than that. Talk oil....
John,
You should know by now that I don't make gear oil recommendations. There are 2 dozen good gear oils out there with very little performance or protection difference from one oil to the other.

I have two standard comments on gear oil. The best gear oil is the one that you change frequently, and I mean way way more frequently than Porsche's ridiculous service intervals.

Number two is there is only one oil that I tell people to never ever use, that is Redline Shockproof. The stuff was made for rear ends. That's the only thing it is good for. Don't put it into a transaxle where you've got gears and synchros in addition to a ring and pinion.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^^ Excellent info, Thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
John,
You should know by now that I don't make gear oil recommendations. There are 2 dozen good gear oils out there with very little performance or protection difference from one oil to the other.

I have two standard comments on gear oil. The best gear oil is the one that you change frequently, and I mean way way more frequently than Porsche's ridiculous service intervals.

Number two is there is only one oil that I tell people to never ever use, that is Redline Shockproof. The stuff was made for rear ends. That's the only thing it is good for. Don't put it into a transaxle where you've got gears and synchros in addition to a ring and pinion.
My work here is done....
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
I can say from personal experience;

1) Do not use Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear due to inability to engage gears without double clutching while cold and very notchy shifting when hot (and based on their lack of customer support, I will avoid them altogether going forward for all my cars and bikes, as will my bud), and

2) Do not bother with OTC Mobil1 75W-90 (much better than #1, but not OEM balanced feel with still some clunking between gears in lower revs that OEM fluid did not display).

I am now loading my 3rd and last aftermarket try with this before I surrender to OEM fluid fill (Mobilube PTX I believe). Based on GT3 owner bud recommendation and other research I will use Mobil Delvac 75W-90:

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants

no association, just where I bought it from (although head tech took 15 minutes to talk me through lots of P-car questions and share his knowledge... clearly an enthusiast and teacher so it was easy decision to patronize them!):

I'll report back with my findings so anyone can learn from my 3 experiments.

note: Tech I talked to stated the LSD in my 40th is likely to have turned into an open diff after 10k miles with aggressive driving since clutch packs are known to be high wear items in the P-car LSD... take it for what it's worth.
OK, happy to report that 3rd times a charm and Delvac the trick... OEM feel finally back in my car!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to hear Viper. I have Motul on the way, and will report back. If it doesn't perform well I will try the Delvac.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

2) Do not bother with OTC Mobil1 75W-90 (much better than #1, but not OEM balanced feel with still some clunking between gears in lower revs that OEM fluid did not display).

I am now loading my 3rd and last aftermarket try with this before I surrender to OEM fluid fill (Mobilube PTX I believe). Based on GT3 owner bud recommendation and other research I will use Mobil Delvac 75W-90:
Viper, do you really feel this much difference bewteen these two? Mine only feels a little odd when cold. If your sure, I think I will order some too. I love to drain the fluids in my car and examine them. Im thinking about running a pipeline from the refinery to my shop.

I used Lucas gear oil with LSD additive in it.

Imre, my Dad loves this stuff for his tractors and equipment. What is your thoughts on it?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Viper6
Racer

[QUOTE=KrazyK;10167218]Viper, do you really feel this much difference bewteen these two? Mine only feels a little odd when cold. If your sure, I think I will order some too. I love to drain the fluids in my car and examine them. Im thinking about running a pipeline from the refinery to my shop.

Ha, that pipeline will cut back on cost per fill. I am so pleased that I bought an extra gallon (ok I bought two at the same time hoping it was the one, but now I'm glad I did). I will say that I remember draining the OEM fluid and it had a unique pine tree smell and greenish tinge, both beyond standard GL5... the Delvac had this same smell and tinge going in when the others did not. I know its anecdotal, but I trust my nose and that corroborated what the Tech told me... this is the Mobilube PTX OEM fill rebranded/rebottled. I'm inclined to believe it now.

The most important thing is the stock performance is back as I remember... very decent shifting when cold and slick notch-free shifting when warm... I've now stopped kicking myself for dumping the OEM fill early... ha.

The difference between Delvac and the others is night and day, definitely go with the Delvac...Good luck!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

All lubricants are sorted by Viscosity Index from highest to lowest.
Lubricants #: 2 & 3 in grey are Porsche approved.
All data except Viscosity at 0*C came from lubricant respective published data sheets.

All viscosities at 0*C were calculated using Mr. Widman’s chart and should be considered as approximate as most lubricants do not behave as Newtonian fluids.
Many thanks to Richard Widman.
http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Graph.html

Mobilube PTX had viscosity at 0*C published by Mobil at 590 cSt and marked as Actual in the table above.

Below is the note from Mobilube PTX Data Sheet:

“The combination of synthetic base fluid technology and special high performance additives have been carefully formulated to meet the low temperature fluidity requirements of Porsche ( Kinematic Viscosity at 0ºC of < 600 cSt)”
Enjoy,
=L=
Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Viper6
Racer

Cool, empirical data is great! I wonder what the stats for the two other fluids I tried and significantly disliked are... Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear and OTC Mobil1 75w-90... Feel free to add these to your chart and re-publish all in one spreadsheet?

@40*C, cSt @100*C, cSt VSI @0*C, cSt
Mobil1 75W-90 99 15.2 142 937.6
Amsoil 75W-90 87.6 13.9 162 801
Amsoil 75W-90 SG 114.7 16.9 161 1135

Based on this my near freezing cold weather experience I should dislike the Delvac at least as much, if not more than the Amsoil SG... clearly there is more to it than just viscosity... seems easier to engage gears than even the Mobil 1 which has lower viscosity at comparable temps... hmm.

If I can find a P-car approved fluid for less than $40 a liter I'd try it...

Last edited by Viper6; 01-27-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Fluid?