996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Buyer tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 PM
carlylespicks
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I put a lot of hard work into it. It's not easy because of the elusive nature of the show. I won't work with a majority or companies/dealerships so I end up using my own inventory or just in general keeping things closer to home and staying away from the corporations. Ferrari for example was the biggest snob of all and I'm not into giving free promotion to companies I would not do business with. I got friends even with products I won't touch.

It's kinda like the work I do at high schools. I take time off from my job to go to speak at school for free and although I get tremendous feedback, they make me work so hard to always find schools to speak at. You would think if they love the work I do as they say and the students say and considering I'm free, they would be contacting me. Now I will begin to charge a minimal fee just out of principal.

I'm built to serve so I can't help that, but it's unfortunate that I give so much and get so little in return. Don't get me wrong. If I help even 1 child achieve his/her dreams it makes it all worth it, it's just a little bit disheartening the lack of support I get sometimes. Not always, but usually.

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 PM
carlylespicks
Banned

Cool Thanks to all who have helped!

I want to take the time to say thanks for those who have helped so much. A LOT of good information here. Unfortunately the noise that the few have presented kind of hides some of that info but I think most people here were quite helpful.

To those who think I'm defensive. Well you have to understand I'm different than you. If somebody came on a forum asking valid questions, I would not need to establish their credibility for me to help them. I could careless who they are and what they know. It could be a curious 5 year old. I'm glad to help and guess what, while we are talking we create more things for people to find in their searches. A real buyer may one day find this search and be very grateful to you all. Personally, if I needed to get all complicated with it, I'd just ignore the post rather than interrogate and accuse the poster of being lazy or trying to take advantage.

My fault for letting the negative responses get to me. I just can't seem to learn!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

The youtube videos are very well produced. I look forward to seeing what you have to say about the 996!

Last edited by wisky; 11-28-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:18 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sharp videos. Thanks for sharing. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my two cents while my dinner is in the oven.

I don't think I saw mention of the car wearing proper "N" spec tires - something you can do pre PPI. Doesn't mean it's a bad car but in my opinion it is sign of a previous owner deciding to save some money - so I would wonder what else did the PO do (or not do) to save money.

As to number of owners - I learned that this is not an absolute, nor is a Carfax service history.

Personal case in point. I purchased a 2004 C2 in 2007. One owner, purchased from a dealer with a CPO warranty - $23k miles - all books and records. Had it not been for the CPO warranty I would most likely be a very unhappy owner.

Last year I purchased a 2004 C4S from a private seller cross country. Had a basic PPI performed at a Porsche dealer. Carfax showed 6 previous owners, 23K miles on the clock. At first the six owners was a red flag. Had my local dealer check for warranty repairs as their database does allow for warranty records but not service records from other dealers. No warranty work - which I liked. I tend to check warranty work and when I see repeat items, such as "check body electrical" every six months or so I tend to stay away from the car.

I almost walked from the C4S - didn't like the number of owners, didn't like the low average annual mileage. But after seeking advice from Rennlist members and my local dealer, and a little more research that proved that some of the recorded ownership was from dealer taking title and from original owner relocating, I decided to take the risk and purchase the car sight unseen. Provided full payment via wire transfer using a Porsche dealer to act somewhat as the broker.

On pins and needles until it arrived and came off the carrier. Car turned out to be as close to "as new" as I could have ever imagined. Had it delivered to my dealer, had another PPI done and felt better when my dealer reported that even the undercarriage looked as if it just came off the showroom floor.

I knew I was taking a risk yet had I walked away I would have walked away from the "excellent" example I had searched over a year and a half for.

So - there are no absolutes. Sometimes what looks like a sure bet is a loser (ever date anyone like that)? And sometimes what might scare someone else away provides a diamond ripe for the picking.

Best of luck to you and your project.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

FWIW, notice how the responses softened up AFTER you (well, actually Gonzo and then you) showed some of your previous work so we could get an idea what you were angling towards? Going forward, perhaps a brief introduction, explanation, and providing some of your previous works would help the community understand what you were trying to accomplish.

Good luck,

DS
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 168 Posts

Carlyle, If you are going to do a video on the 996 I think it's important to add other positive aspects of the car. Many of the things that have been discussed are issues to be aware of before buying, but these cars are around 10-14 years old. Any high performance car needs much more attention than a normal passenger car and thus at this time in their life cycle, this type of attention will be needed with any car of this nature. The 996 is an incredible value at this time. These cars are very fast and on a twisty road or track is where they really shine. When properly maintained these cars are very reliable and many are used a daily drivers. 996 owners are true enthusiasts. Many enjoy doing their own maintenance to varying degrees and it is an easy car to work on. A lot of owners also choose to use their cars on the track and do modifications for even better handling as well as looks. Many of us wanted a 911 since we were young and getting a 996 certainly fulfills the dream. -Randy
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM
carlylespicks
Banned

I've read some buyers guides and I don't trust them. I remember reading one that did not mention the "Evils" just mostly spoke about the positives. I find there is somewhat of a vial of secrecy around Porsche and other cars. There is the Top Grins and then there is the cries of actual owners. I seek the potential cries so I can help prevent future pain for future buyers. I'm not looking to just say Porsche is heaven, people know that or THINK they do, I want to complete the picture but not as comprehensibly as people her would like. I cater to my audience who loves my stile and content so I know what I have works.

