Sponsored by:

Made an Offer on This 996 C4S, Please Give Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Looks Like This is the One

Hans is setup to do the PPI at RAC. If it passes with no major issues, this is my first Porsche. I have to admit Im excited about getting the car. Dallas is only about 5 hours from me. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Congrats! I hope it's everything you're expecting it to be!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
What happened, how did you know it had broken?
It began with a little gear whine from the front end. I had the fluid changed at my scheduled 90K maintenance, and that seemed to quiet it down a little bit. However, the whine came back after a few thousand miles. Over a very short period of time, the whine became an alarming noise from the front end that almost sounded like a belt slipping. It happened most frequently on deceleration.

When my indy got it apart, it was obvious that the bearings were worn out. One of the cages that retains the bearings was damaged to the point that the bearings were about to spill out into the differential case. Fortunately that didn't happen. Porsche considers the front differential to be a non-servicable part. The replacement part alone is ~$7,000. I considered a used part that somebody had taken from a turbo to convert it to a pseudo-GT2 (quite common), but ultimately my indy was able to get the parts and do a complete rebuild (including a new viscous coupling). Everything's good now!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:37 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I looked at that car online for a while. Somehow I remember it had 7 owners but I don't see a carfax anymore online. Maybe they took it off because that was causing the car to sit on their lot. But if you decide to keep the car for a long time then you won't have to worry about resale value.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

If it is under 30....good grab. I wish I could sell my C4 to get back to a C4S.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Be very careful buying from that dealership. In fact, they are very close to RAC in Addison, and I would insist that the car goes there for a PPI before you exchange any $$$. My guess is they will refuse to allow RAC to do the inspection and give you some BS about RAC being way too picky. I'd believe what Hans and his team at RAC say about any car before I bought it.

Consider yourself warned based on personal experience. Do not rush this deal no matter how good it seems until the PPI is done.
Great helpful post...... Thats what we need.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:01 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car looks great! good luck
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Ditto on the left rear brake rotor. Looks significantly scored.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I have been looking for a 996 way too long and have made an offer on another car. They called me today with a reasonable counter-offer. Please give a look and tell me what to watch out for about the AWD system. If they accept I will pickup car this week. Thank you.

http://www.texasimportsales.com/web/...Texas/1077466/
First and foremost I would NEVER buy a used car from any Mexico bordering state, 'way to much chance of getting a "salvage" car without being so labelled.

Second, if you truly have need for R/awd only the later 997 models with the electromagnetically actuated coupling clutch, PRE-EMPTIVELY engaged clutch, will suffice. The VC implemention is only functional, can only be function with PSM (TC) OFF. TC does not allow even a smidgin of wheelspin/slip therefore the VC will forever remain flaccid. Even with TC disabled you would be hard put to get more than the 5% or so of "base" rear to front torque coupling.

For those Subaru fans...the new WRX has a (much) looser VC torque coupling onset via reformulation of the VC fluid since TC never allows it to engage anyway.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wwest
First and foremost I would NEVER buy a used car from any Mexico bordering state, 'way to much chance of getting a "salvage" car without being so labelled.
LOL what?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 PM
FastStreet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
First and foremost I would NEVER buy a used car from any Mexico bordering state, 'way to much chance of getting a "salvage" car without being so labelled. .
Also don't get any car in a state bordering the ocean or a state that gets snow. In fact to be really safe don't get a car from any state. I also have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Or buy it on any day ending in "Y"

Quick Reply: Made an Offer on This 996 C4S, Please Give Advice