996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Changing out those old motor mounts well worth it

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:10 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch, sorry Andy, I was going by memory, yes, 18mm. I'll change that right now. But was I right? Awesome difference in clutch engagement...way too smoother for such a little change, wasn't it!? Mine looked exactly like yours, check the first posts.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:56 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
Ouch, sorry Andy, I was going by memory, yes, 18mm. I'll change that right now. But was I right? Awesome difference in clutch engagement...way too smoother for such a little change, wasn't it!? Mine looked exactly like yours, check the first posts.
No worries, just an excuse for me to buy that full metric deep socket set at Sears!

Yeah, it's really amazing how much better the car drives with the motor NOT sloshing around on old mounts! Wish I did it 5 years ago.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:00 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
Hey I have bought the RS mount kit form suncoast but I have many screws in there, can anybody explain to me what they are for ?

I thought there would be for each mount:
- 1 screw going into the middle of the mount toward the motor support
- 2 screws going on the mount side to fix it to the chassis

But in that kit, it seems I have double of what I need. Some look silver, the other set look more like nickel/gold.

I wonder if there is a "choice" to be made or something

help
Hmmm. I just used the original nuts and screws, not sure why you have so many there? I would remove your old ones and it will probably make more sense as to which screw goes where.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd chime in on this one as well. I just changed my mounts last night, and HOLY CRAP WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I've got a '99, that had the original mounts, and I was getting a noticeable vibration at idle, as well as the typical slightly lower exhaust pipe as well as passenger seat vibrating. You DEFINITELY want an 18MM Deep Socket as well as a 6" extension for your socket, and a torque wrench to torque the bolts to the right spec. Once you have all of that (I had it on ramps to change them out) it was only about15- 20 minutes a side, doing it leisurely. I ordered mine from Pelican, and received the REIN version, even though they say Corteco on their site. Someone else had mentioned Pelican had yet to update their site, but the REIN's worked great, so I went ahead and got them.

After putting them in, once I started the car to move it off the ramps I could immediately tell the difference, way less vibration. The old ones definitely had a sag/lean to them.

It's a great way to spend $200 and have way less vibration on your 996.

Cheers,

DS
Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Yep, like I said, way too much of an improvement from such a simple maintenance item. Far more things affected by the new mounts, than just "holding the engine in place". The difference in shifting, was for me, worth the cost alone. Yes, 18mm deep socket, should have made that clear too! Way too much thread past the nuts for a regular socket.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Invius
Rennlist Member

No worries, it just meant that I got to buy more tools! I totally agree, the shifts are much smoother, the vibration at idle is virtually non-existent, and the ride at speed is MUCH smoother as well (did quite a bit of highway driving yesterday and it was much more pleasant than previous...I should have done this before anything else, but didn't learn about it until around the time you did yours).

Cheers,

DS
Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Invius
I ordered mine from Pelican, and received the REIN version, even though they say Corteco on their site. Someone else had mentioned Pelican had yet to update their site, but the REIN's worked great, so I went ahead and got them.

DS
Invius, did you order the Turbo mounts or other?

I guess I will jump on this bandwagon and do this in the near future also.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Hey Steve, I went with the non-turbo mounts.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0%281999-05%29

They say Corteco on their site, but that is not correct as previously noted, you will get REIN mounts. I can't speak to their longevity, but they are fantastic thus far.

Last edited by Invius; 01-13-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Philooo have you installed the RS mounts yet?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Whether you order the Turbo or regular Corteco from Pelican, you get the exact same Reins.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

So the Turbo mounts are NOT stiffer?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It would be interesting to see if the Corticos or the Reins are liquid filled and whether they use the same thickness of rubber. As I recalled, I remember reading someone saying some of the cheaper non-oem engine mounts were not liquid filled.

I know when I went to oem turbo mounts, I barely noticed anything. I thought it was an "upgrade" but my car might've had original mounts changed out already at some point, hence the reason why there wasn't too much of a difference.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by perryinva
Whether you order the Turbo or regular Corteco from Pelican, you get the exact same Reins.
I just ordered and they offered me both options (Turbo and regular), but they were the same price, $91 each, so I'm sure you are correct.

btw, I just spent $500 for plugs, coils, air filters, and engine mounts. You people are killing me
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Your telling me this site is costing me a fortune, LOL.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:42 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Your telling me this site is costing me a fortune, LOL.
Although some of my mods has come close to a Mac and Cheese diet, being able experience a combo of constipation, muscle spasms, back aches, little nausea while going around a bend faster than you ever thought while your heart is pounding at 100bpm's is priceless.

Quick Reply: Changing out those old motor mounts well worth it