996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

can water get in the air intake???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Franki_targa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can water get in the air intake???

I was just wondering if water can get through the openings on the rear hatch. Since the intake is right there.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes but there are holes at the bottom of the airbox to drain the water
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. That's why you should never drive your Porsche in the rain. They are like delicate flowers.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Franki_targa
I was just wondering if water can get through the openings on the rear hatch. Since the intake is right there.
Never tried but if air can get in so can water.

I've driven in very heavy rain more than once with no problems but there was a time I was worried.

It was after a heavy rain with local flooding. Where was I... Oh Higginsville in MO on 13 highway north of I-70.

Some streets were curb deep in water and I took it slow and there were no problems.

But I paused when I came to a rail road undercrossing that was flooded. I was in traffic and couldn't back up. I could tell from the cars coming through from the other direction the water wasn't too deep but I do not recall how deep now only that was over curb deep but under a foot deep I'm pretty sure. (I've seen this collect several feet of water easy but not this time.)

As I was getting ready to enter the water from the other direction a big rig was coming down into the water and I was worried the tire splash would get water into the intake so I got on the CB radio (hand held unit) and called out to the driver to go slow to not splash my car and he answered back he would go slow and he did.

The Boxster made it through with nary a problem.

Might add that when I checked the air filter in my Turbo it looked like it had gotten a bit wet. I am careful when I *wash* the car and spray water in that area but I don't worry even when the car it out in the rain. I know the engine gets wet because the belt slips upon startup and at least once the engine misfired enough to turn on the CEL.

Last edited by Macster; 11-10-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Changed "watch" to *wash*...sigh.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

A little water in the engine is actually good for it. Cleans out the combustion chamber. As long as it doesn't hydrolocks, it will be fine and for that, you need a ton of water.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 AM
deptotpr
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Just found this thread. Florida had 4" of rain this morning, and on start up sounded like a knocking generator. Glad to read there is a drain.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by deptotpr
Just found this thread. Florida had 4" of rain this morning, and on start up sounded like a knocking generator. Glad to read there is a drain.
Beside the fact that you started it, I guess you lucked out with keeping your immobilizer intact during the rain.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,187 Likes on 759 Posts

Live in Florida. Sometimes we get torrential local rain...just enough time to dump 3-4 inches in some places and flood the roads. During an air filter change I had the airbox out and did a little mental calculating. There is one small drain hole in the bottom of the airbox. With the snorkle on the airbox and rising to the bottom of the spoiler, I figured during the locally heavy rain quite a bit of water would get in there. So I flipped over the airbox and made that drain hole larger, then added two more on the bottom along the slope where the water can collect. Maybe just peace of mind...but after many air filter changes I've never noticed any sign of water that has got on the filter.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:02 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by deptotpr
Check your frunk for water encroachment. When left outside during torrential rains these cars have been known to collect rain water in the brake master cylinder vacuum assist chamber. (I don't remember just how it gets in there) Upon start up the vacuum from the engine sucks the water out of the vacuum chamber and into the engine where it hydro-locks the cylinders.

Sounds like you may have had some of this happening. Hopefully your engine was not harmed.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Yes. That's why you should never drive your Porsche in the rain. They are like delicate flowers.

+1

Quick Reply: can water get in the air intake???