996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LN IMS Retrofit Kit longevity

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

All kinds of aftermarket and OEM parts are sold everyday without regard to the capability of the buyer. Why would an IMSB retrofit kit be any different?

No seller has an obligation to the buyer that he must prove he is mechanic worthy to install the part before it will be sold to him. This practice would quickly put Autozone, OReilly's, and every other part seller (including Dealer Parts sales) out of business.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
All kinds of aftermarket and OEM parts are sold everyday without regard to the capability of the buyer. Why would an IMSB retrofit kit be any different?

No seller has an obligation to the buyer that he must prove he is mechanic worthy to install the part before it will be sold to him. This practice would quickly put Autozone, OReilly's, and every other part seller (including Dealer Parts sales) out of business.
The biggest issue that we find with the standard IMSB retrofit is installers that apply them after a bearing has begun to fail (or some other part) and foreign object debris exists within the engine. The retrofit bearing is not resilient to any debris like this since it is open to splash lubrication from the engine's oil. The IMS Solution behaves much better with debris than the standard bearing since the IMS Solution uses oil supplied directly from the spin on oil filter adaptor to feed the bearing flange. Since the SPOFA does not include a bypass 100% of the engine's oil is filtered, 100% of the time, even at start up (unlike the factory arrangement). No debris within an engine is good and it will always take out parts if operated long enough.

The Porsche industry isn't like any of the generic formats out there where parts can be purchased at Autozone. If one person makes a mistake and suffers a complication/ failure the whole industry knows about it in a week.

And of course, the guy who makes the mistake never admits it, so it turns into a finger pointing exercise that can lead to a loss of reputation for the developers. This has almost occurred in the past when an installer left the snap ring off his IMS Retrofit bearing and it failed in short order.

While we can't prevent every mistake or issue we can do our part to minimize the chances of them occurring and will do so even if it costs us money. Last time I checked, reputation was priceless. Attaining it within this industry is difficult, retaining it is damn near impossible, especially in the modern world.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
It makes you want to drink a case of beer a day... Too bad I don't drink.

I guess the definition of a high pressure job varies from person to person...
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for explaining. So its a bushing concept with a dedicated oil supply? Great job on the solution. Your knowledge is amazing and I get the impression alot of it is from trial and error with the M96. Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Meares
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is Leith porsche good enough to do this? i'm sure they've done it before...several times
Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Installed the LN in my '99 at 90k, now 122k. = 32k {knock on wood}
One of the first installs. Yes the original IMS was perfect.

Quick Reply: LN IMS Retrofit Kit longevity