ims bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:48 PM
angelyno55
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ims bearing

hey there !!!
i heard that i can take the ims bearin off the shaft if the engine is desasambled. well, my engine is totaly apart, but i din't want to mess up the shaft trying to take the bearing out. if any of you knows what tool should i use or how to do it safely, please share it with me... i woul'd apreciated
thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check these links out from LN Engineering:

2 LN Engineering site on IMS
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 PM
luvmy911
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh - and they sell the specialty tools to remove the IMS:

Bearing puller and adapter for extracting the existing bearing from the original center stud/bearing support as well as the adapter for extracting the LN bearing from the center stud.
Bearing driver tool to allow easy installation of the new bearing
"Easy Out" adapter to allow extraction of bearing using the LN Engineering bearing puller when and if the center stud/bearing support is broken or breaks during extraction
Crankshaft Pully TDC Lock Pin to secure the engine at the proper position to do an IMS Retrofit™
Camshaft locks for both early 5-chain and later 3-chain engines (kit includes one ea.)

Due to the extreme value of this kit, it is only available for purchase with any qualifying IMS Retrofit™ Kit purchase.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Or you can make an IMS bearing puller yourself. I did it, Ir's not that difficult.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Have the replacement bearing, tool kit and instructions ON HAND before moving forward.
Otherwise you'll make critical mistakes within the first 5 minutes of the retrofit process.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Have the replacement bearing, tool kit and instructions ON HAND before moving forward.
Otherwise you'll make critical mistakes within the first 5 minutes of the retrofit process.
Any chance of sharing what those critical mistakes are?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 PM
KC-944 Turbo
Racer

IMo000 - That's a good question. But arn't you asking for the secret recipe?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Any chance of sharing what those critical mistakes are?
The reason I will not answer this question is:
- over time things change, what that's stated today will change when someone looks at this 5 years from now after more evolution has occurred.

- People who have purchased cheap kits that are developed and circulated by those who have never assembled an M96 engine would call us and ask us questions about what's posted.

- Installers would begin the process before having the kit and instructions on hand. They would screw up the cam timing and then it would be my fault. These people would call expecting us to help them (even though they did not purchase the kit from us with its included support) and would be told no. They would then be pissed at us.

So... Buy a real kit developed and applied by the people who did all of this first. Then await the kit to arrive and follow the instructions that come with that kit explicitly. Trust that those instructions are the latest and most up to date available.

Else you'll learn that haste makes waste. You'll then be able to testify that it is routine to rush failure, but success simply cannot be rushed.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 PM
angelyno55
Track Day

i know, i've seen that link, but what i heard it's easyer, or don't need the special tools if the engine is apart. so my question was, what kind of tools should i use to extract the bearing.

Quick Reply: ims bearing