996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Buyer tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM
carlylespicks
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I have not heard too much talk about this part failure. Are they warning signs I need to advise new buyers about? Any immediate symptoms?

Originally Posted by function12
Has the water pump been replaced and if so when?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 AM
carlylespicks
Banned

Thanks! Appreciate the info!

Originally Posted by HouseAutomotive
Find a shop that's able to check these items below as well.

1. Body paint work with proper paint gauge
2. Over revs with Piwis tester
3. Accident/impact triggers in the airbag control units with Piwis tester
4. Mileage discrepancy in control units with Piwis tester

Paint work and control units checks are very important. I just finish inspecting a RS 4.0 in Oklahoma Coty and I'm glad that all these tools came in play.

Let me know if there are anything that we can help.

Cheers
Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 AM
carlylespicks
Banned

Thanks for the tips. As far as doing more research...well...that IS what I'm doing here with this post right?

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
If AOS is news then please make sure you do A LOT more research before you publish a video on buying a car you know too little about. You would only discredit yourself in the process.
-Eric
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carlylespicks
Thanks for the tips. As far as doing more research...well...that IS what I'm doing here with this post right?
Seriously? You call this research... Gathering the random opinions of people who may, or may not have any clue about what they are talking about?

Oh dear.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:06 PM
carlylespicks
Banned

Those guys are supposed to be pretty good and specialize in Porsche. I think they charge $180 for PPI also.

Originally Posted by fpb111
Go talk to Mike and Keith at Power Tech. Bring your camera and see if they will let you do some vid of what ever is on the racks.
http://www.pwr-tech.com/

Don't forget C&C Sunday at the Hilton
Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Seriously? You call this research... Gathering the random opinions of people who may, or may not have any clue about what they are talking about?

Oh dear.
LOL - that's the entire rasion d'etre for the internet n'est pas??
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I have not heard too much talk about this part failure. Are they warning signs I need to advise new buyers about? Any immediate symptoms?
If you're using this post as the basis for producing a video for 996 buyers you're years from producing something worthwhile...unless you want it to be perceived as fluff or mostly for entertainment value.

Yes, clearly you're asking questions in this post, and I don't mean this disrespectfully, but you're showing us that you haven't really done any research at all. You need to do more than ask for information. You need to find it. A quick Google will give you far more information. You can't expect to fill a single post with enough information to develop a video.

You need to read all of the 996 boards, reach out to Porsche, aftermarket companies, service techs, buy some books on 996es and 911s, go to Porsche events, talk (face to face) with 996 owners, etc. In other words, you need to actually make an investment. Things like AOS and water pump failures are all over these boards and are well known to buyers/owners. They're a part of the vernacular. Saying they're news to you is like acting surprised the 911 is a rear engined car (something I hope isn't news to you).

It's just my opinion but you need to do a lot more than what you're suggesting you're doing here before you talk about making a video.

-Eric

Last edited by Sue Esponte; 11-28-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

My tip: Learn how to fix it yourself. This makes a 996 and any other car, much more affordable.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM
carlylespicks
Banned

Yes. That IS how you research. It's called being thorough. You don't just look at one source, you look at as many sources as you can find and then in the end you analyze all your data and make some judgement calls on the validity of the data and publish your results. Talking to people who actually own the cars is a GREAT source of information. For the most part, nobody is trying to sell me anything here, they are just sharing their experiences. IF I talk to a dealer or Porsche shop, it's in their best interest to sugar coat certain things. I'm aware that some owners can be a bit biased as well. Hence...checking multiple sources and relying on my own experiences.

So do you have some magic research method I'm unaware off? Also note I did not come here empty handed. I came with my initial summary based on my research thus far. So it should be extremely obvious that I'm not in fact just "Gathering the random opinions of people".

Also, it would appear my research is so far effective because I dare you to challenge my list thus far as far as a solid starting point and summary of things to look at when buying the 996. Keep in mind, that a good PPI should cover all the basis and really not require any else from you but for you to make a decision. Can you tell me what else you need to look at beyond a solid PPI?

