Manual Transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Manual Transmission Fluid?

Hello expert peoples.

I did a search and I'm sure I have missed it, but the last post I could find was a few years ago so I thought I would check in.

What transmission fluid should I use? I have a garage queen that I will track 2-3 times a year

I saw references to Swepco, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Lubro moly. Cost is always a factor. Any consensus?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

It is a special trans for a special car. Use the only lubricant specially designed for it. Porsche OEM
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
It is a special trans for a special car. Use the only lubricant specially designed for it. Porsche OEM
Porsche fill is by Shell and great for street cars but not really up to the job for track environments especially if you're not running a trans cooler. Any of the manufactures lieted above will handle the heat better than Shell but if you have an LSD then you want one of the ones speciofied for LSD's as they won't have any friction modifiers added to them. You also should run the thicker oils like 75-140 especially if you're not using a cooler a they protect better. I think they're all around $25. a qt. or liter. I use LE's Synolec 9920 as does Viking who runs many P-race cars down there near you somewhere.....
Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently changed mine with Motul after my own research and experiences.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 AM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Porsche fill is by Shell and great for street cars but not really up to the job for track environments especially if you're not running a trans cooler. Any of the manufactures lieted above will handle the heat better than Shell but if you have an LSD then you want one of the ones speciofied for LSD's as they won't have any friction modifiers added to them. You also should run the thicker oils like 75-140 especially if you're not using a cooler a they protect better. I think they're all around $25. a qt. or liter. I use LE's Synolec 9920 as does Viking who runs many P-race cars down there near you somewhere.....
Thanks so much for mentioning the LSD. The 40th AE apparently has LSD whereas most 996's don't unless you have a GT2/GT3.

I found LE, and Motul looks like it is sold about 15miles from me. I will call them next week.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Steve's MLC; 01-13-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OEM for your garage queen! you'll be fine with 2-3 track sessions.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
OEM for your garage queen! you'll be fine with 2-3 track sessions.
The reality is we don't really know so why take a chance when there's better products available. He's in Texas where it gets pretty damn hot on the track in summer/fall. Why not increase your protection with a product more suited to that environment. They all cost the same (+/-)....

To OP: Look atr Redline's 75-140 too....
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
The reality is we don't really know so why take a chance when there's better products available. He's in Texas where it gets pretty damn hot on the track in summer/fall. Why not increase your protection with a product more suited to that environment. They all cost the same (+/-)....

To OP: Look atr Redline's 75-140 too....
The same can be said for taking a chance that some fluid that so far has held up in just a handful of cars for a few owners will not only hold up for a few track sessions per year for this owner but in the day to day life of a transmission.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

They all sound so good when you read about them and the reviews. I found this Motul below on Redline Speedworx website for $15/liter. I see it at $25 to $35 on other sites so may pull the trigger. Any issues with this choice?

MOTUL GEAR COMPETITION FF 75W140
100% synthetic racing lubricant based on Ester-Technology For all hypoid differentials with limited slip system, gearbox with integrated limited slip differential, mechanical transmission, synchronised or not synchronised gearboxes, transfer gearboxes
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

140W is going to be pretty thick in cold DFW this winter.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Hey Krazyk! I agree it's been chilly but I am more worried about my first DE in April. I can wait until closer to the DE to change the fluid but as you know, it could be 90 in April with our crazy weather. At $15 I would rather take the better safe than sorry approach.

I just wanted to see if anyone has used the one I picked and had positive results.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can say from personal experience;

1) Do not use Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear due to inability to engage gears without double clutching while cold and very notchy shifting when hot (and based on their lack of customer support, I will avoid them altogether going forward for all my cars and bikes, as will my bud), and

2) Do not bother with OTC Mobil1 75W-90 (much better than #1, but not OEM balanced feel with still some clunking between gears in lower revs that OEM fluid did not display).

I am now loading my 3rd and last aftermarket try with this before I surrender to OEM fluid fill (Mobilube PTX I believe). Based on GT3 owner bud recommendation and other research I will use Mobil Delvac 75W-90:

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants

no association, just where I bought it from (although head tech took 15 minutes to talk me through lots of P-car questions and share his knowledge... clearly an enthusiast and teacher so it was easy decision to patronize them!):

I'll report back with my findings so anyone can learn from my 3 experiments.

note: Tech I talked to stated the LSD in my 40th is likely to have turned into an open diff after 10k miles with aggressive driving since clutch packs are known to be high wear items in the P-car LSD... take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Viper6

note: Tech I talked to stated the LSD in my 40th is likely to have turned into an open diff after 10k miles with aggressive driving since clutch packs are known to be high wear items in the P-car LSD... take it for what it's worth.
I don't understand this statement. Is he saying the 40th transmission will lose its LSD? Is that why he recommends Delvac, since it works with both LSD and non LSD?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KrazyK
140W is going to be pretty thick in cold DFW this winter.
Whether 75-90 or 75-140 the oil acts the same when cold. The 140's pour out really easily when cold so I doubt they could possibly cause any damage. I know when I first go out in a cold AM session I don't have any shifting issues or resistance.....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 01-14-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Steve's MLC
I don't understand this statement. Is he saying the 40th transmission will lose its LSD? Is that why he recommends Delvac, since it works with both LSD and non LSD?
Street GT3 996's have this issue though I'm not sure it translates over to the G96/01 transmissions found in all 996 C2's. The issue has to due with how loosely the GT3 diffs were set up from the factory. I've never heard of that being an issue with the 996 diffs which by the way are ramped at 25/55 IIRC. I'm currently racing one with Guard clutches/spacers but the stock ramping. It works great under decel, maybe a little loose on acel but I normally race a 50/80 diff....

I personally don't like Delvac for 996 C2/4 transmissions (G96/01). It's recommended (usually by dealerships) for GT3's (G96/96) and cup cars but your transmission is different internally and not as robust. I believe Viper 6's tech was referring to a GT3 fill. The Motul you looked at is a much better product for your needs.....

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Fluid?