Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Water pump changed at the dealer, now burp valve stay up after engine is warm , norma

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:55 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Water pump changed at the dealer, now burp valve stay up after engine is warm , norma

So I got my water pump fixed by the dealer, and my extended warranty paid for it, nice and clean (fidelity).

Anyways, now I see that my burping valve stays up once my engine is warm... If I try to push it down with my finger I can feel the pressure and the thing goes back up in a wink.

Why is that ? I thought the dealer was supposed to use the vacuum system to avoid any air in the system. Could that be the cause ?

I did not even know that the burping valve would go up on its own ... any ideas ?

Phil.
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, you need to move the switch to the other side to put it in the closed position. So when it's cold, flip the silver latch over. I agree though, I would have thought the dealer would have bled the system out, not just used a burp valve.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:25 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesnt matter what side it is on. You manually burp it by rotating the metal clip so it points straight up. Something not right with your burp valve. It goes up to burpany pressure, then drops straight down. This doesnt mean the dealer didnt evacuate with vaccum, as soon as they remove the vacuum thwn there is air in the expqnsion tank. What happens when you crack open the blue cap?do you hear a hiss of air, and then the burp balve drops? EDIT:WHEN I WROTENTHIS I THOUGHT THE SYSTEM WAS COLD! NOT HOT! Everyone one should know not to crack open the cap when it is hot, by now.

Last edited by perryinva; 12-21-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

DON"T OPEN IT WHEN HOT!!
The burp valve is working as intended.
When your engine gets hot the coolant is pressurized by the heat expansion = valve up.
For normal operation leave the bail on the valve down and the valve will rise and fall with heat. If you snap the bail up, vertical, it will open the system as it cools down and warms up letting trapped air out. When hot the system will be pressurized and the valve will be up.
If your system wasn't pressurized all of the coolant would boil out very quickly. If you are above sea level, Denver?, it might boil out even before the thermostat opens.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes! I missed that completely, sorry! I assumed his system was cold! I should have mentioned that, for sure, thanks for pointing it out. When I did mine, and the engine was cold, after having driven it a few times, I noticed that the level was below the min line. Burp valve was down. When I actuated the bail, the air pressure released and the level jumped back up to min. Didnt think the system, cold would/should have pressure on it. Seems fine now. Yes, that is perfectly normal when hot, mine is the same.

Last edited by perryinva; 12-21-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
The burp valve is working as intended.
This. Relax. All is well. Happy Holidays.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:21 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

so the valve always up when the engine is hot ?

I have to say that I never paid attention to it, only reason I am looking now is because they just did the water pump.

If you say all is good then we are all good

I am learning everyday
Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,171 Likes on 749 Posts

fbp111 is correct and good call. Operation is normal - when hot burp valve is up, when cool it is down. The only reason to use the wire clip is if you are manually burping the system.

Quick Reply: Water pump changed at the dealer, now burp valve stay up after engine is warm , norma