Sponsored by:

If you've done a vinyl wrap on your 911 let me know how it's holding up

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM
white99c2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you've done a vinyl wrap on your 911 let me know how it's holding up

I drive my Glacier White 996 every day. It's got a chipped up front bumper and bottom half of the hood and its getting worse. I'm thinking of having it completely wrapped in matte white. Here are my questions.

I know that my drive on the highway to work here in the rock capital of the world Arizona is going to continue to cause chips.

Will the vinyl be more resistant to chipping?

Did you have the door openings wrapped?

Should the bumpers be removed and done off the car?

Is your car a daily driver?

How is it holding up?

How much did it cost you?

Thanks in advance, Rob
Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I drive my Glacier White 996 every day. It's got a chipped up front bumper and bottom half of the hood and its getting worse.
Thats a good argument as to not use it for a DD. Wrap looks kind of odd. Why dont you get an estimate on getting it properly repaired? Another member recently had his front bumper, hood, and I think fenders repainted. Turned out perfect and looks like original color. You can check out the thread if you search.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

regardless of wrap or repaint, consider this option:
Old 01-05-2013, 10:33 PM
white99c2
Racer

If I do have the hood and bumper reprinted I'm planning on clear bra or the chipping will happen again. I had the front bumper reprinted a year and a half ago because of chips. Reprint is not as hard as factory paint and chips much easier. It seems like I have more chips in it than before I had it painted. My wife equivalent is trying to talk me out of doing anything because it is a daily driver and the highways in Phoenix are have rocks flying all the time. My windshield is covered with little chips, I keep hoping a nice big rock hits it so my insurance will replace it.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Thats a good argument as to not use it for a DD. Wrap looks kind of odd. Why dont you get an estimate on getting it properly repaired? Another member recently had his front bumper, hood, and I think fenders repainted. Turned out perfect and looks like original color. You can check out the thread if you search.
I would disagree with this - if the wrap is done well it looks great. White is one of those colors that is hard to match on a repaint anyway, so why not do a full wrap for 2k and get whatever color you want?

Or, just suck it up, get a Dr Colorchip kit for $70, and call it a day?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

I like the matt white wraps / plastidips - I know a guy who did a black volvo in white (vinyl wrap) - held up very well through winter, etc. When he gets bored, off it comes. From what I've seen, they are quite resilient.
Probably get whole car done in plastidip which also looks very nice when done properly for well under $1000.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Sorry, didnt realize you had repainted before. That sux. If the rocks are that bad, you could buy a POS to DD and save the Porsche from the road hazards.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 AM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my car wrapped for almost one year, from my experience. i may answer your Qs

Will the vinyl be more resistant to chipping?----YES

Did you have the door openings wrapped?----NO

Should the bumpers be removed and done off the car?----YES

Is your car a daily driver?----YES

How is it holding up?---VERY GOOD

How much did it cost you?---DIY, MATERIAL ONLY
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 AM
white99c2
Racer

Thanks, I know who I want to do it in Scottsdale. I've seen a few of the cars he's done. I just have to make up my mind.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by white99c2
If I do have the hood and bumper reprinted I'm planning on clear bra or the chipping will happen again. I had the front bumper reprinted a year and a half ago because of chips. Reprint is not as hard as factory paint and chips much easier. It seems like I have more chips in it than before I had it painted. My wife equivalent is trying to talk me out of doing anything because it is a daily driver and the highways in Phoenix are have rocks flying all the time. My windshield is covered with little chips, I keep hoping a nice big rock hits it so my insurance will replace it.
Throw a rock through the windscreen...Ring your insurance.... Solved lol
Old 01-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Krazy's answer for every question: Don't drive your car.

I want to take my car to the track. Don't!
I want to daily drive my car. Don't!

I hate to break it to you but these cars aren't going to be collectors items. They're great fun and should be enjoyed. Enjoying them requires regular upkeep and maintenance (which I know you love). You sound like a virgin avoiding sex so it will feel better when you do have. I promise, it's great every time...so do it as often as you can to maximize your enjoyment!

-Shawn

Ps-to answer the OP's question: I went with a clear wrap on my front bumper a few years ago. It holds up great against chips on the street and the track. It does require upkeep to stay looking its best, but less than a paint job. I don't have any experience with colored vinyl.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Krazy's answer for every question: Don't drive your car.

I want to take my car to the track. Don't!
I want to daily drive my car. Don't!

I hate to break it to you but these cars aren't going to be collectors items. They're great fun and should be enjoyed. Enjoying them requires regular upkeep and maintenance (which I know you love). You sound like a virgin avoiding sex so it will feel better when you do have. I promise, it's great every time...so do it as often as you can to maximize your enjoyment!

-Shawn

Ps-to answer the OP's question: I went with a clear wrap on my front bumper a few years ago. It holds up great against chips on the street and the track. It does require upkeep to stay looking its best, but less than a paint job. I don't have any experience with colored vinyl.
+1
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

can someone post a good place to buy the wrapmaterial ? and also the size that need to be purchased.

It seems to me as the cost of wrapping is really high for flat colors alone, so I don't even want to think about a nice racing livery

I'd love to have my paint matte, still dark silver grey but matte.

So far it looks to me like it cost $1000 for materials and $1000 for labor.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 AM
white99c2
Racer

Übermensch quote "I hate to break it to you but these cars aren't going to be collectors items. They're great fun and should be enjoyed. Enjoying them requires regular upkeep and maintenance (which I know you love). You sound like a virgin avoiding sex so it will feel better when you do have. I promise, it's great every time...so do it as often as you can to maximize your enjoyment!"

Far from the truth: I drive the car every day and have for a number of years. It's a '99 and I've maintained it perfectly. I think the car really is capable of going several more years and I have always taken care of any cosmetic damage as soon as I noticed it. I am going to do something about the rocks that are hitting the car. Reprint and clear bra or wrap. I think either project is going to cost about the same. I really don't know which way to go, fix what's happened or take a walk on the wild side and change the look of the car all together.

Here it is:

Last edited by white99c2; 01-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Re-read Uber's post. It is not directed to you. I like the thought of a wrap or at least my hood. Maybe matt black.

Quick Reply: If you've done a vinyl wrap on your 911 let me know how it's holding up