Sponsored by:

higher mile 996 C4S purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 04:47 PM
gerglmuff
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default higher mile 996 C4S purchase?

currently own a GTI and a 944 turbo, thinking of combining them into a C4S. i live in minneSONWta so i do have to deal with adverse, possibly very adverse weather from time to time. my currently solution is above - 2 different cars.

the notion is with the price on these 996s so low, to combine everything into 1 car. people are only looking for 25-30 grand on these cars!

so im looking at 60-100k mile 996s, particularly for 2002+ and C4s. if i got a C2, i'd have to get a winter set of tires no matter what, probably have to for the C4 too.

obviously good PPI, IMS etc etc .... but anything else to worry about on these cars? i have to admit i am somewhat worried about the one car deal, as currently if my porsche is not running, i can leave it sit while i work on it, or save up the money to fix it etc etc.

so whats it cost to run one of these, and what kind of stuff will it need in future? i am a fairly competent DIYer. 25, single, no kids.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 810 Posts

Welcome. Every question you just asked can be answered with just doing a little bit of searching and looking around in here, as the very questions you just asked have been covered ad naseum.

We're all for helping people out, but as a forum community we also expect people to try to help themselves first.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 899 Posts

I'm about to roll 120K on my 2002 C4S. It has been a wonderful, reliable car.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, and my '02 C4S has 102k on it.

Also, a general theme I've noticed is that those of us with "high" mileage (80k+) cars that actually get driven tend to report fewer issues with our cars and lower overall cost of ownership. Again, this is just a qualitative observation I've made.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:10 PM
gerglmuff
3rd Gear

so looks like RMS and clutch are the two biggie things that need to be done. IMS is a crap shoot (knew that going into a 996 though).

question on the suspension: how cheap/easy to get something adjustable. i'd like something that i could adjust ride height +1 inch to maybe -1 inch. jack it up in the winter, maybe a bit lower in the summer, nothing crazy slammed or anything. would this require a full new coilover setup, or does the stock suspension fit some different springs?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

RMS and clutch is normal for all 996s. Expect the clutch to last 50-60k miles on average. RMS can be a crapshoot, but is nothing to worry about unless it is leaking a lot.

As for suspension, if you plan to actually adjust it up and down with the seasons, you might as well get coilovers because removing and replacing the suspension twice a year would be 1) expensive and 2) a terrible waste of time. Not to mention needing an alignment every time you do it as well.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

just keep in mind when you alter height, a full wheel alignment should be done so you avoid strange behaviours and retain those special on-road characteristics these cars have.

EDIt - posted at same time, duh
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been to Minnesota and just like Chicago, I always worry not on what I'll do or can control but what others can't control in the winter time. All it takes is for that 1 idiot to lose control of their car in the snow and it will be game over.

Personally if you're 25 single and somewhat mechanically inclined, I would set a side for a cheap winter beater car.

Plus AWD on the C4S isn't nothing to write home about compared to other AWD cars out there(flame suit on).

My $.02
Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 PM
gerglmuff
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by alpine003
I've been to Minnesota and just like Chicago, I always worry not on what I'll do or can control but what others can't control in the winter time. All it takes is for that 1 idiot to lose control of their car in the snow and it will be game over.

Personally if you're 25 single and somewhat mechanically inclined, I would set a side for a cheap winter beater car.

Plus AWD on the C4S isn't nothing to write home about compared to other AWD cars out there(flame suit on).

My $.02
i think i would eventually, but i'd rather spend the 2-3 grand now on lowering my payment on the C4S. it would probably only have to make it through this winter.

i also live like 2 miles from work, im not commuting much.

and yeah, on the ride height, i guess i didnt think of the alignment. damn, that sucks, was thinking that would be a cheap/easy solution.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Two miles from work is hard on any car. You'll never get it up to temperature and end up parking the car with a bunch of moisture in the engine.

Buy the C2/C4S, a winter beater Corrola, and a bicycle.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

My 996 is typically my only car, must've put 35+k miles on it in the last 2 years. Currently at 177k miles and I love it. I would do the one car thing as when you have a car that's this fun, you'll tend not to drive the others. That's what I did anyway even when I had a stripped/caged 944 turbo.

Note on raising/lowering, I think the factory height for an American market car would be perfect for your purposes without alteration.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 PM
producerjohn
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Stupid C4S problems I've had (not necessarily on same car) as I've owned 4.

Clutch spring. $250 70k mi (had it happen on three C4S's)
Door lock actuator: $450
ABS Pump: $4k plus
ABS speed sensor: $140 installed myself
cat converters: factory $900 a side
Seat Belt sensors (throws SRS code): $250 (had it happen on all three C4S's)
Starter: $600 (had it happen on two C4S's)
Water pump: $1200
Some stupid hose (I'm sure that's a factory term) $350

60k service: $1200
90k service: $1200

Most of theses problems happened between 60 and 95k. I haven't had one with higher miles than that. These cars can more than just nickel and dime you, however I have never had an IMS failure.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gerglmuff
so whats it cost to run one of these, and what kind of stuff will it need in future? i am a fairly competent DIYer. 25, single, no kids.
Running any car in the winter is a risky business. If you hit ice it doesnt matter if you have a 4 or 2 wheel drive. Anyway I spend more on gas by far than ever I spend on parts or labor (approx $2000 a year) and you being a DIY man, you should have nothing to worry about only preventative maintenance cost. Plus if you have to work on the car, you could cycle to work.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 PM
spender
Pro

My $.02
Well, Alpine did put his flame suit on - but I won't be too hard on him!

You can now buy the 996 (especially the 99 to 01) for less than $20,000 in most places. These cars were meant to be driven, are fun to drive, and (like it or not, as I own one too so I'm in the same boat ) will never be classics. We love them, just as our moms loved us (lol). Life's just too short to drive "cheap winter beaters" - just buy one and drive it.

Next, the AWD on the C4 / C4S / Turbo is great. As a guy who had three 4WD trucks/SUVs prior to getting my C4S, I can honestly say that this is the best winter car I've driven (but I've never taken it out in the deep deep snow). The low stance/CoG and the fact the engine is over the drive wheels makes it awesome. It is not "perfect" for sure - but is what you would expect from a sports car. My favourite is when I'm at the lights with some hick in a 4x4 pickup who looks over thinking "what's that guy doing driving that in the winter" and leaving him in the dust as he struggles to get through the intersection when I'm already a block away.

As for the idiots, that's why you have insurance.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 PM
producerjohn
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Seattle to SLC in February on street tires.

The expressions on peoples faces were priceless.

Quick Reply: higher mile 996 C4S purchase?