Sponsored by:

Made an Offer on This 996 C4S, Please Give Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Made an Offer on This 996 C4S, Please Give Advice

I have been looking for a 996 way too long and have made an offer on another car. They called me today with a reasonable counter-offer. Please give a look and tell me what to watch out for about the AWD system. If they accept I will pickup car this week. Thank you.

http://www.texasimportsales.com/web/...Texas/1077466/
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Not sure there's really much for you to watch out for on the AWD system. The mileage is still low enough that the fluids won't have been changed. I guess you might want to confirm that the tire/wheel sizes haven't been changed to avoid any rotation speed differences. Otherwise, as long as you start it up and see the PSM system working you're probably in good shape.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:36 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks beautiful!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I have been looking for a 996 way too long and have made an offer on another car. They called me today with a reasonable counter-offer. Please give a look and tell me what to watch out for about the AWD system. If they accept I will pickup car this week. Thank you.

http://www.texasimportsales.com/web/...Texas/1077466/
Finding the right car for you can take time. Relax. This is not a race.

The car from the pics looks ok to me. Nothing out of place.

The only small (very small) "thing" I noticed were the rear brake rotors looked a bit scored but that's it.

When I have talked to the techs about my Turbo's AWD system, which is the same system used in the car you are looking at, they have told me their experience is it is a very robust system. They have replaced a few front diffs with the only symptom is noise.

Also, there have been a few (very few) cardan shafts act up, not so much the shaft but one of the bearings in front diff housing that gets noisy and the shaft develops some play.

Take a test ride in the car. Take it for a test drive. I doubt you'll be in a situation you can even note the AWD system is working -- even driving my 03 Turbo in a couple of inches of snow with (new) summer tires mounted I really never felt anything that made me go "oh that's the AWD system..."

Just be sure under straight line and in right and left hand turns with acceleration or braking the diff, the entire drive train, is quiet, no groans, clunks, or any odd movement at the steering wheel.

Lastly, do not focus so much on the AWD system that you ignore the engine or the rest of the car.

It is just a used car so a thorough used car check out is paramount.

After the test ride/drive check the car's systems out.

Then get a PPI. This is when the car will be lifted in the air and the front diff inspected for leaks, or other signs of issues, the CV boots for tears/cracks, the cardan shaft for any play, and of course the rest of the drive train and the rest of the car for any signs of issues, fluid leaks, and so on.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:39 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I commented on this particular in one of your other threads. If it is as good as the photo's make it look it seems worth pursuing the due diligence. I have had no issues with the AWD on my C4S, but it is just approaching 35K miles - I put 12K miles on it in the past 12 months.

It is superb handling machine - but I don't think the AWD is what some folks expect it to me - meaning I doubt that it is the kind of snow car that some people might expect it to be.

Price, especially if you are negotiating below the internet price, could be a steal. But if the car is not truly straight, purchase price won't mean a thing.

I hope it works out, I know you are sort of chomping at the bit to be behind the wheel, and I am sure that all of us fully understand that feeling.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Be very careful buying from that dealership. In fact, they are very close to RAC in Addison, and I would insist that the car goes there for a PPI before you exchange any $$$. My guess is they will refuse to allow RAC to do the inspection and give you some BS about RAC being way too picky. I'd believe what Hans and his team at RAC say about any car before I bought it.

Consider yourself warned based on personal experience. Do not rush this deal no matter how good it seems until the PPI is done.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:47 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane
Consider yourself warned based on personal experience. Do not rush this deal no matter how good it seems until the PPI is done.

Just to make sure the OP does not miss this.

Dude......really, slow down and take your time and do not force yourself to buy a Porsche just because you just got to have one.

Based on your several threads, I have seen your choices/picks change in a span of a few days. The right car is out there for you. You will know it and won't even have to ask the opinions of "strangers" here.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 PM
42empress
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.northbayimports.com/east-...529433-n7370ra

These people are good guys. I had my RS4 serviced there and bought a GTI from them.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 PM
spender
Pro

From my research over the years, it is very rare for the 996 C4/C4S/Turbo AWD system to break - it's a good system based on the Japanese-engineered Subaru AWD system (of several years ago, mind you) that is based on vanes, silicone, and differential axle speeds. It's not like the AWD from the 964s and 993s, as these had complex mechanical AWD systems that would need expensive overhauls at least every 100,000 miles.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C4s around 30k is a great price. I had an opportunity to get one with x51 and pccb but missed it.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Looks great!

I think the only potential issue with the AWD system is the need for a rebuild or replacement of the front differential. I believe this is uncommon, although it did happen to me (at over 100K miles). It was expensive, but now it's fixed and as good as new.

The C4S is a great car...
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM
spender
Pro

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Looks great!

I think the only potential issue with the AWD system is the need for a rebuild or replacement of the front differential. I believe this is uncommon, although it did happen to me (at over 100K miles). It was expensive, but now it's fixed and as good as new.

The C4S is a great car...
What happened, how did you know it had broken?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll echo the other advice here. GET A PPI. For many, including myself, this is an emotional purchase. Do your best to remove that piece from the transaction. It doesn't look like this combination is a rare one, and as others have said, there are plenty of fish in the sea...

But get the PPI. That process isn't perfect and is no guarantee, but it is a must. Be prepared to walk away.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, they accepted the offer. If all goes well I will pick the car up this week. I hope the dealer is being up front about the car and its not another huge let down. I am trying to reach Hans about the PPI. Thanks all.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats, that's great to hear !! I hope the PPI checks out great. Is the place local to you then ?

Quick Reply: Made an Offer on This 996 C4S, Please Give Advice