Sponsored by:

Advice needed: metal fragments in oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
This cannot be said enough; these cars are not really for people w/o DIY skills or warranty.
Lesson learned. It's really been more of a time thing. With two kids and a perfect wife, travelling baseball, swim meets, school events, lots of family stuff, a job that has me at the hospital 60-80 hours per week and overnight 4x/month, and a road cycling habit that takes me around 3500-4000 miles/year, I've always opted to pay someone to work on the car. The calculation is that I'll do better financially going to work. Barring catastrophic failure, of course. As a trauma surgeon, I'm not too bad at fixing stuff, it's just that car repair skills are not ones I've developed.

All in all I've really enjoyed owning the car. As quoted by the guy I bought it from, "You don't drive a Porsche, you wear it." He's right, the car is iconic and when you have one everyone defines you as the guy with a Porsche, whether you want that or not. I haven't minded paying the tax, until this last episode where the tax liability became unclear and possibly very high. Again, further details to come.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It will be an interesting outcome to see what the dealer has to say.

The value should not be very different considering they will for sure sell it to auction and they don't have to disclose anything about it. I would be really surprise that they decide to fix it to resell it themselves.

Looking forward to hear what will happen.

About the DIY thing, I'd say that I do a ton myself, but when it comes to big engine stuff, everybody is at the same level or almost. None of us can spare the time to open their engine and rebuild it, and even if you do, it will still cost you $10k in parts to rebuild it correctly without counting your time involvement which is considerable.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Quix
Lesson learned. It's really been more of a time thing. With two kids and a perfect wife, travelling baseball, swim meets, school events, lots of family stuff, a job that has me at the hospital 60-80 hours per week and overnight 4x/month, and a road cycling habit that takes me around 3500-4000 miles/year, I've always opted to pay someone to work on the car. The calculation is that I'll do better financially going to work. Barring catastrophic failure, of course. As a trauma surgeon, I'm not too bad at fixing stuff, it's just that car repair skills are not ones I've developed.

All in all I've really enjoyed owning the car. As quoted by the guy I bought it from, "You don't drive a Porsche, you wear it." He's right, the car is iconic and when you have one everyone defines you as the guy with a Porsche, whether you want that or not. I haven't minded paying the tax, until this last episode where the tax liability became unclear and possibly very high. Again, further details to come.
Sounds like you are batting about .950% which ain't bad! Now just choose between 997.2 or 991 C4 & stop keeping expense records!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
About the DIY thing, I'd say that I do a ton myself, but when it comes to big engine stuff, everybody is at the same level or almost. None of us can spare the time to open their engine and rebuild it, and even if you do, it will still cost you $10k in parts to rebuild it correctly without counting your time involvement which is considerable.
Well, I did rebuild my engine. Cost was 3k usd, not too bad?
I spend my day's in the office with computer, but still found the time to do the work... So there is some of us that can and will do the big engine stuff.

For the op's case, I say that the total catastrophy wasn't close.
People here just jumps to conclusions way too easy.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Pics of the cam covers off?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quix

There's nothing wrong with choosing not to DIY, everyone likes different things to spend their time on (I find it relaxing to work with my hands for change). With that in mind, though, you should absolutely have opted for warranty; you will hardly ever come out ahead paying out of pocket for maintenance of a high end car.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You posted you are a trauma surgeon? Nevermind, when Obama gets through with you, I think you might be able to afford a used Yugo. (joke disclaimer)
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Quix
Instructor

Originally Posted by b8_rdc
Pics of the cam covers off?
The pics were quite blurry. Let me know if you can make anything of them:
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

ouch that is super blurry.. any better shots ?
your indy need to learn about the 'macro' function ...
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Doesn't look like they even took cams out to inspect the lifters?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by speed rII
Well, I did rebuild my engine. Cost was 3k usd, not too bad?
I spend my day's in the office with computer, but still found the time to do the work... So there is some of us that can and will do the big engine stuff.

For the op's case, I say that the total catastrophy wasn't close.
People here just jumps to conclusions way too easy.
Nice work!!! I refreshed the top end, installed 6 new exhaust valves and a good used clutch set for $2000. Also replaced the RMS, AOS and the IMS bearing (hybrid but not from LN). Probably too 100hrs but it was all done 1 hour at a time in the evenings. One bolt at a time and sooner or later the project will be done. The key is to keep going, even if the pace is slow.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Nice work!!! I refreshed the top end, installed 6 new exhaust valves and a good used clutch set for $2000. Also replaced the RMS, AOS and the IMS bearing (hybrid but not from LN). Probably too 100hrs but it was all done 1 hour at a time in the evenings. One bolt at a time and sooner or later the project will be done. The key is to keep going, even if the pace is slow.
Thanks

This proof's that it's not allways 10k to get the car going again.

I have put 16k km's to my rebuilded engine, and still counting

sorry about off topic...
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Quix
Instructor

Default follow up

The Audi dealer gave me $21K for a trade. He wouldn't go any higher, stating that he was going to have to wholesale it. He had brought it up to the Porsche dealer (where the original finding of metal fragments was made) who felt that this was the best that they could offer given the unknowns about the motor. Would any of you have offered any more? I doubt it but let's hear it.

The various estimates for repair were as low as $3K and as high as $12K, and were from the dealer, a reliable indy and a well-known expert. I'm sure that some here will look down on me for not digging in and fixing it myself, but I really don't have the time or the desire, frankly. The car had been a sore point between me and my wife for some time, and she put up with it because she knew I loved it. When it became a possible liability, the discussion was not to drag it out but to dish it off. We have a new driver in the family and need garage space, and my trade of two cars for one new one opens up a slot.

Tomorrow I'll pick up a beautiful black on black leather 2013 Audi S4, 333hp, 7 speed "S-tronic" transmission with all the toys. It's fast and sexy and has back seats, but as you all know it's not a Porsche 911. I'm fairly sure that I'll own another 911 someday, when kids are out of the house and college is paid for.

I've really enjoyed the RL 996 community and all its quirky characters, oil threads, !/\/\$ threads, JR debates and talented DIYers. I'll continue to monitor for a while, and then will be back when the time comes. Thanks all.

Caveat emptor: VIN WP0CA299X2S651523
Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So the dealer will fix it for less than $3k, their price, and take full advantage of all the work and new tires, etc you put in to it, and then resell it for $32k. Nice tidy profit. Wish I had the time and cash to fool with that, I would have done the same thing. Maybe soemone here will make a counter. I fully understand your position, though. Have fun with the S4.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Quix
Instructor

Originally Posted by perryinva
So the dealer will fix it for less than $3k, their price, and take full advantage of all the work and new tires, etc you put in to it, and then resell it for $32k. Nice tidy profit. Wish I had the time and cash to fool with that, I would have done the same thing. Maybe soemone here will make a counter. I fully understand your position, though. Have fun with the S4.
All offers entertained! PM me if you're serious. If it's that easy the offers should be rolling in!

Quick Reply: Advice needed: metal fragments in oil