Sponsored by:

Value of 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera with 121,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mlambert890
IMO stuff like this is way too hard to generalize. I am sure I can find pretty much any car for $X if I look.

That car may have been a clear indicator that 996s are now cheaper than Hyundais, or it may have been a car that had lots of stories hiding.

In the past, searching for deals, I often spent a ton of time chasing cars like that only to find really obvious (to me) signs of prior paintwork and accidents. I always pass on cars like that, but I am 100% sure they ended up going to someone who would then tell the world about the "amazing deal" he got on a "flawless car". Very unfair to the guy that has an equivalent car, but without the accident history, and (rightly) expects 50% more.

Caveat emptor. If a car is amazingly cheap there is almost always accident history. If as a buyer you don't care, then that's great, but it really doesn't make it a great deal compared to a car that hasn't been hit IMO. To some, even if the entire front end has been replaced and repaired correctly, they still feel the car is "perfect" and a great deal.

For me once a car has been hit the value becomes $0. Most buyers at the very least apply a significant reduction to prior accident damage cars even if they have been repaired perfectly, so the reality is that accident history has a big impact on value.

Maybe an 02 996 is now *really* a $12k car, but I find that extremely hard to believe. I was offered $25k on dealer trade for mine (but of course mine has no accident history) I'd bet money that $12k car had accident history which is why a dealer wouldnt touch it and the buyer set the price so low. A friend of mine is an experienced body guy and has become a true "heart breaker" among our group. 100% of the time someone has come to him with an amazing find that they swear is 100% perfect, he points out the accident history in 5 minutes. It can be almost impossible to spot even for someone who feels they know what to look for, but experienced collision guys will know immediately.
That's pretty much spot on.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mlambert890
Maybe an 02 996 is now *really* a $12k car, but I find that extremely hard to believe. I was offered $25k on dealer trade for mine (but of course mine has no accident history) I'd bet money that $12k car had accident history which is why a dealer wouldnt touch it and the buyer set the price so low..
okay so $12K worst case and $19K at the the higher end. Considering the sticker price, that's not that huge a range we're talking about here. Which means its not a huge range for a seller either. The bottom line is that a water-cooled Porsche that's been out of warranty for six+ years with mileage well into the territory of "major maintenance soon required" can be sold at a very low price even with a clear accident history. Supply is going to increase, interest rates for new purchases or even loans on in-warranty used or CPO Porsches are extremely low. You don't have to be wealthy to swing a $40K-$70K car loan right now. Which really makes the decision to go with a 10+ year old Porsche less appealing while supply is growing. That's a condition for a very wide pricing spectrum if the car you're selling isn't an air-cooled collector car. The idea that only water-cooled Porsches with blemished car histories are the only ones that will be going very cheap (under $15K) is about to be tested very soon.

Ritholtz the Wall Street blogger had a recent blog posted about shopping for cars and noting that he would be able to consider cars much higher up the pricing ladder simply because of the Fed's money printing. He was stunned to see how easy it was to finance cars that were non-straters (due to high price) just a few years ago. If someone can afford to move into a nicer car that means their going to be sending their current, in-warranty, nice car into the used market very soon. Which in turn makes the used car purchasers a lot more picky and less quick to lay out cash above a typical downpayment (the price of buying an out of warranty used car outright).

Last edited by perfectlap; 02-25-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I find it quite interesting that this has gone on as long as it did without the op ever chiming back in.

I just hope this forum doesn't get over-run with college kids(no offense)...
Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Minor parking lot type fender benders happen all the time. Making a car woth $0, because of this is just simply amazing to me. Especially when these cars are getting to be over 10 years old. It's simply not a realistic expectation.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 AM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drives me nuts car shopping up here in Canada(Toronto).Try to find an 03 boxster for less than 23 and early 996 in half decent shape are still mid 20's.Everyone up here thinks they have the best car on the planet.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,914 Posts

Originally Posted by goatfarmerdave
Drives me nuts car shopping up here in Canada(Toronto).Try to find an 03 boxster for less than 23 and early 996 in half decent shape are still mid 20's.Everyone up here thinks they have the best car on the planet.
owners thinking "best car on the planet" also applies here in the states - there are 1999 996's for sale on autotrader, cars.com and CL that i've seen on and off market for 2 years. - from my experience they are mostly in the los angeles area where the owners think they are above everyone else.
i've talked to a few of them. the lonely/miserable people who know everything and get off talking to strangers when they call. when i follow up on these cars i always ask if they have their pants unzipped and little towel in position.

the few cars that are really well priced seem to be young guys/starving actors/waiters who are trying to bail and really couldn't affford them in the 1st place.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:39 AM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha....great post....tell us how you really feel! lmao

Quick Reply: Value of 2001 Porsche 911 Carrera with 121,000 miles