Originally Posted by rpm's S2

Oh dear.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:33 PM
thklinge
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Most important tip I can give based on my own experience: Get a warranty that will replace your engine when it fails, and never let it expire. All Carrera engines have cylinders that grow more and more oval until the wall eventually cracks. I would have either gotten a warranty that includes the engine or selected a very low mileage car with upgraded IMS/RMS.

Don't get me wrong, the 996 is a fantastic car to own and use... When the engine doesn't disintegrate itself.
Also note that GT2/GT3/Turbos have a different construction and even with tuning is close to bulletproof.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

"My tip: Learn how to fix it yourself. This makes a 996 and any other car, much more affordable."

He actually makes sense for a change.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

One constructive thing I would like to add to this based on your list is that I don't think the amount of previous owners should hold a lot of weight when it comes to Porsches. A lot of people use and buy Porsches as their secondary car or leisure ride and less for "basic" transportation. As such people often sell off their cars when they feel like it might feel like it's geting too impractical to keep it or often times,I find they just wanna try something else whether it's a different/newer Porsche or entirely new manufacturer. It's not like "basic" transportation where people get rid of it due to upkeep, reliability, repair issues as much.

If the records are all there, I don't think there should be as much emphasis placed on the amount of owners.

Another "opinion".
Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 PM
carlylespicks
Banned

No offense taken, however worthwhile to whom? As a buyer, I would find the list I have so far very useful as is. It's a lot of time doing searches and talking to people all compressed into one short list. I would very much find value in such list.

Remember, just like you guys suggest I look at different sources, so should the buyer. I think you guys are treating this as a definitive complete guide of buying a 996. This is free information provided to buyers at my expense. It will be available for people to take what they want from it. It's not like I'm selling something or expecting dealers to use it or anything.

Also, I think you are making this more complicated than it needs to be. What more than a PPI would a buyer need to do that is unique to this car? I doubt you can come up with anything that would be excluded from a good PPI(not all PPIs are equal). Considering my list goes over much more than just "Go have a PPI done and run with it", I think the list is solid and I don't think you disagree IF you look at this project for what it is. A basic buyer guide to get a buyer with no knowledge about the car started.

I've informed them that car does have known issues and I pointed out the big ones AND I've advised a PPI to be done. Things like Carfax are not unique to this car. I'm focusing on 996 issues and I expect the viewer to get a good sense of what they are possibly greeting into so they can have a good starting point for their own research. Just like I have to consider credibility of advise here, so will they. They will be expected go out on their own and confirm the info. Without his guide you could spend a good time figuring out what to search for in Google and getting little pieces of info here and there and have to read through a lot of threads as the information is scattered and not formatted for your benefit. I'm compiling a lot of that stuff into one place. There are much more thorough guides available if a person wants that, however I disagree with some of what they say, which again is why ALL buyers would need to look around. I'm just giving them a jump start.

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
If you're using this post as the basis for producing a video for 996 buyers you're years from producing something worthwhile...unless you want it to be perceived as fluff or mostly for entertainment value.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
carlylespicks
Banned

I aggree with your point but it's just your opinion. I'm preparing a scientific document.

Seriously the issue with multiple owners is just like "Was it driven hard". It's a Porsche, it's built to drive hard. A car driven fast may possibly last just as long as one that never get's close to redline if the hard driven car is well cared for. The issue is the lighly driven car caries less risk. A fast driver may be putting all kinds of stress on the car and wearing parts out OR not.

So 1 owner could do more damage than 10 good owners, BUT the 10 owner is a higher risk. Does the seller know anything about owners 1-8? Very unlikely. So if you value knowing a little something about who the previous owners were like I do, you want less owners. Best case is a 1 owner car that bought the car and serviced it where you are buying it. The seller knows the owner. Was it some young hotblooded kid or an older family guy? Now that kid could take better care of the car for all you know but when you buy a used car you are taking a chance. You have to take leaps of faith and to do that you need information and to make judgments on that information, all the while realizing you could be guessing wrong.

Originally Posted by alpine003
One constructive thing I would like to add to this based on your list is that I don't think the amount of previous owners should hold a lot of weight when it comes to Porsches.

Quick Reply: 996 Buyer tips?