996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Trans/diff/xfer fluid intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine at 72 kilometerers but my motor has half that... so I'm not sure if the fluid was changed with the new engine but regardless, I didn't notice any difference.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Oil/fluid is cheap compared to new parts!
You should probably change all fluids every time you drive it, because, you know, it's cheaper than buying new everything. Start with idiotic premise, arrive at idiotic conclusions...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed easy DIY and fun to do... just be careful which fluid you use, ask me how I know. Stay away from Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear is all I can say if you like to engage gears below 60F ambient and want a manufacturer to stand by it's product... very disappointing. Next up was simple Mobile 1 75W-90 from Autozone... it seems too slippery for synchros around town driving (re: clunks in lower rpm shifts) so this will come back out soon as well. For those who are getting ready to try this DIY... safest bet is clearly factory OEM fill from Porsche if you want guaranteed OEM feel and performance... but for $120 for 3L it becomes a pricey DIY when you're mind is used to $10 per Liter OTC for your other vehicles... damn Trans-axle combo is finicky!

Glad to hear if anyone has a good experience with an aftermarket fluid they have used, but learn from my experience and avoid these two for your 6MT.

Based on additional research and personal recommendation from my friend who just used it, I will now pick up this to try next (I am a glutten for punishment) and will share my experience... hopefully 3rd time is a charm... all in the name of science! Wish me luck

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Viper, What do you mean by the Mobil 1 problem? What exactly is it doing or what symptoms are you having? I think mine shifts fine with it but you cant just jump in and start shifting without letting it warm up a little.

Is Mobil Delvac also OK to use according to Porsche dealer?

Another member said this:
Mobil 1 Delvac is NOT the Answer
I have just completed the A-B-A test of Mobil 1 75W-90 Delvac to Mobil 1 75W-90 LS.
$150 later and I can tell you that the LS was is superior to Delvac. While there is a little differential noise with LS the Delvac was so bad I thought my tansaxle was going to lock up and leave me stranded, it was that bad.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Halik,

I got flamed for suggesting 3 years yet a legit expert stated you should do yearly MT fluid change if you track your car. I will link it if you dont believe it.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Viper6
Racer

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Viper, What do you mean by the Mobil 1 problem? What exactly is it doing or what symptoms are you having? I think mine shifts fine with it but you cant just jump in and start shifting without letting it warm up a little.

Is Mobil Delvac also OK to use according to Porsche dealer?

Another member said this:
I did not see that before now, hmmm... too late anyway as Delvac is on the way and a friend likes it in his GT3 gearbox so fingers crossed... I'll have my review posted soon enough and maybe this weekend.

Mobil 1 75W-90 has a very decent feel, just some light clunking from 2-3-4-5 shifts below 3-4k when cruising like not enough friction maybe so synchros not full slowing down the matching gear before engaging... that was my novice interpretation. Regardless, I never experienced the clunking with the stock fluid... obove 4k it is liquid smooth like the OEM once warm so that is good... only fluid so far I say run away from was the Severe Gear Amsoil, for both the product and company support...

I did all my subjective comparisons of feel once box and engine warm after 30+ minutes of driving to be sure I was being consistent.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Halik said:
You should probably change all fluids every time you drive it, because, you know, it's cheaper than buying new everything. Start with idiotic premise, arrive at idiotic conclusions...
Expert said:
I have two standard comments on gear oil. The best gear oil is the one that you change frequently, and I mean way way more frequently than Porsche's ridiculous service intervals.
Hey Halik, Im starting to feel less "idiotic" on these fluid change threads. Hmmmm. Complete silence now from the "fluid pros" that have been reaming me about my change intervals. Thats OK.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Viper6
Racer

Originally Posted by Viper6
Agreed easy DIY and fun to do... just be careful which fluid you use, ask me how I know. Stay away from Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear is all I can say if you like to engage gears below 60F ambient and want a manufacturer to stand by it's product... very disappointing. Next up was simple Mobile 1 75W-90 from Autozone... it seems too slippery for synchros around town driving (re: clunks in lower rpm shifts) so this will come back out soon as well. For those who are getting ready to try this DIY... safest bet is clearly factory OEM fill from Porsche if you want guaranteed OEM feel and performance... but for $120 for 3L it becomes a pricey DIY when you're mind is used to $10 per Liter OTC for your other vehicles... damn Trans-axle combo is finicky!

Glad to hear if anyone has a good experience with an aftermarket fluid they have used, but learn from my experience and avoid these two for your 6MT.

Based on additional research and personal recommendation from my friend who just used it, I will now pick up this to try next (I am a glutten for punishment) and will share my experience... hopefully 3rd time is a charm... all in the name of science! Wish me luck

http://www.lufteknic.com/Merchant2/m...ode=lubricants
Happy to report that third time's a charm... Delvac brought back that OEM feeling back to my car...

Quick Reply: Trans/diff/xfer fluid intervals?