Sponsored by:

Advice needed: metal fragments in oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Quix
The Audi dealer gave me $21K for a trade. He wouldn't go any higher, stating that he was going to have to wholesale it. He had brought it up to the Porsche dealer (where the original finding of metal fragments was made) who felt that this was the best that they could offer given the unknowns about the motor. Would any of you have offered any more? I doubt it but let's hear it.

The various estimates for repair were as low as $3K and as high as $12K, and were from the dealer, a reliable indy and a well-known expert. I'm sure that some here will look down on me for not digging in and fixing it myself, but I really don't have the time or the desire, frankly. The car had been a sore point between me and my wife for some time, and she put up with it because she knew I loved it. When it became a possible liability, the discussion was not to drag it out but to dish it off. We have a new driver in the family and need garage space, and my trade of two cars for one new one opens up a slot.

Tomorrow I'll pick up a beautiful black on black leather 2013 Audi S4, 333hp, 7 speed "S-tronic" transmission with all the toys. It's fast and sexy and has back seats, but as you all know it's not a Porsche 911. I'm fairly sure that I'll own another 911 someday, when kids are out of the house and college is paid for.

I've really enjoyed the RL 996 community and all its quirky characters, oil threads, !/\/\$ threads, JR debates and talented DIYers. I'll continue to monitor for a while, and then will be back when the time comes. Thanks all.

Caveat emptor: VIN WP0CA299X2S651523
Sounds like you survived this better than most, congratulations! Now you can get back to focusing on your work.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Quix
The Audi dealer gave me $21K for a trade. He wouldn't go any higher, stating that he was going to have to wholesale it. He had brought it up to the Porsche dealer (where the original finding of metal fragments was made) who felt that this was the best that they could offer given the unknowns about the motor. Would any of you have offered any more? I doubt it but let's hear it.

The various estimates for repair were as low as $3K and as high as $12K, and were from the dealer, a reliable indy and a well-known expert. I'm sure that some here will look down on me for not digging in and fixing it myself, but I really don't have the time or the desire, frankly. The car had been a sore point between me and my wife for some time, and she put up with it because she knew I loved it. When it became a possible liability, the discussion was not to drag it out but to dish it off. We have a new driver in the family and need garage space, and my trade of two cars for one new one opens up a slot.

Tomorrow I'll pick up a beautiful black on black leather 2013 Audi S4, 333hp, 7 speed "S-tronic" transmission with all the toys. It's fast and sexy and has back seats, but as you all know it's not a Porsche 911. I'm fairly sure that I'll own another 911 someday, when kids are out of the house and college is paid for.

I've really enjoyed the RL 996 community and all its quirky characters, oil threads, !/\/\$ threads, JR debates and talented DIYers. I'll continue to monitor for a while, and then will be back when the time comes. Thanks all.

Caveat emptor: VIN WP0CA299X2S651523
You're doing the best thing IMHO. That is a good deal from the dealer considering the unknowns. Considering you are a surgeon and time is more valuable than money, not to mention you don't need to be getting any divorce from a material item like a car, I'd say you did the best thing. The S4 I think will suit you far better considering your circumstance with your family and parking situation. I'd take it and run frankly.

When the kids get out of school, you can then reward yourself with a nice 991 or 99X.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Cefalu
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, $32k is (unrealistically) optimistic.

I think $21k is pretty fair for a car that needs major work.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You may come out great on this deal. Congrats!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think think the dealer will fix a perfectly running '02 C4 cab in Minnesota, and then have less than $24k in it and ask $32k. Remember, his car runs fine! No bad carfax or anything, and needs minor work, for the dealer. Even if they settle for $28k they come out WAY ahead.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow $21 is a great trade in, considering the circumstances and the obvious risk of big ticket repair. I would most certainly take that money and run.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

My PM box is still empty. In the end the dealer gave me the $21K for trade then handed my 996 off to a wholesaler. I have no idea where it will end up. Maybe we'll hear about it someday on RL. It has a telltale mark left over from the first owner: someone threw an egg a the left rear, just over the wheel. If you've ever seen this before, an egg will leave a characteristic set of chips in the paint of a car. Otherwise it's just got the usual minor set of scuffs for an 11 year-old car. Sad to see it go.
Loving the new S4...

Quick Reply: Advice needed: metal fragments in oil