The issue I think is that people here are too sophisticated for my show. They are not my audience. The guide I do would seem useless to them, but that is because they are not my audience. I LOVE Top Gear and I would love it even more if it went as far as I do. They don't get you the behind the scenes info I do. And for those who say I'm redundant. Think again:

1) I'm not commercial so I'm not competing with anybody but myself. Not selling anything.

2) What I deliver to my audience is a very unique, energetic and much more intimate delivery. They like myself, don't really want to read some boring Porsche guide. They want to sit back relax and enjoy an entertaining, to the point but still detailed enough presentation of a summary of the product with my personal judgement and integrity on top of it. They know I'm not in anybody's pocket and I have no loyalty to anybody but my audience. I will saw whatever I want about ANY product or brand. For example, I LOVE the Daytona 675 but I really don't like Triumph.

Originally Posted by alpine003
Ding ding ding - winner winner chicken dinner.

Let's setup a donation for this for the op.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM
carlylespicks
Banned

I will, trust me, but I'm more interested in the "dark side". The stuff most don't know or aren't talking about. Lot of people watch Top Gear but I never heard them mention IMS or any of the other things. These cars can be driven daily and rack up miles with no issues with good maintenance and possibly some luck. I want to make sure however that buyers are aware of the unique lesser known risks with this model. It was suggested search "996 issues" but why would I do that if all I hear is how great they are? It's not a bad idea, but I'm considering a buyers who know NOTHING about the car except the media hype you hear all over. I was one of those folks. I thought Porsche was bulletproof based on what I was hearing. Now I know a Porsche model CAN be bulletproof, but some models have some serous potential issues if you are not careful as an owner and buyer. I know also that that older models seem to be much higher quality with resale values to match.

Originally Posted by Porsche87
Carlyle, If you are going to do a video on the 996 I think it's important to add other positive aspects of the car.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by carlylespicks
I've read some buyers guides and I don't trust them.
I can certainly relate as I've had some similar experience but the book I listed is one of the better ones and has a good deal of great info as I'm sure most on here can agree to.

If you're already on these forums however, you can get most of the same info here for the most part.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by carlylespicks
I will, trust me, but I'm more interested in the "dark side". .
One of the biggest issues is people over-reacting to internet hype and going over to the dark side. So keep it real and balanced. Judging by some of your other videos I think you will.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche87
One of the biggest issues is people over-reacting to internet hype and going over to the dark side. So keep it real and balanced. Judging by some of your other videos I think you will.
Dunno, in his Facebook comments, he seems to be very critical of the 99s.

The 1999 Porsche 911...perhaps the worst Porsche ever built(look at market values if you are in doubt)....perhaps one of the worst cars every built(not considering performance)? What do you think?

Carlyle's Picks Gytis Kupinas It's one thing to take some time to get the hang of a new design, but to build a ticking time bomb because you intentionally cut corners AND then to not fix it for the greater part of a decade in unconscionable. Will all the failures and complaints Porsche KNEW the car was junk but yet they kept selling it under different names in futures models(I'm told even to 2008), THAT is bad. I mean, look at me, I hate how unreliable Mercedes Benz has made so many of their cars(NOT all), but it is nothing compared to the 996. I'd take an ugly Benz any day over a 1999 996. At least when my Benz breaks down at 800 miles, I can have the broken sensor fixed for $500 as opposed to spending $15,000 on a new 996 motor! BMW and Benz have trivial issues because of all the tech. The 996 has catastrophic failures AND trivial issues like cheap interior components falling apart. What an embarrassment to the once legendary brand. To anybody who has any doubts, ask yourself why an over a decade old 911 with 80,000 miles costs $20,000 more than a new one?
And then I find it ironic that Wisky who's a car dealer thanked Carlyle in expressing interest in buying a 996 and now he has edited and deleted most of what was said. His videos are good as I admitted but the rest seems a bit shady to me.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now this is funny - all the same guys that were taking the Mick are now all falling over themselves when they found out you're legit!!

Some nice vids - especially the sportbike ones!!

Last edited by fanny bay r1; 11-29-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The videos look great actually. I think you nailed it though -- someone looking for an "Essential Buyer's Guide" isn't your target audience. The videos do help a lot at putting your project in context.

Best of luck (and continued success)!

-Eric
Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry I'm late! Seems like the party's over.

I admire your enthusiasm and wish you the best!

We get intruders here from time to time and many have "pie in the sky" ideas. A lot of information is exchanged, excitement generated all for naught. They leave unannounced as quickly as they came never to be heard from again.

I see you walk the walk! Good for you.

Quick Reply: 996 Buyer tips?