See attached video.
Any thoughts?

possibilities:

1. Bad oil pressure relief valve
2. Bad oil pressure sensor
3. Bad ground
4. Bad connectors to oil pressure sensor

Anything else?

Last edited by roadsession; 10-25-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,482 Likes on 815 Posts

99% chance it's 2 or 4. Replace the oil pressure sending unit. Takes about 20 minutes and the part is only ~$40 or so.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I am the last person to give mechanical advice, but I did notice that your rpm's were low (well under 2k for much of the video. Looked like when you got over 3k the oil pressure seemed normal. ?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It looks like a bad connection at the oil pressure sensor, I would first check there and see if that solves the problem.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You are way too low with your revs. Keep it at 2500 upwards at all time and the oil pressure will behave itself. You are going to **** that engine up driving like that. The higher the revs, the higher and more steady the oil pressure becomes especially as the engine reaches its higher temps. What's that about 'drive it like you stole it'? Not in your case but at least keep the engine reving higher and use your lower gears. There is no correct time to try and save gas in these cars. Hey thats my speel on the matter like it or lump it. Oh I just saw that Gonzo noticed the same thing..... Good on you Gonzo
Old 10-26-2012, 01:47 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
You are way too low with your revs. Keep it at 2500 upwards at all time and the oil pressure will behave itself. You are going to **** that engine up driving like that. The higher the revs, the higher and more steady the oil pressure becomes especially as the engine reaches its higher temps. What's that about 'drive it like you stole it'? Not in your case but at least keep the engine reving higher and use your lower gears. There is no correct time to try and save gas in these cars. Hey thats my speel on the matter like it or lump it. Oh I just saw that Gonzo noticed the same thing..... Good on you Gonzo
Right - I'm trying to save gas :rolleyes
This has nothing to do with "low revs" good grief - this is about an erratic bouncing oil pressure gauge - and I'm purposely going slow at low revs to illustrate the large swings in oil pressure readings on the gauge.

And if you bothered to see the video I'm already at engine temp.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
It looks like a bad connection at the oil pressure sensor, I would first check there and see if that solves the problem.
Thanks - another sign of the sender going bad is that with the key in on position without engine running the oil pressure gauge reads 0.5bar - it should read zero right?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
Thanks - another sign of the sender going bad is that with the key in on position without engine running the oil pressure gauge reads 0.5bar - it should read zero right?
Yup. Should read 0.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:59 AM
heligear
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a similar problem, on mine it was the pressure sending unit, a quick and easy fix
Old 10-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

I saw your video and thats why I gave my opinion. I watched it again in case I missed something.. Nope..Have it your way and change the oil pressure sending unit or at least check the connections and good luck. I cant see that changing driving habits though. 35mph in 5th gear DUH. Thats not normal driving so why would you drive that way to show us a video? Beats me.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
I saw your video and thats why I gave my opinion. I watched it again in case I missed something.. Nope..Have it your way and change the oil pressure sending unit or at least check the connections and good luck. I cant see that changing driving habits though. 35mph in 5th gear DUH. Thats not normal driving so why would you drive that way to show us a video? Beats me.
Perhaps you've spent too much time trying to sort out your wiring problems and finding newbies to beat up whenever they have a problem with their cars. You have a common theme in your replies to people's threads when they post some issue with their cars - you come at it from one of anger first - as if we are all silly amateurs who should know better and can be 'schooled' by you. Please stop hijacking this thread with your rants that don't have anything to do with addressing the issue of a potentially bad sensor
Old 10-26-2012, 06:32 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Driving 35 mph in 5th gear is (unfortunately) pretty standard in a Tip car. Don't blame the driver, it's just the way things are.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

oh its not a manual gear change car and more like an automatic. I didnt realize that. I retract my message and sorry for upsetting you.

Note to self... Never buy a tiptronic car.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 10-27-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: NAME that problem: Video of strange oil pressure gauge behavior